Am I invisible? Some help needed please

Montyforever

Visit site
Barneys always been better with my mum than me and even though i get annoyed with it ( he was supposed to be my dog - mum didn't even want a dog!) I had accepted that. She now takes him for most of his walks because he refuses to listen to me off the lead but listens to her fine but i try to make an effort to take him for an extra walk when I have time on the lead.
I tried training him to build a relationship with him and that's fine if there's treats involved but if there's not he just doesn't want to do it.
He has seperation anxiety so can't be left home alone but apparently being left home alone with me is just as bad as he's whineing and yelping and scratching the door since my mum left (he's fine being left with my nan) I tried to take him for a walk this morning but he just dug in his heels and refused to move the second he realised mum wasn't coming and i dislocated my shoulder last week so can't really fight with him at the mo.
I just feel like everything I do with him is like dragging him along because he doesn't want to be there but if my mum takes him it's the best bit of his day.

We've had him two years now ive tried being stricter, softer, training him and nothing works I just want a dog who wants to be around me but I really don't think I'm gonna get that with him :(

Any ideas before I throw in the towel because at the mo he would rather walk off with a stranger than stay with me! Or should I just accept he's mums dog end of?

Kaylum

Visit site
What breed/type of dog is he? For example my Scottie is faithfully to one person. She wont go for walks with anyone else but me and its very much a breed thing - i.e. scotties are loyal to one person.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Look at your mum and her behaviour and demeanor and work out why she might be a more attractive person to him.

Again, I am repeating myself today, but you sound stressed like a few other posters. Dogs don't like stress and only the very strongest types can cope with it.
They feel it acutely and in different way to we humans do. If your stressed, even if you are stressed about HIM, he is likely to feel is as pressure and it is likely he won't want to be around you.

Take all the pressure off, PLAY with him, don't just feed him treats, if you feel stressy or worried, just walk away.

Star_Chaser

Visit site
agree with above... boring voice boring activities dog will go with someone else, raise the pitch of your voice slightly not panic but fun :D Grey hound you could take him running get the wind beneath his feet... http://www.cani-cross.co.uk/ have some good leads you can use if hes not one for off lead.

Montyforever

Visit site
My mums behaviour is half the issue I think he gets away with everything, she gives him leftovers, let's him up on the sofa, moans about the bad behaviour but never does anything about it he has her well and truly under his paw :rolleyes: it drives me mad because any training is a wasted effort usually. I am very stressed at the mo but I try and relax for a whole before I do anything with him and keep calm but when he carries on and on doing things after the 10th time I've corrected him I do loose it a bit. I know it's not his fault as my mum let's him get away with everything so why should he listen to me if he can just run to my mum and get whatever he wants by demanding it.
Have tried playing with him but he doesn't really do balls/tug things and only chases the cats! It's very frustrating he's very much a ill do it whenever I feel like doing it because he knows he can demand things from my mum. I really feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall sometimes.

Cani-cross looks interesting but I'm unable to run at the mo due to my health problems, plus if I can't get him to walk round a field without mum there I can't see me getting him out very far at the mo! But it's something to aim towards although saying that he scraped himself on a wall today and the noise he made sounded like he was being murdered! Might be a bit much for the delicate little **** :rolleyes:

moscow_mule

doggy paddling through the custard of life
Visit site
Hi,if he doesn't play with balls or tug toys but likes to chase,how about a lunge whip with a fake animal tail on the end?Think almost like playing with a cat to encourage chase and jump.I have seen this used in GSD showing to get the dogs exited/focused pre going into the ring :) hope this helps.