Am I mad?

Annagain

Visit site
My horse hasn't jumped for 8 years. He was intermittently lame for about 6 months and test / x-rays revealed that although there were no changes in the bone structure, the conformation of the bones in his feet (not really visible on the outside) were such that he can't deal with concussion and would probably develop navicular if he continued.

The vet said I could jump him and probably at the level we were jumping (approx. 3ft) but it would "shorten his career". He was never an easy horse to jump (probably because it hurt, bless him) and I couldn't bring myself to ask him to do it, knowing it could be causing him pain. Since then, we've popped the odd log out hacking and done quite a lot of fun rides where we've jumped maybe 5 or 6 of the smaller fences. I'm careful where I canter him and avoid trotting too much on the roads. He hasn't had a day's lameness since he's been back in work.

He's 20 now and riddled with melanomas. When he first developed them about 7 years ago my vet told me anything past 20 would be a bonus. I'm pretty sure they will get him before any foot issues do. We did a fun ride a few weeks ago and the ground was perfect so we jumped a bit more than we normally do although the biggest fence we did must have been about 2'3". He loved it! Took me to every fence with his ears pricked and didn't do any of his usual getting in too close and cat leaping. I'm really tempted to give jumping another go with him - very small (2ft max) very infrequently, just for fun and only on a surface or perfect ground but my sensible head says we've got a regime now that suits both of us (I have a share horse to compete on and a sharer who hacks my boy out) so I shouldn't risk it and potentially cause him pain just for my enjoyment.

Am I mad to even consider it?

9tails

Visit site
It doesn't sound like you're going to rag him round Badminton or Hickstead. Horses can go lame for numerous reasons in the field so I doubt your little foray into 2ft jumping is going to cripple him.

ozpoz

Visit site
A good regime is not an inflexible one. If he is happy and willing to do a little jumping on ground which suits him, then why not? : )

smja

Visit site
Old pony decided several years ago that he would only jump on his terms. Since then, we occasionally offer him the opportunity - if he wants to, then great; if he doesn't, we go around.

Sounds like if your guy wants to, then why not?

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks guys. You've convinced me to try the odd little local clear round, maybe even a lesson or two. :)