Am i being tested ?

adey3001

Visit site
Hi all
You may have seen my previous threads but i have not got a horse share..
My friend introduced me as she and her very young daughter have shared him all last summer, and he was an angel
However..
I have been looking after him twice a week now for about 6 weeks, he got a ligament damage jyst before i started so havent ridden yet, but he is being a bit bolshy with my on the ground.. hes good turning in out etc but plays me up wen i groom him.. quickly turning his bum on me and constantly moving around and trying to nip, the owner showed me how to get him to stand and he did, and was a good boy for the rest of the time after she had gone.
I went back today after 2 days off and hes playing me up again and i feel apprehensive doing hes back feet.. do u think its because of his ligament (back left) or is he treating me like an idiot! Any tips would be helpful.. he has a haynet while trying to groom
Cheers all

Shay

Visit site
It sounds like he is probably trying it on. You are a bit hesitant with him so he worries and fidgets. The liklihood is it will get better as you get more confident. But are you able to tie him to groom for a while?

Shay

Visit site
If he is tied there is a limit to how annoying he can get and he should be safe. He can't really get his bum to you without being loose. Horses don't stand like rocks. They shift. If you are close in against their body they can't hurt you.

I wonder if your grooming strokes are too light and are annoying him? I see that sometimes with the kids that loan my daughter's outgrown PC competition pony. Also if you dance out of the way every time they move they start looking around to see what it is you are afraid of.

Tie him safely - not short. A couple couple of neck lengths of movement. Always keep one hand, or your whole side, on his body and as he moves - keep with him. Don't move away. Be firm with your strokes. Don't tickle. Find his sweet spot and scratch. He'll turn his head to try to groom you back - that isn't poor beahviour - he appreciates what you are doing. But they have big teeth and we have thin skin to just gently get an elbow or a knee the way if you need to.

Some horses don't tie and need to be loose. But this does just sound like you are having enough hassles dealing with him moving normally. Give him space - let him move. Its what horses do. Be firm. Keep really close if not in physical contact.

adey3001

Visit site
If he is tied there is a limit to how annoying he can get and he should be safe. He can't really get his bum to you without being loose. Horses don't stand like rocks. They shift. If you are close in against their body they can't hurt you.

I wonder if your grooming strokes are too light and are annoying him? I see that sometimes with the kids that loan my daughter's outgrown PC competition pony. Also if you dance out of the way every time they move they start looking around to see what it is you are afraid of.

Tie him safely - not short. A couple couple of neck lengths of movement. Always keep one hand, or your whole side, on his body and as he moves - keep with him. Don't move away. Be firm with your strokes. Don't tickle. Find his sweet spot and scratch. He'll turn his head to try to groom you back - that isn't poor beahviour - he appreciates what you are doing. But they have big teeth and we have thin skin to just gently get an elbow or a knee the way if you need to.

Some horses don't tie and need to be loose. But this does just sound like you are having enough hassles dealing with him moving normally. Give him space - let him move. Its what horses do. Be firm. Keep really close if not in physical contact.
Thanks so much thats really helpful, im with him thurs so will try what u said 😀

Leitrim

Visit site
I don't know whether you are grooming him in his stable but, just in case, try to position yourself so that he can't swing his back end round and pin you against the wall. A pony I was grooming would do that, probably not intentionally, and it hurts and is frightening.
Will he back up and move away from you easily on a voice command or light pressure? Establishing that with him in isolation might be useful for when you are grooming or taking his feed in.

adey3001

Visit site
Hi no its outside, i did him yesterday and followed what shay had said, it did help a massive amount but still a little way to go
Thanks for your help

adey3001

Visit site
Thanks so much thats really helpful, im with him thurs so will try what u said 😀
Hi Shay..
Well i did what you said and it really helped, when he moved i pretty much stayed glued to his side and shoved him back when he pushed into me, he was doing like bunny hops and liftung his back legs up from the hip, i smacked his shoulder.. not hard and said pack it in, and he did as he was told.. picked all four feet out with no probs, jyst wanted to let u know and to thank you.
I did long reining with him on the little roads for the first time today and he wss an angel, i think that helps to establish commands and a bit of respect too. So hopefully will all come together eventually 😀😀