Am I making the wrong decision?

misskk88

Visit site
My horse has now been happily retired for the past month or two, and I have decided to make the decision to PTS about October time. Some of you may have followed my other posts about it all and whether to retire/keep in work etc.

She has had on and off lameness and always come back 100% sound again since I have had her, although it has always been explained by a pulled shoe/abscess/other similar scenario. However the bouts of lameness started to get a bit longer and looked a little more sore each time. Vet and physio reckoned changes from old age and potentially an old injury. As it was being managed with appropriate box rest/time off etc, we were all happy for that to continue.

The past year she has literally been hacking very lightly perhaps 2-3 times a week and at a pretty steady pace! The lameness reappeared, and when it started showing again with only 10-15 minutes work (and she tried to get her rider off which she has never done), I decided to call it a day, and that she was clearly telling me enough was enough. She is 19, has had a tough competition life, and so I don't see the point in putting her through the stress of rehab/box rest/trying to get her fit again, because I KNOW that she won't hold up to it all. Seeing the progression of the lameness and her over the past few years, I think it is only gradually going to get worse. I noticed last year she had a blast around on the winter ground and was slightly off for a few days after- I think this winter she may feel it more so.

My view has been to retire her, allow her the summer to enjoy and then PTS. She has pretty much had over a year semi retired already and the last few months of sun this year, I think she would enjoy. I don't find it fair to keep trying to make her into a lightly ridden hack given her soundness the last few times ridden etc.

However, a few people have commented why don't I find her a retirement home if she is field sound, or why don't I try and see whether there is anyone who wants to hack out maybe once a week just to keep her ticking over. She is looking great, bright eyed and bushy tailed and appears chilled and happy with two pals on grass livery.

I see it as, how is it fair to uproot her to a new home, where she potentially could go really lame and then need PTS anyway, or that the home is going to have to manage her closely if she does. For that reason to loan her as a companion is going to be hard. I already have financial issues to sort out too, and to keep her in grass livery for potentially the next couple of years isn't possible. I think winter would be hard on her as above. And anyway, the grass livery I have is only temporary until they sort the fields for hay- so I wouldn't want to uproot her again from here for the sake of another month or so.

So tell me... Am I wrong or selfish, to make the PTS decision sooner, rather than later?

Michen

Visit site
I think you've answered your own question with everything you've said and that you are doing the best thing all round x

My horse has now been happily retired for the past month or two, and I have decided to make the decision to PTS about October time. Some of you may have followed my other posts about it all and whether to retire/keep in work etc.

She has had on and off lameness and always come back 100% sound again since I have had her, although it has always been explained by a pulled shoe/abscess/other similar scenario. However the bouts of lameness started to get a bit longer and looked a little more sore each time. Vet and physio reckoned changes from old age and potentially an old injury. As it was being managed with appropriate box rest/time off etc, we were all happy for that to continue.

The past year she has literally been hacking very lightly perhaps 2-3 times a week and at a pretty steady pace! The lameness reappeared, and when it started showing again with only 10-15 minutes work (and she tried to get her rider off which she has never done), I decided to call it a day, and that she was clearly telling me enough was enough. She is 19, has had a tough competition life, and so I don't see the point in putting her through the stress of rehab/box rest/trying to get her fit again, because I KNOW that she won't hold up to it all. Seeing the progression of the lameness and her over the past few years, I think it is only gradually going to get worse. I noticed last year she had a blast around on the winter ground and was slightly off for a few days after- I think this winter she may feel it more so.

My view has been to retire her, allow her the summer to enjoy and then PTS. She has pretty much had over a year semi retired already and the last few months of sun this year, I think she would enjoy. I don't find it fair to keep trying to make her into a lightly ridden hack given her soundness the last few times ridden etc.

However, a few people have commented why don't I find her a retirement home if she is field sound, or why don't I try and see whether there is anyone who wants to hack out maybe once a week just to keep her ticking over. She is looking great, bright eyed and bushy tailed and appears chilled and happy with two pals on grass livery.

I see it as, how is it fair to uproot her to a new home, where she potentially could go really lame and then need PTS anyway, or that the home is going to have to manage her closely if she does. For that reason to loan her as a companion is going to be hard. I already have financial issues to sort out too, and to keep her in grass livery for potentially the next couple of years isn't possible. I think winter would be hard on her as above. And anyway, the grass livery I have is only temporary until they sort the fields for hay- so I wouldn't want to uproot her again from here for the sake of another month or so.

