Am i a bit mad?!! Talk to me about poodles!

pinball

Visit site
poiutrewq she takes him every 6-8 weeks. He is a strange creature loves mud water anything ruff and tumble . but quite happy to snuggle on the sofa.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
My aunt and uncle have had 3 (?) former brood bitches, retired by a local breeder. They have all been very intelligent, easily trainable little things, although one was very nervous of strangers and occasional visitors to the house. One, in particular, could fetch a named toy out of a basket full of dog toys, unfailingly correctly. She would also put her toys away.

Oh who is that from? PM me if you want :)

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I'm late to this part - but yes to poodles!
I have three - two mins and a toy. The mins are hilariously funny and very social. The toy is that and devilishly smart.

Anything the mins can do he can do better and faster, and learned it quicker too. He misses NOTHING! So be careful what you drop, he will have it before you realise you're missing it.

I show mine as well - so yes I have poncy trims - but that does not stop them from running in fields, playing in the snow and doing agility. It just takes a little extra care and maintenance. But I'm a groomer so I don't mind. Nothing to say your well bred happy poodle can't have a short hair cut. They don't care so long as they are doing something.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry, if I ever knew his name, I've forgotten it now. And I'm afraid that I never knew the show/pedigree names of of the dogs, just their kennel names.

RunToEarth

Visit site
My friend has a standard poodle which he brings out shooting, she is a fantastic retriever on the duck drives, perhaps the best retrieves I’ve seen on the pond.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The bad teeth rings a bell: is it a breed thing? And why do they have the reputation of ‘little old lady’ dog? Although I think the bichon frise has now taken that title!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
The bad teeth rings a bell: is it a breed thing? And why do they have the reputation of ‘little old lady’ dog? Although I think the bichon frise has now taken that title!

Poodles generally do not, nor should they have bad teeth. Sometimes the toys can have iffy mouths in terms of good bite / dentination but that comes I have been informed by a breeder, due to the fact that these dogs lose some structure soundness through breeding small. My toy had a misaligned tooth that I worried about to start with but it came right on it's own.

In my own observation of dog mouths and bad dental hygiene, I think sometimes the dogs with narrow mouths like poodles, minpins, etc - can sometimes be harder to look after and maybe prone to dental disease but that is a management issue rather than a genetic fault.

***sorry I'm in fits of laughter at the moment while two of my poodles are doing the wall of death round the livingroom***

Ok I'm back *giggle*

As for the old lady dog reputation - my biggest pet peeve with any dog but especially poodles is people who get them that don't let them be dogs. Toy poodles are so small and tend to get carried about which seems practical when they are tiny so they don't get stood on. But then their behaviour starts to change and they can become weak individuals who demand to be carried and are frightened of the ground. I have had toy breeds before and they were always running around with the horses, chickens, llamas and did not intend to treat my poodle very differently. In fact he flies in for a quick cuddle and runs off again to do boy stuff. Like pee on twigs lol

Miniatures are too big to carry about (my two are about 9.5 kg each and I'm not lugging them around!) and they are very happy to be roughty toughty dogs that go in water and rummage in bushes and roll in nasty things (even in show coats I am sad to say). And standards, never could be ever accused of being old lady dogs unless the old lady was a bad-ass LOL

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Pinball, What sort is he? I'm undecided which i would ideally like toy or miniature. From what i understand the mini's are bigger (your mums chap looks quite big) and nicer temperaments in general?
Also has he been clipped shorter all over and had a pouff left on his head?!!

Breed standards say that the toy is up to 11 in tall, a miniature is over 11 in and up to 15in tall, a standard is over 15 in

Having said that, I have met many of the varieties that fall above or below (more so in mins and toys - standards generally never fall below 15in).

I wouldn't say that mins have better temperaments than toys, but they are more robust. Toys can be a little defensive but they are tiny! Mine is so quick and astute and hardly ever gets stood on because he knows to get out of the road. The mins are forever getting trod on because they just can't seem to get out the way!

A common nickname for poodles: Velcro dogs. They just want to be with you. Once they decide who is their person, they are forever that person's and it will be that person who they always look to be with.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Sorry, if I ever knew his name, I've forgotten it now. And I'm afraid that I never knew the show/pedigree names of of the dogs, just their kennel names.

AH no worries. I know a few good breeders who retire their breeding dogs to be family pets. Just wondering if it was anyone I knew.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Springers are also known as Velcro dogs. Mine likes to lie on my feet in the bathroom and have endless cuddles. Not sure I could do that with a standard!
31388633_10157361095904377_5521571996816637952_o.jpg

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Springers are also known as Velcro dogs. Mine likes to lie on my feet in the bathroom and have endless cuddles. Not sure I could do that with a standard!
31388633_10157361095904377_5521571996816637952_o.jpg

Aw that face :)

And sure you could do that with a standard. My sister used to have one, long before I fell in love with the breed. He was a farm dog, ran with the beasts all day. He was not allowed on the furniture. However when I came to visit he was allowed on my lap and he would turn himself in to a tiny wee ball of dog so that he could achieve full lap cuddles without touching the sofa LOL

That was when I officially fell in love with poodles. I was going to have a white standard bitch. I got a black min dog. Go figure. I won't have a standard now only because I can't be doing with the time spent grooming them in full coat. And they can run faster than me in the ring so I'll stick to mins and toys ;)