Am I Giving Up Too Easily?

atropa

Visit site
I have been a horse owner for 1 year and 2 months. I waited 24 years to buy my first horse last September, and she was everything I could ever have dreamed of. Beautiful, cuddly, fun, confidence giving. During the first 8 months that I had her, she gave me fun hacks, lessons, a handful of fantastic shows and trips out, and in return I gave her the very best care I could – thick EVA matting, regular physio, farrier, dentist, new rugs, ad lib hay as haylage gives her an upset stomach, turnout, friends to be a horse with.

In May this year I brought her in from the field and realised she was beginning to colic, the vet was called and she ended up spending a weekend under observation at the vet school. When she came home, I spent two weeks of my annual leave from work caring for her, building her back up slowly onto grass turnout, making the hour round trip to the yard from my house to muck out and make sure she had a steady slow supply of hay.

From the moment she came home, she looked intermittently lame. I agonised over it for weeks, trying a danilon trial, box rest, turnout, spoke to my farrier. People watched me lunge her and told me she was fine, I was imagining things. Eventually she was taken in to my vet’s clinic and spent 3 days having a lameness investigation with xrays and nerve blocks. We thought it was hock arthritis, it turned out she had come down with mild laminitis with no rotation, according to the vet it was down to toxins from bacteria in her gut dying during her colic episode.

For 5 months I visited her morning and night during boxrest, mucking out twice a day, getting up at 5.30am to see to her and not getting back home until 8pm every night. I didn’t mind, it was just what I had to do to get her right. She was shod with heartbar shoes and resin infills. I switched her feed and forage to lami-friendly stuff, even though my vet had told me not to worry about changing her diet. I stopped straightening my hair, putting on makeup and was getting on average 5 hours sleep a night. But it was fine, it was all to make my beautiful mare better.

In September, she had been sound off Danilon for 2 months, 2 vets declared her sound, and I had a broken finger from her excess of energy during boxrest. With vet consent, I started turning her out in a small paddock with very little grass, building it up very slowly. She would jump out and become stressed at first, so I gave her ACP prescribed by the vet until she learned to settle.

In June, I bought myself a second horse so I had something to ride. She was calm, gentle, extremely placid and bombproof. We had about 3 months together before she suddenly changed, she kicked out at my farrier, became spooky and jumpy, and started trying to bite people when they touched around her girth area and between her front legs. She knocked me over as I was clipping her. I had her ovaries scanned by the vet and found nothing. I had the dentist and saddler check her, nothing unusual noted. I have obtained omeprazole to try her on to see if this helps, and had a chiro/physio look at her. They found a healed pectoral tear which could have been contributing to her behaviour. Since that visit I have been performing massage and stretches suggested to me by the physio. I had stopped riding her when the behaviour started as I worried she was in pain and I’d make it worse. But it’s okay, because I had slowly started bringing my first mare back into work with gentle hacking, under vets instruction.

Over the past week, I’ve felt my first mare hasn’t been quite right on occasion. People have looked at her and told me I’m being overreactive. Last night, I brought her in and she looked hopping lame, in the same way that she did when she was first diagnosed with laminitis. I am utterly, utterly devastated and heartbroken. I have kept her in and asked the vet to come out.

I want to give up. Horses are supposed to be my therapy. Over the past 14 months, my mum has battled leukemia, I’ve had an awful relationship breakup, my aunt has suddenly died, my dog has had a tumour and one of my cats has suffered from a mystery neurological problem which caused her to be unable to walk properly. I commute for about 2.5 hours a day, do the vast majority of my horse chores myself, am short staffed at work. I have no holidays left to take as I’ve used them all to look after my mare. The only reason I’m able to get the vet this week is because I have unpaid leave for my aunt’s funeral. I’m skint all the time from £300 shoeing bills, physio, saddler, vets…and I have two beautiful horses that I’m getting no pleasure from. I feel absolutely destroyed. They are the biggest thing in my life but I would pay someone to take them off me right now. Is it supposed to be this hard all the time?

Apologies for the insanely long post, I just have nowhere really left to turn to.

meleeka

Visit site
That's a lot to deal with and you have my sympathy (()).

The colic was a one off, bad luck. The laminitis was a consequence of it. If she has laminitis again, with no explanation then you need to find out why. I think I'd be reining the vet in a bit. 3 days inpatient for lameness investigations seems a tad excessive to me, especially with a diagnoses of laminitis.

I think horses are a bit like cars in the way some seem to always go wrong and some never have any problems. A lot of things don't get noticed too which is why horses left in fields don't seem to get ill. I have friends that haven't seen a vet in over 10 years. It's not that their horse has been fit and healthy all that time, but more that field rest has fixed some problems and others are just lived with.

