Am I getting ahead of myself.......Stafford BE80 or not????

TopTotty

Visit site
Maisey is my homebred babe and is 6 1/2...very late foal. She is 15.3 and Upton's Deli Circus is her daddy.

We got her quite fit last year as we aimed her at Kelsall 80 in Sept and we went but withdrew after the Dressage as the new bit I had borrowed had rubbed her a little bit. :( :( :(

However she has been off pretty much since mid November and has just come into work. I am looking at the BE fixtures and trying to decide which ones to aim for (also have to fit in selling my cupcakes too).

So my question is...Is Stafford BE80 too early to realistically aim for?

It is a 2 1/2 hour journey from here. She has been xc schooling and sj so she will be ok in that department (as long as I am ;) )but I just wonder whether I can get her fit enough for it in two months.......

I have the beach near by so can do my canter work there and we are going tomorrow for a play around and a canter to get us started.

Please can you give me your thoughts :)

TIA

Llee94

Visit site
That is plenty of time to get fit for a BE80 so kick on! I have only just started fast work with mine and she has to be ready for the BE novice at Moreton on the 7th March. If you google fitness plans for horses, some of them say that horses can get competition fit in as little as 6 weeks from scratch, although that all depends on the horse and comp. I personally think that if you can get her out cantering once a week (don't worry about speed, its all about building up her stamina) and mix in hacking, hill work and schooling then she should be more than fit enough to compete in a BE80 by March. Good luck! :)

Trules

Visit site
go for it, but just to add Stafford has a big uphill stretch at end of course and the ground at the March event was deep last year. a lot of horses were finishing tired. just get plenty hill work and cantering in before then and you will be fine. good luck!