So tell me... Am I wrong or selfish, to make the PTS decision sooner, rather than later?

paddi22

Visit site
i used to have grazing in a field with a few retired horses and it really put me off the idea of retiring for years and years. they genuinely haven't a clue they are retired, every day is pretty much the same as the next, they struggle through winters getting older and older and its not like they are consciously planning their future. It really helped me decide that long retirements are fairly pointless.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I have made the same decision about my horse, who is now 30! she doesn't really have lameness issues but I know she is not the happy horse she used to be!

I've sort of assessed mine a bit more today! She needs to be out eating but she also needs shelter, at the moment the way the field is fenced off she can't get both and she really wasn't happy this morning, she wanted to go in the shelter, even with a rug on! she has lived out 24/7 the last 13 yrs but has not done well the last few winters, so I can't make her do another! especially if she is stuggling in August!

if your pony is lame I can't see why leaving it to be lame at a retirement home is going to make either of you happy!! if the pony was fine most of the time then it would be different but it sounds like its a reoccuring issue! and surely the winter will only make it worse!

if you feel its the right thing, don't worry about what anyone else thinks

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
No, you are in no way being selfish to PTS now. She has had a great life, and a nice summer. It sounds as though PTS in October is the kindest thing for her. It was be cruel, and selfish to pass her on to another home now, or try and keep her through another winter, like others have suggested to you. It's only a matter of time before her next lameness or Lami. attack.

I think she really would be grateful to go before the cold and wet winter sets in, after having a nice pain-free few months being a horse.
Better a day too soon, than a day too late.

((((Hugs)))) strength, it's never an easy decision. X

applecart14

Visit site
Do you know what the lameness stems from? If its spavin for example then this can be addressed quite easily as can most types of coffin joint athritis. Arthritic horses kept in regular work (20-30 mins schooling three times a week, hacking hour three times a week and the odd competition for example) are better than a horse being ridden for an hour once a week. There are plenty of things that can be done these days to keep an old horse ticking over. Did you actually get a diagnosis from your vet about the lameness. Sorry if you've been through this already on your other posts, I think I have missed them.

At the end of the day you know your horse best. If you think its best to PTS then do so. But I know that I could have had Bailey PTS years ago but decided to go through every treatment option open and now he's doing really well. You have probably already done this, like I said I've not read your posts.

Good luck whatever you decide. she sounds like she has a wonderful owner. x

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You are definitely NOT wrong. You have made the decision in the best interests of your horse, with all the info that you need to do so.
There will always be someone who questions your decision, ignore them.

A few years ago, I asked our EDT to just do enough work to make our elderly cob comfortable for the next few weeks as a vet had said that she had heart problems. The young girl who came with EDT, offered to give the mare a home if she was to be pts - which didn't make sense to me.
In fact I asked the senior vet from the practice to re-assess the mare before we made a final decison and we kept her another couple of healthy years.
And, for the record, I have used a different EDT since then, as I didn't appreciate the interference. I would never move an elderly/infirm horse to a new herd.
Fingers crossed for a lovely couple of months of Indian Summer that your horse (and the rest of us) can benefit from.

Last edited:

Dexydoodle

Visit site
You know your horse, and you, I am sure, are making the right decision for her. I had my 17 year old mare PTS in March this year, she had arthritis in her hocks (which had previously responded to steroids) and then developed arthritis in a foreleg too. She was lame in the field, visibly, even after injections and other treatments. My vet, who always had a plan, agreed with me we'd reached the end of what we could do and it wasn't fair on her to continue like that and she was too lame to retire and wouldn't have coped with it anyway (v good doer - can't restrict grazing/ stable due to the arthritis but without it her weight would balloon - also bad!).

Despite all that I still had people telling me to try xyz. It was hard, and I still mull it over now, but I stuck to my decision and although I miss her like mad (and yes i'm welling up writing this) and wish I could have my girl back to have fun with, the thing that keeps getting me through it is that I made the right decision. I didn't listen to other people telling me to try fairy dust/ magic sparkles/ give her loads of bute and ride her, and whether or not other people agree with it, I absolutely believe it was the right thing to do and I didn't drag her pain out any longer. I feel bad enough that the last treatment option we tried we had to wait 2 weeks to see if it worked (it didn't!) and in my mind I had her in pain for 2 weeks longer than I should have done.