I think if you can get over this latest problem you'll find that although they are a worry, the pleasure you get is worth it. It sounds like the rest of your life is also stressful which is why this seems so bad at the moment.

Redders

Visit site
I don't have any advice but didn't want to read and run. Hugs. And well done for coping with every ****** curve ball life has thrown at you xx

emmad96

Visit site
Big hugs to you! PM me if you'd like and we can commiserate, I've had my mare since Feb, all was going wonderful after rocky start and then bam, SDFT injury means we are currently waiting out a 6 month turnout. The only thing I can honestly say is to go with your gut. You know your horses best.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You really have been through it bless you:)

unfortunately life has a habit of making everything possible go wrong all at the same time been there just like many others have especially when horses are involved, it is very stressful when they are ill and need special care but it sounds like your second horse is on the mend and wait and see what the vet says about the other one before fearing the worse, if it is lami I would want to know if the horse has an underlying condition causing the attacks, or it could still be that the gut is not functioning healthy speak to your vet about it.

All I can say I know you right in the middle of it all now but it does pass and a few months down the line it will be a distant memory, maybe get some help with the horses for a while until you feel a bit stronger, you can always come on here and pour your heart out we don't mind there are some very supportive kind people on here, please let us know how it goes with the vet and some much needed hugs are being sent your way x

Merlod

Visit site
Have you had recent hoof x-rays of the laminitic? If everything seems normal maybe you could try removing the heart bars? I just say that because my horse went through a bout of pulling shoes, he had a terrible hoof and the farrier put an eggbar one, my horse turned choppy and short strided - he pigeon stepped down hills but he was right as rain once the eggbar was removed :) plus it'd save you a good chunk.

For the second horse have you looked into scoping or any others ulcer treatment?

Sorry you are having a rough time :( You sound like a wonderful and committed owner. Sometimes it just takes time, do you have access to 24/7 turnout you can chuck them out on for the winter with ad-lib hay and see how it goes? My lami prone shetland is currently living out and hasn't needed a muzzle for over 3 weeks. Winter is the best time for him.

Last edited:

atropa

Visit site
Thank you all so much for the lovely replies. I feel like I can't really speak to anyone else anymore as it has been going on for so long that most of my RL friends and family are sympathied-out. Sometimes I feel like I'm just being sorry for myself but I've found this year so hard to deal with.

The colic was a one off, bad luck. The laminitis was a consequence of it. If she has laminitis again, with no explanation then you need to find out why. I think I'd be reining the vet in a bit. 3 days inpatient for lameness investigations seems a tad excessive to me, especially with a diagnoses of laminitis.

I think horses are a bit like cars in the way some seem to always go wrong and some never have any problems. A lot of things don't get noticed too which is why horses left in fields don't seem to get ill. I have friends that haven't seen a vet in over 10 years. It's not that their horse has been fit and healthy all that time, but more that field rest has fixed some problems and others are just lived with.

I have since switched vet as yes, I too found their approach a bit OTT. I'm thinking of asking my new vet for EMS and Cushings tests just in case. And yes, I know logically that probably because I pay such close attention to my two, things seem to go wrong much more often than someone who appears to care less.

Big hugs to you! PM me if you'd like and we can commiserate, I've had my mare since Feb, all was going wonderful after rocky start and then bam, SDFT injury means we are currently waiting out a 6 month turnout. The only thing I can honestly say is to go with your gut. You know your horses best.

Oh dear I'm so sorry, that's even worse luck than mine. Heres hoping for a good recovery.

Have you had recent hoof x-rays of the laminitic? If everything seems normal maybe you could try removing the heart bars? I just say that because my horse went through a bout of pulling shoes, he had a terrible hoof and the farrier put an eggbar one, my horse turned choppy and short strided - he pigeon stepped down hills but he was right as rain once the eggbar was removed :) plus it'd save you a good chunk.

For the second horse have you looked into scoping or any others ulcer treatment?

Sorry you are having a rough time :( You sound like a wonderful and committed owner. Sometimes it just takes time, do you have access to 24/7 turnout you can chuck them out on for the winter with ad-lib hay and see how it goes? My lami prone shetland is currently living out and hasn't needed a muzzle for over 3 weeks. Winter is the best time for him.

I haven't had recent hoof xrays as the original ones showed no rotation or indeed any real problem. I was actually due to start 'weaning' her back onto normal shoes from December until this happened. I think I may need to have her feet x-rayed again just to check.
For horse number two, unfortunately scoping atm is not really an option until next year as I simply can't take the time off work to get her in myself. I have 3 weeks worth of omeprazole to try her on, so at least I should know if that has an effect and I can decide to either continue with the treatment or take her for scoping.

