Am I being realistic??

fools_ gold

Visit site
I am looking to buy another horse... But I cannot find what I want!
Is it me being unrealistic?

I am looking for the following....

- Preferably a Gelding
- 15.2hh to 16.3hh (give or take)
- Middle weight, nothing too heavy (just personal pref. got nothing against heavy weights)
- Not too fussed about age as long as he's got a few years left in him to do a bit of everything - I can offer a lovely retirement when the time comes as we have our own land.
- He has to be suitable for Mum and Sister to ride, they have lots of experience but are out of practice, so he needs to be suitable for novice riders. Plus I would love to get my OH on horse back and he has only ridden twice.
- He will be mainly used for hacking, maybe some local shows - jumping & XC... just for fun so doesn't have to be a super star.
- Just a good all round, sound, sane horse!

Here's the clincher... I don't have a very big budget - £1500 max or £1800 including tack....

Am I being totally unrealistic with what I can get?

LaurenBay

Visit site
I think your budget is a too low for this type of Horse. A horse that is is able to carry a novice around and then take an experiened rider around a XC course are worth there weight in gold!

WandaMare

Visit site
I don't think it would be impossible to find a horse which matches your list, but you might have to spend quite a long time searching....I think its the price which could be tricky, unless you do go for something older. But something with enough spark and energy to take you XC and novice enough for your other family members to ride could prove a very popular type, hence quite pricey.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Unfortunately you have described what probably 75% of riders want & they are like gold dust & thus command a good price. I know a dealer who says that he wishes he could fill his stables with horses of this description because he could sell them all day.

I think you'll have to up the amount you are prepared to spend or modify your wish list. Good Luck in your search. :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
It's possible, but unless its either pretty old or has something that decreases the value ( eg cribs, has had lami etc) I think they'll be few & far between.

fools_ gold

Visit site
Hmmmm, thought you might say that!

Was thinking if I went for an older horse I might get something close to what I want... But I haven't found anything!

Might be time to ask for a pay rise :)

Miss L Toe

Visit site
As time goes on, your pot of gold should be increasing, so week by week you can buy a better horse.
With all your requirements, I would be wary of suddenly thinking an older horse is the answer, a push button sound experienced older horse is rare. Just save up and open your options.
£300 pound for tack, does that include rugs, to be honest I have turned people away because they are , sorry, "cheapskates" and I want my boy to be looked after properly.

Last edited:

elsielouise

Visit site
Have to say I agree with general consensus, your budget perhaps needs a rethink.

I have pretty much what you describe although she is a bit too strong to be a complete novice ride she is very safe. My non riding husband can ride her and she can do a ode with me and hack with him.

But although she is thirteen now I'd still say she is worth more than your budget as I was made a genuine offer for her last winter of six thousand from someone who knows her. She has no great competition record although is well put together and not badly bred.

Her big plus is she is genuine so I think if you want to minimise risk and get what you need you will have to be prepared to spend a bit more or modify your list. Maybe looking at age first?

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think unless its only got a year or 2 left to do stuff like xc you'd still struggle on the age. I've got a 23 yr old who can still do lower level stuff, being a pony still has plenty of years left at low level & a local dealer always jokes she'll offer me more than that cos she's so genuine & 100% in everyway.( only 14.2 tho so it could be her values higher cos she's cheap to keep & appealing to mums to keep their kids safe)

BlackVelvet

Visit site
Have you tried riding schools etc?
I was lucky to find one when a riding school was closing down. But agree in the other posts, what your looking for is gold dust & its unlikely to find something that ideal that cheap!

fools_ gold

Visit site
Mmm yeh agreed, maybe I should just wait or maybe dig into my savings to up the budget.
In regards to the question about the £300- was thinking that would just be a rough estimate for a new saddle - although likely to be more I'm sure. I have most other things that will be needed and figure things like nice thick winter rugs wont be needed till next winter now, so I have a bit of time to save... I assure you when it comes to my animals no expense is spared :)
Wish I had a budget of £6000... That would solve a lot of problems!
Riding school could be an idea, although I'm sure unless they are closing or similar, they hold onto their horses as like you say they really are gems!
I'm on my phone so can't see who I should be replying to now! But thanks for your help!

Tuffles 23

Visit site
Hi i payed £1500 for my old boy a few years ago and he came with all tack and rugs (really good saddle) he was in his mid teens but sound as a bell and he's 22 now and still fit as a fiddle :D

ghostie

Visit site

fools_ gold

Visit site
Thanks for all the links guys...

A few potentials there... although some just a little too far away... I'm willing to travel but maybe not as far as Devon - I'm moving to Norfolk tomorrow!

Think I might have found a horse through a friend who wants her lovely eventer to go into semi- retirement - he's a total gent/ schoolmaster and she would be happy for him to do some local comps and lots of chilled hacking which is ideal - fingers crossed!

She's not 100% sure what she is going to do with him yet though - so if anyone finds anything suitable send me the link!

Ooooo I'm feeling all happy and summery today - can't wait for some long lazy hacks in the sun! :)

Troyseph

Visit site
I think that's a little bit low however you may be lucky and snap up a bargain!! My horse cost me £1200(15.1 5 year old coloured mw

Troyseph

Visit site
I think that's a little bit low however you may be lucky and snap up a bargain!! My horse cost me £1200(15.1 5 year old coloured mw) however he is far from novice ride very very strong and never been schooled, however with time and schooling I would expect him to be worth around 3/4k, not that I'd ever sell him for all the money in china ;-)

lexibell

Visit site
I bought a 15.1 mid-heavy cob who did all those things for 1750 inc tack!! he was 11. this was nearly 4 years ago though, when resession was at its worst. He came on LWVB, his owner wanted the right home and knew he would be spoilt for the rest of his years, so was happy to agree to the price. unfortunatly through illness he is not semi retired.

I recently bought a 14.2 version of what you described. hes an angel, and being a heavy weight can happily carry me, but small enough to take my niece and friends children out around the village. He was £2750 inc tack. he also came LWVB and his owner allowed me to pay in installments, perhaps that could be an option.

These horses do exist, but are like finding hens teeth.

good luck in your search

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Your budget is low but not impossible if you are happy to take on somethng older. I suspect the problem you may have is finding something older and up to jumping/XC etc A happy hacker would be easy imo.