I guess what i'm rambling-ly trying to say is, if you truly believe you've made the right decision, stick by it. Feel free to PM me if you like. Big hugs x

kez1001

Visit site
I don't think you are making the wrong decision to PTS. Horses have no concept of what they want to be up to tomorrow or what lies ahead of them. They are also designed not to show pain so if yours is lame walking about and struggles to maintain soundness then I think you are making an informed choice based on your horses welfare.

My current horse has recently been through similar situation. Was first not sound last October and recently this year was diagnosed with ulcers and wasn't quite right behind. We investigated fully and did bone scans etc. We have found arthritic changes in every joint we have looked at. I decided to let him have a good spell of time off and consider him a light hack. However farrier felt increased digital pulses and possible laminitis so I called vet out. good news not laminitis but he was lame in both back legs and scuffing his feet, which I had noticed the wear due to him not being shod behind. Vet compared him to a 40yo ex pro rugby player whose body had been through the mill. He said he wished he could say we could fix one thing to help but largely it would be a few danilon and time off. Hes not in work at moment so time off already done. Long term I cant give him danilon just to be in the field due to risk of his stomach ulcers reoccurring and he isn't a horse that is particularly happy just living out. Winter will bring its own issues with stabling etc. My vet is very realistic and said that horses like mine don't do well in retirement facilities as hes used to a one to one, I couldn't give him to anyone for fear something else would happen and I also feel that is not responsible ownership. I was devastated especially as my horse is only 9yo. However he is an exracer and he ran as a 2yo and 3yo. He looks lovely with his shiny coat and even a little fat for him at the moment but I know I will have a big decision soon.

Take care and ignore everyone else. Only you know whats best for your horse.

fatpiggy

Visit site

Your story is so like mine, except that my mare was retired for about 5 years. I made the decision around Easter and had her PTS at the end of October - one of the factors that helped decide the date was that she was terrified of fireworks and they were getting worse and worse each year (I'd actually moved her off the old yard to a farm to get away from them). Leaving her out wasn't really safe as she was partially sighted and seemed to have very poor night vision so was at risk of going through the bottom fence into a 9 foot deep drainage ditch if she had panicked. The week before I checked the long-range weather forecast so that I was confident of having at least a dry if not particularly sunny day for it - I didn't want her being put down in the rain.

In no way are you being selfish - quite the opposite. You would be selfish if you were just keeping her going despite her problems. You have my support 100%.

misskk88

Visit site
Thanks all. I know in my head I am doing right by her, but when you have voices and opinions all around you it does make you judge yourself. I knew you would be the voice of reason!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I too decided to give mine one last summer. I had 2 PTS at the end of September about 8 years ago. One had dreadful navicular and the other was 28 and was arthritic and beginning to 'not do herself well'. It broke my heart ( again ) but the huge depression in my life disappeared. I did feel a bit better when a week later there was 3 days of snow!! If you love them enough you always know when the time is right.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
You have made a tough decision, and really no one should be giving you advice unless they want to take her on.
When shove comes to push, she will need to be put down some time, it does not matter to her when that time comes. She could get a painful condition, or anything.
You have my support.

Enfys

Visit site
... and this is the reason when I have been on a yard with people and opinions all around me that I have had horses pts without discussing my decisions.

It is my belief that horses do NOT wake up thinking "this is the day I die" If we, as horse owners, knowing our own horses, make the decision then it is the business of no one else but us and the Vet/Huntsman (do hunts still pts ?) It won't stop people having their opinions and perhaps voicing them to your face, or more often, behind your back, but 99% of those people wouldn't have stood up and taken on a old/ailing horse with all the financial and emotional commitment that goes with them.

I do not think you are making the wrong decision, you are being responsible and good on you for not passing the buck to someone else.

Polos Mum

Visit site
The alternative is you wait until she is really ill/ in pain to PTS anyway - is that for her benefit or yours? (IMHO it would be for yours)

Loaning, retirement livery (unless expensive and established with years of references), etc all are hard work, risky and just delay the inevitable.

Try to ignore people who perhaps haven't yet been in your position and therefore don't really understand

bluedanube

Visit site
i used to have grazing in a field with a few retired horses and it really put me off the idea of retiring for years and years. they genuinely haven't a clue they are retired, every day is pretty much the same as the next, they struggle through winters getting older and older and its not like they are consciously planning their future. It really helped me decide that long retirements are fairly pointless.