I thought with it being winter she'd be okay, especially as I'm so careful with checking for pulses etc. I don't know if there has been possible concussion, or I've been really naïve and suddenly sugar in the grass has shot up or something?

Regandal

Visit site
Good lord, you have been through it.
My big wb, always had 'random' palpable pulses for no discernible reason has been pulse-free for weeks now. Unheard of for him. I've been giving him ceylonese cinnamon. I believe it is also soothing on the gut. Good luck with them. X

9tails

Visit site
Sorry if I belittle your efforts but getting up at 5.30am and not getting home until 8pm are part and parcel of having horses and a job. As is having no money! It's a well known fact that horses eat it.

The ground has gone hard, there are morning frosts. This can make the sugars rocket and many with laminitis prone horses don't put out until later in the day.

I've had the three month honeymoon, it's possible your second horse is testing her boundaries. Be calm, patient and consistent, she will probably come round.

atropa

Visit site
Good lord, you have been through it.
My big wb, always had 'random' palpable pulses for no discernible reason has been pulse-free for weeks now. Unheard of for him. I've been giving him ceylonese cinnamon. I believe it is also soothing on the gut. Good luck with them. X

Thank you, I haven't heard of that so I will look into it.

Sorry if I belittle your efforts but getting up at 5.30am and not getting home until 8pm are part and parcel of having horses and a job. As is having no money! It's a well known fact that horses eat it.

The ground has gone hard, there are morning frosts. This can make the sugars rocket and many with laminitis prone horses don't put out until later in the day.

I've had the three month honeymoon, it's possible your second horse is testing her boundaries. Be calm, patient and consistent, she will probably come round.

Haha, agreed, but it's hard to keep going on top of constantly feeling crap about all the other stuff when you're getting nothing but misery back from it. Arguably yes, another part of horse ownership. I actually love the routine of early starts and late finishes, what I don't love is horses not being healthy.

Re the frost, I had considered that this and the hard ground might have had something to do with it, but had consulted people more experience than me who said there was nothing to really worry about - in retrospect this may have been a bad mistake on my part but I can only try my best and learn from these. In future I will definitely take this into consideration and not turn her out during these times, probably at all, thank you.

Yes, I think part of the problem with the younger horse is testing her boundaries, but with additional issues. She will come right I believe.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time.
You sound such a kind person and it is so sad that you are having these problems with your horses.
My advice would be to send your Laminitic horse to a centre of excellence for a thorough investigation to determine what is causing the problem.
I use Rossdales in Newmarket as I have found them to be excellent.

PorkChop

Visit site
My goodness, they are really testing your love for them, completely sympathise.

Its so hard when they are sensitive to the sugar in grass, mine would never go out in the winter if I waited for the frost to go.

First of all I would take off the heartbars, you have either seen the benefit of them already or they are not working.

Hope things take a turn for the better, but if you do decide that you have had enough you shouldn't feel guilty, you have shown your commitment to them x

Merlod

Visit site
Thank you, I haven't heard of that so I will look into it.
Re the frost, I had considered that this and the hard ground might have had something to do with it, but had consulted people more experience than me who said there was nothing to really worry about - in retrospect this may have been a bad mistake on my part but I can only try my best and learn from these. In future I will definitely take this into consideration and not turn her out during these times, probably at all, thank you.

My shetland really suffers in the summer, this year he was either stabled or muzzled. Strangely, the frost doesnt affect him at all! I have the laminitis app which takes a bit of the guesswork out.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Just sending you a big, big hug.... Life at times just seems to be piling things on top on one another and sometimes it just overwhelms us and when the horses add to life's stresses it is not fun at all. You are running on empty and that's when things that normally wouldn't bother us are the last straw.

Have you got a horsey friend that could even give you a little help to ease your burdens even if only for a weekend so you can try and take a little time to recharge your batteries somehow.

atropa

Visit site
My goodness, they are really testing your love for them, completely sympathise.

Its so hard when they are sensitive to the sugar in grass, mine would never go out in the winter if I waited for the frost to go.

First of all I would take off the heartbars, you have either seen the benefit of them already or they are not working.

Hope things take a turn for the better, but if you do decide that you have had enough you shouldn't feel guilty, you have shown your commitment to them x
Thank you, the heartbars seemed to work to get and keep her sound right until last week. My farrier said it was a lot of shoeing for a horse who was only mildly laminitic, but we were going by my vets order. I'm thinking now that I might just be better taking her shoes off altogether now

My shetland really suffers in the summer, this year he was either stabled or muzzled. Strangely, the frost doesnt affect him at all! I have the laminitis app which takes a bit of the guesswork out.
I have just downloaded that app, thank you!

atropa

Visit site
I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time.
You sound such a kind person and it is so sad that you are having these problems with your horses.
My advice would be to send your Laminitic horse to a centre of excellence for a thorough investigation to determine what is causing the problem.
I use Rossdales in Newmarket as I have found them to be excellent.

