am I a terrible owner?

Allie5

Visit site
I have two lovely young horses. Tommy who's 3 and is my horse of a lifetime. We bought him at 6 months old and he has a home with me for life. I also have Bradley who's Tommys 2 yr old full brother and who has been with me for about 6 months.
So I haven't sat on a horse since my last loan horse went home to make space for Bradley and I am really really missing riding. So much so that I considered selling Bradley now to be able to have something to ride. I've luckily found a lovely horse on my yard to ride as his owner is really busy with her other horse needing care/rehab with a sdft injury so that's not an issue anymore. However its left me feeling really guilty! I have always just loved being around horses, caring, groundwork etc and I never really thought riding was that important but I can't believe how strong the desire to ride was. Does that make me a terribly uncaring owner? Willing to ship off one of my horses just so that I can ride! Please just reassure me!

mandwhy

Visit site
Nooo not at all! I always felt like a bad owner for not being bothered to ride enough, and now I have broken my arm I am finding it all a bit of a chore and thinking of ditching the silly beast back to his owner (who doesn't like him and god knows where he'd end up) so I can buy something less silly when I'm better! Mega guilt (although arm is kind if his doing haha)! There would be nothing wrong with you selling him if you wanted to but glad you have something to ride now :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
No. It would be very different if you had thought about passing on an old or unrideable injured one so you can have one to ride. But nothing wrong with wanting to sell a decent one for one you can ride.

NooNoo59

Visit site
My horse is lame probably until after Christmas, thought i was fine with the no riding thing until i hacked out someones horse and i felt so much better!
So I am now riding this horse a couple of times a week, its what i do - i dont do shopping etc so i miss it, although my boy did give me a very dirty look the other day when he saw me getting on this other one!

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
My horse is lame probably until after Christmas, thought i was fine with the no riding thing until i hacked out someones horse and i felt so much better!
So I am now riding this horse a couple of times a week, its what i do - i dont do shopping etc so i miss it, although my boy did give me a very dirty look the other day when he saw me getting on this other one!

Love the dirty look, One of the livery horses wouldnt stop kicking the door the other evening ehen i was mucking out another stable, I came charging out of the stable, saying, "Benny, for ****** sake, whill you just stop kicking the effin door", he actually rolled his eyes at me, as if to say, that nut job is talking to me again.
By the way, OP, you are not a bad owner, had you planned to keep him forever, prob not, so selling him now, instead of 2 yrs time, less tears, and you'll be happy riding again. If it's meant to be, it will happen!!