Am i likely to be able to find a loan home for this horse...??

Inchy

Visit site
One of my liveries has had drastic changes to their personal circumstances and they can not longer (due to finances and time commitments) keep their horse, they have tried so hard, taken on extra jobs etc, and we've dropped livery costs...but it's just not possible for them to keep her.

They're being sensible about it and we have dicussed what options are open to them for her and all we can come up with is going out on loan/share or PTS.

The horse is a 15hh ID x mare, approx 19yrs old. She's been the perfect first horse/happy hacker to a mum and daughter for almost 7 years now. She's a dream to handle in EVERY way by anyone. A saint to ride even for a complete beginner. Jumps any fillers, goes reasonably nicely on the flat. Hacks perfectly.....

However...she has had breathing problems which require her to live out all year round and she has to take an inhaler daily. This also limits what work she can do, she wouldn't be able to hunt or team chase or anything very strenuous. She also doesn't have great feet and requires shoeing every 6 weeks (she doesn't manage well bare foot).

Due to having to be shod and needing an inhaler (and the fact she isn't a shetland!) we havent been able to find her a home as a companion.

But with her age, breathing and shoeing requirements am i likely to be able to find a loan home for her? will people take on these kind of problems?

Obviously the owners would continue to pay for her inhalers and any subsequent treatment for her breathing condition.

I just would like peoples opinions on whether its worth trying to find a loan home for her?

Thanks!

Last edited:

noodle_

Visit site
wouldnt put me off totally..... but theres a lot of horses out there so people (inc me) can be picky

sensible owner though.... good luck to her and the horse :)

be positive

Visit site
Just wanted to say its good that you are being so helpful to the owners, unlike some of the posts about livery yards on here.
I would think it should be possible to rehome her, I know someone but they are not able to have one until next spring.A sharer with her staying on your yard would be the first option to look at.

OWLIE185

Visit site
If the horse is good in traffic and will hack alone then I am sure you would be able to find a nice permanent loan home for her wher the horse will be gently hacked out.
However before loaning out the horse please ensure that it is freezemarked on it's shoulder. Also ask to see the original copy of the passport, driving licence and utility bill of the person loaning the horse to ensure they are who they say they are and photocopy them. Also tag the horses records on www.ned-online.org.uk as being on loan. Also check the new home thoroughly. Also check the loaner using risk disc to ensure they have no unfortunate record.
Unfortunately many horses dissapear while being on loan so be careful.
Best of luck.

Sadiemay

Visit site
Ahhh she sounds a total sweetheart.

I just lost my beloved mare of of 20 years 3 months ago and am now starting to begin to think about the possibility of sharing my life with a new equine friend at some point in the near future.

My mare was retired for the last 15 years so my riding is very rusty so if and when I start looking for a new buddy something like this girl would be perfect, as all I am interested in is having a sedate hack/ mooch round the grounds of my livery yard every once in a while if the mood takes me. But most of all of lots of fusses and cuddles with a horse....thats what I miss soooo much :(

The fact she health issues and need for regular shoeing wouldnt put me off at all as she sounds like a nice old girl with a kind heart who deserves a nice semi retirement.

Alas I am based in Surrey but I am sure you will find the right person for her f you are patient and vet those interested carefully.

Good luck!

Sadiemay
x

Inchy

Visit site
Be positive - I know I'm strange in that I really like my liveries, I go so far above and beyond my role that I really don't make it worth my while financially! But its worth it as I have people to ride out with!

Thanks for all your responses, I'm going to get a loan advert written up and see what happens. She's such a super girly, I really hope I can get her a good home!

Owlie - thanks for that if we have any response to the advert I'll definatly get her owners doing some back ground checks!!

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
I advertised our 15.2hh, 19 year old mare, lives out 24/7 (puffy legs in a stable), can't go without shoes, doesn't jump, in good condition though.
I have been overwhelmed by emails/calls! I think youll find a nice quiet home very easily!
Mines also a TB, chestnut, mare...ex racehorse/polo... surprising eh? but shes a dream to own :)
Good luck, i think youll be surprised!
Also just to add, my requirements were that they were within an hour or so of us, still found a home :D

Last edited:

EllenJay

Visit site
Have you thought about contacting the RDA? If she is so well behaved it may be an option.

Hope the owners get this sorted - they sound very caring. xx

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Personally I don't think you should have ANY problems finding her a loan home; I recently advertised mine on several ones and have been inundated!

She sounds an absolute darling, just the thing for someone to gain confidence on and have a bit of gentle hacking or whatever; and don't think the veterinary issues will be a problem if owner is willing to pay.

She'll be snapped up I reckon, but (sorry to nag/teach grannie to egg-suck etc) DO make sure owners do a thorough check of loan home and keep going back on a regular basis to make sure she's OK, plus do a loan agreement etc etc.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Best thing to do in advert, make sure she stays with you, so you can keep an eye on her. But yes if she the real deal etc:- you should have people biting your hand off.

Inchy

Visit site
Can the RDA cater for horses that can't be stabled? Its worth a thought, as she's such a doddle, I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks again for advise on checking up on loanees! Its not nagging! I've sold plenty of horses but never loaned before - clearly its a whole new ball game!

Achinghips

Visit site
I advertised our 15.2hh, 19 year old mare, lives out 24/7 (puffy legs in a stable), can't go without shoes, doesn't jump, in good condition though.
I have been overwhelmed by emails/calls! I think youll find a nice quiet home very easily!
Mines also a TB, chestnut, mare...ex racehorse/polo... surprising eh? but shes a dream to own :)
Good luck, i think youll be surprised!
Also just to add, my requirements were that they were within an hour or so of us, still found a home :D

Where did you advertise please? I'm looking for a loan home for my Tb:)