Am I beating my head against a brick wall with my youngster?

AGray825

Visit site
I would stick to in hand or nothing at all until you know more tbh.
No hurry - why risk things when you have a plan? Le Trec sounds good, huge fan of anything that makes life more interesting for them and more controllable for us! To quote a trainer ... ‘don’t be brave, be trained’!!
Stick to inhand, make doing stuff together fun for your both.

See what the vet says and make a plan from there but just keep reminding yourself...... No pressure.

Thank you all! You've all made feel better about my plans then
He seems more content this evening as well so maybe the in hand walking is already giving some improvement... taken the pressure off him as well maybe?

Hopefully there's no big issues found on Monday and we can continue to take things steadier and more interesting for him... both in the saddle and on the ground

I can do more schooling with my girl anyway as she's getting into and enjoying her dressage training!

Equi

Visit site
I do find the slow and steady method works best when breaking. I only break to drive but i do a few sessions then give a break then do another few then a break then maybe do once a week. The horses tend to not get wound up cause they are not anticipating having to do anything and tend to be a lot more relaxed. The one i did do more intensive work with got very wound up and i eventually ended up in a hedge lol of course to fitten a horse up they need work but it can come in so many other forms.

AGray825

Visit site
So we had the vet out today... not exactly the news i was after but at least now I know he's not a horse with a nasty temperament

He's been diagnosed with suspensory damage to both hind tendons, worse on left hind and only mild on right hind but still present in both and early warning signs of arthritic changes in his hocks

Luckily there's minimal changes to his broken fore foot (other than the presence of a corn :/)

So not great in any way. The vet has recommended that we continue with light in hand walking exercises to keep his mind active and joints moving, then we reassess in three months and if no improvement then we begin shockwave therapy

Keep fingers crossed for us guys! We've got a long road ahead of us.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm glad that you have found a clear answer. Has your vet given you any reason why you should delay the shockwave?

AGray825

Visit site
I'm glad that you have found a clear answer. Has your vet given you any reason why you should delay the shockwave?

He didn't mention a reason, just said that he wanted to let time and rest have a chance first

He did say that these sort of injuries can heal quite nicely, they just take a lot of time and as long as he's not stupid (which he's not been before) we should get there

I, personally, think in three months time we might be doing to shockwaves therapy. But I'll stick to what the vet says and allow time and patience a chance first!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Interesting. The one I've known given shockwave was done immediately and made a great recovery. I hope yours responds to the rest and saves you the money for the treatment.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Is he insured? actually on further thinking 3 months isn't that long as to be too problematic from that point of view.

AGray825

Visit site
Is he insured? actually on further thinking 3 months isn't that long as to be too problematic from that point of view.

Yes he's insured as long as it's not in the left fore foot (the pedal bone break foot)

I have a lot of trust in my vet and I know he'd never risk my boy's health by delaying essential treatment

At the moment I think it's at the stage where just rest can fix it... but if in 3 months rest hasn't done anything then we have to look at alternative treatment

Was just looking at putting him on tendoneaze.... might not do anything at all but I imagine it couldn't hurt?

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Well done for listening to him.

Sometimes just rest does wonders. I'm not a big fan of box rest. My big lad had two months box rest and it didn't work so he had eight months in a feild for his right hind suspensory branch injury.
Two years on and he is sound and in work.

Think your vet has a good plan.

Keep us updated.

AGray825

Visit site
Well done for listening to him.

Sometimes just rest does wonders. I'm not a big fan of box rest. My big lad had two months box rest and it didn't work so he had eight months in a feild for his right hind suspensory branch injury.
Two years on and he is sound and in work.

Think your vet has a good plan.

Keep us updated.

No my vet doesn't like box rest either, will only prescribe it if absolutely necessary (such as the pedal bone break)

He's only a young horse at the end of the day and if rest and rehab is what he needs right now then rest and rehab is what he's going to get

I'm in no rush to get on his back, my girl is still a ridden horse and getting on quite nicely with her dressage work

So long as he's comfortable out in the field without anything like bute (which he is, no bute prescribed) then I'm happy to give him as long as he needs

jj_87

Visit site
Glad you have got a reason for his behaviour, my mare did her hind suspensories 5 years ago we took our time and had her back out about 18 months later, we took it very slow, 3 years later she then broke her pedal bone in her left fore cantering up our favourite canter hill :(