Am I kidding myself...

ellerslie83

Visit site
My horse was bought to live out 24/7 but six months later I just don't think it's right for him.
He had suspected mild lami after I got him so that was dealt with and after he had a little bute and boxrest and some boots, and got a great trimmer, he' s doing really well. He's now barefoot and slowly growing new hoof through which is great.
Trouble is, managing him with our set up, any other horse I would just restrict his grazing and put him in a fenced off area- only he loves to jump and jumps over electric fencing and even a second line of 5ft electric fencing on the outside of that one even back when he had sore feet!...so I've had to put a grazing muzzle on him which he hates so much, just been trying to put it back on him so I can move him to another field as his one is so boggy and I can't he freaks out.
I feel I've come to realise that he'd be better off as a stabled horse with restricted turn out...but who would want to buy him as he is? It's a shame as he's a nice affectionate boy and is good for hacking and jumping and he's done hunting etc... just needs to finish growing his new hoof.
Do people agree or am I just being overly negative?

tessybear

Visit site
He sounds like a lovely horse, however from my experience people don't want to buy something that could cost them lots and cannot be ridden for a while so may be harder to find him a new owner.

Peronsally i would move yard etc, to somewhere if you can afford to keep him in at night :)

ellerslie83

Visit site
Thanks he is a lovely boy, but I keep him at home and he was bought as an outdoor companion to our other slightly lame cob that also lives out 24/7 as something I could ride - weird how things turn out!

If OH has his way we'll be moving to middle of nowhere with fields for the horses to live out in again, maybe I could push for a house near a good livery...but we wouldnt be able to afford it for both which would leave cob number one alone again unless we pay to put him in livery too....hmm lots of thinking to do....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What about getting a field shelter that you could pen the laminitic into while the cob wanders around outside? That way the cob can be as near or as far away from his companion as he wants to be.