Thank you, I'm in Central Scotland so not sure where the nearest place would be for me, I can have a look online.

Alarm bells rang for me when you said your vet said not to bother changing feed for lami. Basic stuff...

Well yes, I thought that at the time too, hence me disregarding the advice and changing her feed anyway. It's not great when you pay a professional to help you with your pride and joy and don't feel confident in their services. I have since switched vet anyway.

Just sending you a big, big hug.... Life at times just seems to be piling things on top on one another and sometimes it just overwhelms us and when the horses add to life's stresses it is not fun at all. You are running on empty and that's when things that normally wouldn't bother us are the last straw.

Have you got a horsey friend that could even give you a little help to ease your burdens even if only for a weekend so you can try and take a little time to recharge your batteries somehow.

Thank you. I know everyone has stuff to deal with but I just feel like it has been really non stop for a long time now. I'm thinking of putting them on full livery for a few weeks for a break.

be positive

Visit site
Thank you, the heartbars seemed to work to get and keep her sound right until last week. My farrier said it was a lot of shoeing for a horse who was only mildly laminitic, but we were going by my vets order. I'm thinking now that I might just be better taking her shoes off altogether now

I have just downloaded that app, thank you!

The great thing about having a laminitic with no shoes, apart from the obvious benefits of the foot improving generally, is that they are the best early warning sign of anything changing, having shoes on can mean you miss the very first signs, it sounds as if your farrier is questioning them being on so he may well be on board with them coming off sooner than later.

atropa

Visit site
The great thing about having a laminitic with no shoes, apart from the obvious benefits of the foot improving generally, is that they are the best early warning sign of anything changing, having shoes on can mean you miss the very first signs, it sounds as if your farrier is questioning them being on so he may well be on board with them coming off sooner than later.

Yes, I have to say my farrier has been fantastic through the whole thing, his work has been praised by both vets, he has been an ear to moan at and has always said previously that her feet have been good (she was only shod in front previously) so I'm sure he would be supportive of me asking to have them off.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I think you have got in a rut and need to take a step back.

Firstly getting up early, getting home late getting 5 hours sleep?
All normal!
Being skint?
Ask any horse owner!

Maybe getting a second horses was wrong, having had to give so much time to your recovering mare, you have stretched yourself.

I'd turn both horses away for a while, take off the shoes!
I'm not going to nag about barefoot but give it a try.
The body will get a chance to heal itself.

Have a rest over Christmas and decide what you want and what you can achieve with either horse.

jgmbng

Visit site
I can sympathise with you as I have a similar situation.
Pony no 1 bought 7 years ago..shortly after was diagnosed with bone spavin and annular ligament desmitis. Also suffers from sweet itch, copd and numerous other ailments. Tried to keep him light hacking sound for a few years but nothing really worked. Pony no 2 bought 18 months ago...still trying to find out why he suffers from daily colics, looking like it is pasture related.
Bought own property with land so huge mortgage,2 ponies with different needs, older one needs to be out and moving, young one needs to be off pasture !
The younger one was supposed to be one to sell on when older one was no longer around but that seems unlikely if I can't get him right.
I feel trapped at the moment and even though I love them both dearly I get very little pleasure as its all so stressful.
I do hope your situation gets better.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Thank you, I'm in Central Scotland so not sure where the nearest place would be for me, I can have a look online.

Thank you. I know everyone has stuff to deal with but I just feel like it has been really non stop for a long time now. I'm thinking of putting them on full livery for a few weeks for a break.

Okay you could be near me (or not) as I am about 20 mins south of Edinburgh bypass. I use equine practice at Clyde Vet in Lanark and can highly recommend them. http://www.clydevetgroup.co.uk/equine/equine.htm

PM me if you like if you want to know more about them or if I can help in any other way.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sometimes life with horses is just like this .
Sometimes it appears the more careful you are the more trouble you get .

abcd1

Visit site
I was tired permanently skint no leave with my horses living in . Moved them had them live out all year and the difference to my mental and physical health as well as social live was night and day. Pm if you want more info x

jojo5

Visit site
Sometimes life with horses is just like this .
Sometimes it appears the more careful you are the more trouble you get .

^^^this.... my old boy never ailed a day when younger but since a couple of health scares I find I am examining his every move and panicking instantly. Not to belittle your care, but just to agree with the earlier poster too who said that field horses sometimes cope with little blips that would faze the owners of stabled ones.