Am I looking for the impossible?

Dizzleton

Visit site
My friend recently lost her horse and she's asked me to help her look for a new one. She's after the following:

16.1 - 17.2hh mare or gelding
Any colour apart from grey or coloureds
4 - 13 years old
Should be a genuine allrounder with no vices or bad habits, also has to be nice on the ground.
Wanted for low level SJ / XC / DR with views to progress.
Should be schooled but willing to bring on.
No TB's - She's quite keen on Warmbloods

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Doormouse

Visit site
Provided you have a decent budget, I would think it will be fairly easy. I wouldn't fuss too much about the colour, once she tries the right horse for her she probably won't mind if it is pink with blue spots!

Tallulabelle

Visit site
After what felt like an eternity of searching I found the right horse, I looked at quite a few before I found the one. I would say keep looking, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions to the person selling the horse, if they are genuine they won't mind answering them. Also don't feel you need to settle for something that you are not 100% sure about, it is worth it in the long run, there are plenty of horses out their for sale.

Good luck for you and your friend with the search

soulfull

Visit site
That was EXACTLY my shopping list for 2 horses 2 years apart
First time I only had a £3k budget and ended up with a lovely but never competed 6 yr old WB. He was lovely and did everything asked of him. He did have his moments of being handful though. Unfortunately I lost him to defenerative psd

I tried over 50 horses but all those that had done some competing I did not feel safe on or were lame

Second time I had an £8.5k budget. But still ended up feeling
Much safer on a green 16h WB. Even with that budget several were lame, had awful conformation or were strong/fizzy.
I honestly could not believe how difficult it was

9tails

Visit site
It's a very popular set of criteria. I had the same criteria but bought the first horse I saw because she felt right, she wasn't advertised as the above but she has turned into exactly that. If she's willing to do some work, a green but essentially kind horse can turn its hoof to everything she wants.

RFido

Visit site
Certainly not!
There are many of us that have been in this situation and it took me a year and a half to find my perfect boy...
We were looking for something quite select, as I wanted something Welsh, but over 16hh that wasn't too young, but still needed some work, with the idea that I could form a bond with him through working him.
I didn't really have a 'budget' as such, but Ive never been one for really fancy pampered horses, so something that lived out all year and spent half it's time looking scruffy was fine for me.
I went to look at so many i lost count, fell off numerous ones, and ended up facing a few dodgey dealers BUT it all paid off and I finally found what I was looking for about 15 miles away from home (after travelling over 120 in some cases just to have a look!). He was also a really good price!
Good luck with the search, you'll get there in the end. Just make sure you don't rush into something that you are not entirely happy with... Sometimes it just takes time!

Dizzleton

Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

She has a budget of around £4.5k. We have found a few horses that match what she wants, but upon calling the owner you find out that it's not so right for her.. from a very dishy horse to one and I quote 'mild stringhalt that will get better soon'

So stressful!

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Hmmmm Mine is a bit small (15.3), but I am asking £6000 for her. Are you looking for something with competition experience? If so then the budget might be a bit small. She wants what a lot of others are looking for.