Am I mad to buy a youngster as a first horse?

Abi90

Visit site
Now, I've got your attention, yes this is my first horse but I have been riding for 21 years and worked on a stud many years helping to break in and ride young horses so there is a bit of experience under my belt I have just never had the opportunity to own my own until now.

I was originally looking for a 7-10 yr old that had all the work done but still had room to learn but with a sale having already fallen through on an older horse due to I failed vetting I now find myself thinking younger horses for the bill more with regards to what I am after. Having looked at a 4 and 5 year old who are still very green but with some solid schooling and hacking under their belt and popping small courses of jumps. And I quite like the idea of producing something myself to my style of riding.

I feel confident in my own ability to ride and school him etc from past experience and have support however I just have a shadow of doubt looming over me that I would be judged as it would be my first horse and the first horse I produced myself and I know everything you read says "don't buy a young horse as your first horse" but a lot of that material is aimed at those who haven't been riding very long etc.

So am I mad? Honest opinions are most welcome!

LCH611

Visit site
Not mad at all! I have a baby ISH (currently languishing in my stable as I am off games, he has no jockey and therefore really needs to be sold) that has a temperament to die for - husband has been doing ride and lead off a quad bike with him and he happily went through the middle of a major clay shoot the other day, is generally completely unphased by stuff, moves well, jumps well and is really pleased to be working/keen to learn. I would go for attitude and temperament over age any day of the week!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Who cares what other people think? You sound like you've got plenty of experience (probably more than most people on their 2nd or 3rd horse!) so I don't think its mad. Just get one with a really nice, willing temperament and have fun :)

Abi90

Visit site
Thanks. It's nice to know I'm not being completely daft in what I am looking for.

My other concern would be that the owner would be reluctant to sell a baby to someone as their first horse? But I suppose that too comes down to the experience of the person whose first horse it is too.

R_Owen

Visit site
Your experience is more important than never owning a horse before. I've met many people that have owned and ridden horses most of their life. However they have never had a riding lessons and can't really tell the front end from the back end of the horse.

I would rather sell a young horse to someone with experience like yours then sell to some just because they have owned horses before. Good luck in your search.

EmmaC78

Visit site
Sometimes I think age doesn't really matter. I have known some very calm and sensible 5yo's and some nutty 15year olds. Provided you and the horse are a good match then I don't see age as a deciding factor for someone who is an experienced enough rider.

Hawks27

Visit site
No madder than me with a medical condition went looking for a nice semi-retired ex eventer to use as a fun forward happy hacker came home with a rescued wild unhandled 2yr old the first time and after her growing into a talented dressage horse I found her a lovely home and once again went looking for a nice older sort and came home with an unbacked recently gelded 6yr old paint horse, who is slowly turning into my lesiruely hack if he would just stay healthy long enough to get him fit to ride for more than 20minute! As long as you either have the skill or can pay a trainer to school the horse to the level you require then it doesn't matter what you buy for your first horse as long as you love it :)
P.S I also wanted a nice bay or black the first was grey the 2nd white with ginger bits, as with men can't help who you fall in love with, damn pesky cute horsies!

Abi90

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am always open and honest with owners of horses and tell them my experience but that it would be my first horse so I would hope that would alleviate any potential concerns :)

Obviously there is much I don't know from an ownership perspective purely from never having owned one, hence why it's going to be kept on a livery yard where there are plenty of people to help!

Irish gal

Visit site
When people say you shouldn't get a novice first horse they are usually referring to novice riders: you hardly qualify as such. Many dealers would take your hand off - they would take the money that quick - and wouldn't care if it was your first or 21st horse!

Abi90

Visit site
I am in an odd situation, been riding for all but the first 4 years of my life yet have never owned one and so the advice available in online material does not necessarily reflect my different situation!

ArabianGem78

Visit site
I was in a very similar position to you - had been riding, loaning and worked on an arab stud for 10+ years before I was in a position to buy my first. I bought a 7 year old but very green PBA chestnut mare..... And she has been phenomenal. She took me to FEI level endurance, had a go at everything and whilst being a bit naughty at times, she is fundamentally a great little horse. She's now on permanent loan to my 60 year old mother following the death of her beloved arab gelding and giving her so much pleasure. It's not the age of the horse that's important, it's their and your personality and how you gel.

Tobiano

Visit site
crumbs Abi90 I dont think that advice was aimed at someone with your experience! Sounds like an ideal solution for you. The only thing I would wonder about is, if you really want a totally unspoilt blank canvas you would be looking at an unbacked youngster .... it worries me the techniques sometimes used to back youngsters and how much they are asked to do at a v young age. But again seems like with your experience you could judge whether you think this has happened or not.

Keep us updated - be great to see how you get on!

Jazmyn101

Visit site
Nope you're not mad, my first horse was 3 years old and I was just 16! I have had for nearly 3 years now😊 worked out great.

Abi90

Visit site
So have found my perfect pony, subject to him passing his vetting.

A 5 year old Irish Sports Horse. Very green but sane and sensible and going to be having regular lessons with him to make sure we stay on track.

I would never have afforded him as a finished product and he is lovely. So fingers crossed he passes!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
No. At the tender age of 15 I got a 4yo part TB gelding. It wasn't my intention to buy a young horse at all, I'd had a elderly pony on loan and helped my friend bring on her youngster. I'd been looking for something between 6-10 for RC activities. I'd viewed a lot of horses, had 3 vetted - all failed and saw an advert on CHL. (computer horse link for those going what?!)

The minute I walked into the stable I knew he was the horse for me. I had regular lessons and we learnt lots together. He was a true friend and we had great fun too.

Glad you have found a prospective new partner! Fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:

Abi90

Visit site
I'm not going to tempt fate by posting photos until he's arrived properly and passed the vetting. But I will post some once I know he's mine for sure :)

Crazydancer

Visit site
Looking forward to photos. :) I bought a yearling when I'd only had one previous horse for just over a year and was definitely a novice. He recently turned 23 and has been an absolute star. He's a PBA and I was a friend of his sires owner, she was well aware of my lack of experience, but I had plenty of help along the way. Good luck with yours!