Am I being stupid?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
He sounds a very lucky ex racehorse!

How about having a couple of lessons at a riding school then maybe having a good instructor come out and give you a couple of lessons on Bob so they can offer guidance and you can then make addecision if you want to carry on riding him?

mynutmeg

Visit site
Wait.

We have someone here, who is doing the right thing by their ex-racehorse, and they have been criticised for that?

OP, unless the other livery is some incredible rider that wishes to exercise Bob free of charge, then frankly they can go jump in the nearest muck heap! Good on you, enjoy your horse :)

Absolutly - your horse sounds incredibly happy and lucky. He won't be bothered about not being ridden but if you really want to ride (for your own reasons not cause someone else says you should be) then go and have some lessons on riding school horses to get your balance back and get used to it again before thinking about getting on your boy, then have some lessons with him and see how you get on

Angus' yard

Visit site
How lovely to read your post, you and your husband sound like the best mum and dad ever for your boy and I'm sure he knows how lucky he is to have you too. There should be no pressure to do anything with him other than continue to show him the level of love and care you have so far. If you ever feel the urge to ride him then great, but there's no need to change anything unless you really want to.

Queenbee

Visit site
I absolutely do not think it would be stupid for you to start riding him if that is what you want, but it would be stupid for you to start riding him only because you feel forced into it by some ignorant persons judgemental comments, the bottom line is, no horse is 'wasted' they do not sit in the field lamented their wasted potential, I'm certain your horse is quite content as he is. If you desire to start riding again, go for it, but if not, pay no heed to one persons inane comments.

skint1

Visit site
I have an ex racehorse that is basically a pet, she doesn't seem in the least bit sad or troubled by this fact. I guess there are some horses who do thrive on work but I believe first and foremost they thrive on good care and companionship which your boy has bucketloads of!

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
not atall, a bit of exercise is always good for any horse they have intelligent minds, how about looking into natural horsemanship of some horse agility type things to give all three of you some thing to do and increase your bond.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
If I could have a wish for 2014, it would be for every horse to have owners like you and your husband. You sound so thoughtful and caring.

Heck, if you were eventing him at Hickstead, there'd be some plonker saying you were doing it wrong.
Everybody's an expert on other people's horses.

Carry on enjoying your horse and don't give the comment another thought.
But..... you're still far too young not to ride if you really want to. You don't have to take yourself seriously, its all about enjoyment not being a smart arse. A 30 year break is nothing, get your husband to hold a lead rein, climb aboard and have a walk around the school. Laughing is compulsory.