Am I completely bonkers...

Laika

Visit site
For considering the purchase of a shetland pony...?

Please share pictures of yours... to convince me NOT to do it ;)

Carrottom

Visit site
Don't have one myself but very tempted by the 'Beatrix Potter' ones that still need rehoming. (horse and hound news page, if you haven't seen it).

Laika

Visit site
Don't have one myself but very tempted by the 'Beatrix Potter' ones that still need rehoming. (horse and hound news page, if you haven't seen it).

I saw these too! Unfortunately, they seem quite far away from me. The names are fantastic!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Well if your horse needs a companion that lives on fresh air 365 days a year then go for it but they rarely fit in well as companions because they require so little grazing and horses require more so they cant actually be kept together for most of the year! Project is fine .. I mean who wouldnt want a little driving shetland :)

SpringArising

Visit site
If you're going to get a second why not get one you can ride?

Ant makes a good point - Shetlands need such careful management to ensure they're not fat and at risk of lami I'd look to get something that needs similar levels of exercise/grass/turnout as the one you already have.

Visit site
If you're going to get a second why not get one you can ride?

Ant makes a good point - Shetlands need such careful management to ensure they're not fat and at risk of lami I'd look to get something that needs similar levels of exercise/grass/turnout as the one you already have.

And managing them is made doubly difficult by their uncanny ability to apparently teleport themselves under solid fences in order to reach better grazing....

Laika

Visit site
And managing them is made doubly difficult by their uncanny ability to apparently teleport themselves under solid fences in order to reach better grazing....

hahahahaha - point taken.

Nah, it's only a musing! My horse isn't desperate for a companion. They're all out "together" in the field, but in their own seperate areas if that makes sense, so they can see each other but can't groom one another. I don't really think he's entirely fussed though. So perhaps not!

pippixox

Visit site
dont do it!
my friend had a mini for years- was originally for the kids, but he took to rearing for no reason. then he was just a very very irritating pet. lived on a yard with wood chip pens so quite easy to keep. ended up giving him to a friend as a companion- he now spends his life getting through their electric fencing and being a pest!
he would also flip out with high pitched neighing if his mates ever went out, so a bit irritating as a companion.