Am I being ridiculous?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Goldstar, it has less calories than speedibeet and is quicker to make up.I use it just to mix a powdered supplement in.Also being short of space, is good to only need one feed bin,

Of course it's got less calories than speedibeet it's mainly oat straw and only 10 % speedibeet .
It contains vits and minerals and probiotics but unless you feeding at the recommended amounts the horse will not be RDA of either so you are wasting Money there .
Where as if you mix straw with speedibeet your self your in charge of how much of each yourself and you then the correct amount of minerals .

PollyP99

Visit site
Of course it's got less calories than speedibeet it's mainly oat straw and only 10 % speedibeet .
It contains vits and minerals and probiotics but unless you feeding at the recommended amounts the horse will not be RDA of either so you are wasting Money there .
Where as if you mix straw with speedibeet your self your in charge of how much of each yourself and you then the correct amount of minerals .

You're right of course, for me it's the quickness, I get to yard after a 65 mile drive, I chuck the FF in the feed bowl add water, and vits (you're are also right about the vits as I don't feed anywhere near the recommended amount) get mare in the jobs done, lazy probably but time is key to me of an evening

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

Mine finds it more palatable than speedibeet.
I found it really useful when I needed a low calorie feed to use for supplements (and not feeding anywhere near enough for it to affect mineral amounts), especially when straw chaffs without additives aren't always the easiest to find (and not that encouraging for some fussy ******* to eat) and storage was a bit limited at the time. I do wish they wouldn't still say it was suitable as a total hay replacer though :p.
Oh he prefers it just wet not proper soggy ;). I cannot see how it affects teeth detrimentally at all!

pip6

Visit site
Ours all adore ff. Are yours coming off a molassed feed? If so, anything unmolassed would taste a bit bland initally.

Marmi452

Visit site
I was recommended FF as a token feed for my 25 yr old as she started with lose droppings and went off hay (hay replacer), it has worked wonders for her(cushings pony) .. the lose droppings have stopped and are now perfectly formed and she has a new lease of life.. I also give me rising 5 year old as a token feed as she was a little left out at feed time(softy that I am)..

I can not recommend this feed highly enough I feed with a little handful of Hi Fi Molasses free to give it a texture

joulsey

Visit site
I love FF. Don't tend to add much to it just half a mug of a veteran balancer and her joint supplement. Gets a feed morning and night and she looks fabulous for 25. I prefer making it extra sloppy for her, I don't think some people put enough water in!

I notice though, that as we come out of winter and the grass starts coming through she does go off her feed, so that's when we tend to take her off it.

When we had her companion he got a token feed, which was great as he was lami prone. And now our yearling is on it to mix with his Suregrow.

Mixing feeds was always my favourite job as a kid, and they were all on different things so I could make them all look different and nice and pretty. Ahem, I'm sure the horses really took notice before they scoffed it down

milos

Visit site
If they don't love it get some pepermint flavouring from the baking section at the supermarket add a couple drops to the water you are making up feed with. It should solve the problem well it did for me and was recommended by the feed company

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I love fast fibre, even managed to source it here in Ireland after I moved. My two go mad for it, but then the cob goes mad for any food and the pony is a rescue who has never had any other bucket feed. The reason I love it is it is really fast to do and it really holds the supplements (ForagePlus and MagOx) so they get eaten right up. I have found that some horses like different consistencies, the cob likes it really runny whilst the pony prefers a more crumbly texture.

I had some comments about me being mean not feeding molassed chaffs and mixes etc. when I had my cob at livery, but I just ignored them (had a pretty thick skin by that point since cob is barefoot).

Lucky788

Visit site
My boy has fast fibre and a cup of balancer, he absolutely loves it! He can't have alfaalfa and it was so hard to find a chaff without near me I settled on this. He's very happy licks his bowl clean everytime but I do feel a bit mean looking at all the other nicer looking feeds whilst he has his slop! :)

bexandspooky

Visit site
Both of mine get it, it suits them both well (very elderly Shetland and an Arab). They weren't keen to start with but I chuck a small handful of fibre plus nuggets in and they come running for it ��