Am I mad?

Abi90

Visit site
Boots is now nearly 7 months old and an absolute joy, so it's got us thinking, should we get another one in 18 months to 2 years time?

I never understood why people would want more than one dog but now I find that I do. We have the space and time so it's not an issue. I just never imagined I would want two!

We were thinking a Golden Retriever this time.

Am I mad? Is this normal? Haha.

Thistle

Visit site
I have 4 dogs

Black Lab, girl, 11 1/2

Staffie, girl, 9

Springer, boy, 2

Fox red Lab, 8 months boy

18 months/2 years is a very workable age gap, you should have all the basics well in place by then. Dogs are happiest with company both canine and human.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Not mad at all and sounds like a sensible age gap.

I'm planning dogs #3 and #4, with mum's dog that will sometimes mean five dogs. I'm going to have to get a van. :D

Moobli

Visit site
Not mad :) I do personally really enjoy the one to one relationship you have with a single dog - but I haven't had a single dog for over 12 years! I currently have three, with a new addition due at the end of the year.

The best advice is to ensure your current dog is going to set a good example to any pup you bring in and then it will be a doddle.

{97702}

Visit site
Of course not, it is perfectly normal :) :) I have had 4 dogs for about five years now, and for me it is the perfect number... as all are rescues there isn't a brilliant age balance, I have one aged 13 1/2, two aged 10 and one aged about 9 years old, but they are very individual and I love them all equally for their different personalities :)

Abi90

Visit site
Excellent :)

I'm looking at breeders now, window shopping as it were. Can anyone recommend any Golden Retriever breeders?

I love my ESS but I don't want two!

Karran

Visit site
I'm definitely taken with the idea of another WCS for flyball. I don't know if I could on my own cope with two however. Also Mrs Spaniel is a spoiled brat of a dog and I don't know if she'd take kindly to sharing my attention!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Not sure who Boots is, as in what breed, but unlikely to have hit adolescence yet at 7 months, regardless. Make sure that your first dog is both physically and MENTALLY mature before acquiring a newbie. Makes life a lot easier.

Abi90

Visit site
Not sure who Boots is, as in what breed, but unlikely to have hit adolescence yet at 7 months, regardless. Make sure that your first dog is both physically and MENTALLY mature before acquiring a newbie. Makes life a lot easier.

Oh he'll be at least 2 before newbie is acquired!

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
i found it much easier having two than one. They play and keep each other company. Would you think about getting a retriever from a retriever rescue, we got our lad from one and he is an absolute pet. Delighted i didn't pay a breeder when there was such a sweetheart needing a home.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I'm planning on another goldie in the next two years, she is definitely the easiest pup I've ever had. Fallowfen have some beautiful dogs and will be able to point you in the right direction for their litters, but they are working rather than show and a gorgeous dark red colour.

satinbaze

Visit site
Why don't you go to crufts or discover dogs and chat to the folks on the goldie stand. They will usually know reputable breeders who are planning litters

Amye

Visit site
Definitely not mad :)

I think having two is brill. They keep each other company when you're out and they entertain themselves. I agree that you should make sure your current dog isn't going to pass on any bad habits to a newbie before you get them though.

We had a brief period of 3 dogs, then the two oldies died and our whippet girl was by herself. She seemed perfectly happy and she was not depressed or anything but when we got our pup it completely gave her a new lease of life and she loves him to pieces. Best thing we ever did for her was get another whippet :)

druid

Visit site
Not mad, I usually try to space them 2-3 years apart but due to losing a young dog have an 18 month old, 2.5 year old and 7 year old now (lost the 5yr old last autumn and got the youngest dog earier than would have been ideal).

Abi90

Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly have a look at Fallowfen and Moonwater.

I like to get in touch with people early as good breeders will always have long waiting lists!

Abi90

Visit site
there's Moloko as well (am sure a poster on here had a Moloko goldie)-she's in D&G and was the one who put me int touch with the breeder of mine.

Thank you :) I will have a look. Obviously it's still a while off but it's good to know where to look in the coming months

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Don't forget to check out breed rescues if you don't necessarily want a pup. I think the two breeds are very commonly found together.

Great idea to have another, we get two at a time, works for us, the boys are more bonded to us than to each other, but are great company for each other.

Abi90

Visit site
Don't forget to check out breed rescues if you don't necessarily want a pup. I think the two breeds are very commonly found together.

Great idea to have another, we get two at a time, works for us, the boys are more bonded to us than to each other, but are great company for each other.

I will do. I've been repeatedly told since mentioning the idea at work. That 2 are easier than one the right space apart. You have to walk one anyway so the other just comes with you and they keep each other entertained as well.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
We have 3, 2 x ess, 7 and 6 years old and a little jrt who is now 3. They are all very different but a really nice little group together. We wouldnt be without at least 2 at once. Although they are never left for more than 4 hours at a time I do like them to have doggy company as well as human. Ive had at least 3 for the last 20 years!