Am I a bad horsey owner!

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Well i got to the farm last night did all my jobs and then decided i was going to ride out! So i started brushing him and was brushing under his belly and started around his sheath area as very muddy and he started getting agitated and kicking out at me! So i look at his sheath and its bright red! poor lad had a very big rash round there with what looked like mud but i dont think it was! It was very crusty too! I cleaned it up with hibiscrub and put some cool skin ointment on that smells like tar really good stuff! I am annoyed at myself for not noticing it before it must have been there a few days as it was crusty! Shows how much attention i have not been giving my horse!

I felt really sorry for him and he was soo good he stood there and let me clean it! He seemed to be at ease when i put the cream on so i decided not to ride and he was a bit agitated too! Do you think i should ride him today or leave him??

Poor gg bad mummy!

ljubb

Visit site
See how it is later

Dont be too tough on yourself - id blame the dark nights and mornings myself, if we had sunshine you would have been able to see!
cool.gif

tremorfa

Visit site
Just a tip, if you use udder cream to keep sheath clean, it keeps it lubricated. If you use something like hibbiscrub, you will tend to dry things out, so udder cream or similar(After you have used hibbiscrub) is a good idea. Don'd knock yourself out, I know people who are amazed that I keep Clyde's willie clean!

_OC_

Visit site
I really don't think you should beat yourself up over this.....it is really difficult to spot everything.....and this time of the year even more so.....I gave my cob a good going over last night with a brush,sponge and some warm water!......I always check legs and I'm just as guilty neglecting the willie area...I would leave him for a few days just to allow the area to calm down!