Am I an Advert Response Snob?

Munchkin

www.aloegeneration.co.uk and http
At present, I have a pony advertised for loan. I am in no rush to find a home or rider for him, and was always intending only to let him go to the perfect person.

However, the average quality of response to the ad is along the lines of:

"hi, im interested in ur pony, i av ad oses bfor an av riden for yrs, bt dnt drive so it wud av t move."

Ever so slightly paraphrased, but you get the general idea. Now, I'm going to assume these people ride marginally better than they spell, however if, by the age of 20, they are incapable of stringing a sentence together in their first language, surely the intelligence required to keep another living creature alive is lacking?

I've already made up my mind, but interested to hear others' thoughts on this. I personally wouldn't dare to respond to an advert in this manner - surely first impressions count when you're looking to potentially take on responsibility for someone else's horse?

Discuss :)

skint1

Visit site
Well, I try not be like that, but I think it would probably put me off a little, but I feel that it shouldn't put me off because it really may bear no relation to their commitment or experience with horses. So, I don't know if you are or not!

HBM1

Visit site
I am afraid I would ignore it too. If you are going to write to someone the least you can do is not use text speak...

Floxie

Visit site
Afraid I agree - that's just lazy. Writing properly is important to me, so I don't have a lot of respect for someone who can't be bothered to do the same - and before the dyslexia argument springs up again, I do mean lazy writing, or writing that a spelling and grammar check could fix. It just puts me right off :) No, it's not an indication of their riding ability - but if you're not pushed to make a choice, you probably want to look for someone with similar values, and they're probs nt gnna typ lke ths.

HeatherAnn

Visit site
A girl I used to work for was a horrendous speller, could just about throw a sentence together but was an amazing rider and really good horsewoman. Just because someone can't spell does not make them stupid. They may be smart in a less conventional way and it is unfair to those people.

JJones

Visit site
Totally agree with above. I HATE seeing people use that awful slang writing. It automatically makes me think they are chavs or worse!

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
Yes I'm with you on that.

If I was selling something inanimate it wouldn't bother me so long as they had the readies, but for a horse, no chance.

I have acquired animals through adverts of that style, and my assumptions as to the general intelligence of the advertiser based on the appearance of the ad have sadly been proved correct on meeting them.

111ex111

Visit site
Ah, the youth of today..........

she said they were 20 so not really youth
im 17 and would never dream of replying to an advert like that!
when I was looking for a horse to share I emailed formally and politely along the lines of "dear xxx, I am very interested in your horse you have advertised for share, if its possible please could you email me some more details or a contact number, many thanks, xxx"

first impressions mean everything especially if you are looking to take on their horse as your responsibility.
I do wonder what goes through peoples minds. I helped and 11 year old find a pony for loan the other day and she types better than that!

rascal

Visit site
Relpys like that put me off when we advertised our ponys. I would murder daughters for a relpy like that, i dont like text speak at all, so maybe its me whos the snob!

mytwofriends

Visit site
I have no problem with someone who genuinely can't spell or use perfect grammar, but in my opinion it's just a bit rude to use text speak in reply to an ad, no matter what age the respondent.

So yes, I'll join the snobs too if that makes me one ......

HBM1

Visit site
it is not a case of not being able to spell though is it. That is abbreviated text rubbish. I work with a lot of people with dyslexia and have to say all of them have more pride than to write to someone that way. There is a big difference between not being able to spell and not bothering at all.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
No your not a snob, Im the same, cant be doing with the text speak, I get messages on FB and emails asking about my paintings, and I can hardly understand some of them, Im not the best speller and my grammar is not fantastic, but if I was replying to an advert I would at least use spell check..

pavlovscat

Visit site
I'm the same! When I was looking for a sharer last year I had loads of replies, but only one was actually written it 'proper' English, the rest were all text speak. I ignored all the ones in text speak and have been very happy with my sharer!

Echo24

Visit site
I think it's perfectly acceptable. Most people wouldn't consider an advert with terrible spelling and English and I think the same can apply to responses you get. Doesn't bode well with the potential loaner!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I wouldn't accept text responses. Better to get people to call you- that way you can have a chat without judging them based on their grammar/spelling! ;)

Highlands

Visit site
No you are not a snob. We don't talk like that, thank goodness. Ok to se between friends. When the kids email me in text, I cut and paste it straight back and ask them to correct their English. It's rude.

Also urrrgh if they mishear, no its pardon and I don't respond to oi. She would have been taught basic English and GCSEs would nt accept this.

Moon

Visit site
Following this with interest... doing a degree in English lit but currently doing a language module. We have been discussing shortening of words, spelling, text speak etc and whether it matters when you can understand it still. My argument was that of course it matters depending on the context, but you tend to judge someones intelligence and personality from the way they write. il stop rambling now...

pavlovscat

Visit site
Moon, I admit to judging people by the way they write, however politically incorrect it may be to do so! It's almost subconscious, but I feel writing in text speak is inconsiderate and rude as it makes it harder to read (for me at least!) so I subconsciously judge that person as being inconsiderate and rude!

Moon

Visit site
Pavlovscat, your completely right i do think its natural and subconsciously everyone does it to some extent, it even drives me mad on facebook, a totally informal social context, when people put statuses that are spelt ridiculously, more so when words aren't even shortened

Moon

Visit site
But just spelt wrong e.g 'ov- of'.
When speaking to someone you dont know i think its only polite to be formal, like the whole french 'vous' vs. 'tu' scenario.

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
No how you feel.

I've just had one with only one line to it. It read:

"what's the lowest price you would go for your horse?"

Ok, it might be a fair question if he was advertised at POA but he isn't and isn't expensive either. Just gets my back up and makes you think they are not going to look after your horse.

Cheiro1

Visit site
I am with you OP.

I am only 20, however I would never dream of writing to a friend like the above, let alone someone whom I didn't know!!

Infact I don't even use text speak on texts.....

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have no problem with someone who genuinely can't spell or use perfect grammar, but in my opinion it's just a bit rude to use text speak in reply to an ad, no matter what age the respondent.

So yes, I'll join the snobs too if that makes me one ......

I agree with this. It just looks lazy to me, and makes me think that the person would be lazy around the horse! It also makes me feel old!