Exactly this.

Piaffe123

Visit site
First of all, nobody knows your horse better than you so only you can really make this call. Others may mean well but they don't know what you've already tried/how much your horse is telling you they're done.

I had this a bit with my horse. He was 24 when we lost him and had never had a lameness problem before in his life, other than being kicked in the shoulder once! He had a fracture and a rotated pedal bone and the vet essentially said that remedial shoeing and a long period of box rest may make him sound enough to be partially turned out and partially stabled but he'd never go out 24/7 or be ridden again. This was a horse that despised being stabled and lived for his work so it was a no brainer for us and we said goodbye the same day as his X rays...there were plenty of people who said afterwards oh but wouldn't box rest have helped, couldn't he have been retired, etc. It is upsetting as you start to second guess yourself, perhaps because we so desperately want to be wrong when it comes to losing them, but you've arrived at this decision because it's the right choice for your horse and nobody else can tell you what that is.

Enormous huge hugs, it's such a difficult thing to do but it's the ultimate way of loving them as it's utterly selfless. xxxxxxxx

Barnacle

Visit site
Do you know what the lameness stems from? If its spavin for example then this can be addressed quite easily as can most types of coffin joint athritis. Arthritic horses kept in regular work (20-30 mins schooling three times a week, hacking hour three times a week and the odd competition for example) are better than a horse being ridden for an hour once a week. There are plenty of things that can be done these days to keep an old horse ticking over. Did you actually get a diagnosis from your vet about the lameness. Sorry if you've been through this already on your other posts, I think I have missed them.

At the end of the day you know your horse best. If you think its best to PTS then do so. But I know that I could have had Bailey PTS years ago but decided to go through every treatment option open and now he's doing really well. You have probably already done this, like I said I've not read your posts.

Good luck whatever you decide. she sounds like she has a wonderful owner. x

Exactly this... 19 is still very young if the lameness is only intermittent and manageable. I would ask a vet for opinions and a thorough check over before making this decision.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
19 is still very young if the lameness is only intermittent and manageable. I would ask a vet for opinions and a thorough check over before making this decision.
Well, are you willing to take the horse on and promise to give it a forever home? Do you really think OP is doing the wrong thing by HER horse?

eggs

Visit site
Exactly this... 19 is still very young if the lameness is only intermittent and manageable. I would ask a vet for opinions and a thorough check over before making this decision.

I wouldn't describe 19 as very young - particularly for a horse that has had a long competitive career.

Better to pts a week too soon than a day too late.

Achinghips

Visit site
A slightly alternative viewpoint. I have a nineteen year old on loan as a companion. She has done both collateral ligs two years ago and has arthritic changes. She has been off work during that time and is now ridden approximately once every two weeks round the block, only half a mile and is sound in walk. She is on bute to make her more comfy. She is in love with her fieldmate and they spend hours grooming and she is warmly rugged when needed and comes in for a few hours in harsh weather. She maintains weight beautifully, loves her food, is gentle and loving and I feel she is happy ......and the farrier says she does not feel particularly stiff when he trims her. It's not time yet, I feel. As long as I work hard to keep her comfortable and keep her well assessed with vet and farrier advice and keep my expectations for ridden low to non existent. The aim currently is to keep her going as long as I believe she is pain free and happy. I don't pay livery as I have my own land and she is not my only horse.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well, are you willing to take the horse on and promise to give it a forever home? Do you really think OP is doing the wrong thing by HER horse?

It does make me cross, when it is obvious that the owner has worked with the vet and explored a number of possibilities and then taken a decision, that others try to guilt-trip the owner into a different course of action.
OP has said that the lameness, while intermittent, has become more frequent, that she is having some financial issues (which are entirely her business) and that the mare would have to move if she were to go over another winter.
All those points make it clear to me that OP has thought it over carefully and come to the best conclusion in the circumstances. Better a day too soon, imo.

ETA, As a teacher, I have had more than one horse pts as a planned event at the end of the October 1/2 term holiday. that is the time when the weather tends to turn for the worse, we change the clocks, which makes life harder for the owner and it will very soon be Bonfire Night, when many horses come in overnight for the first time. It is truly the end of summer.

Last edited:

crabbymare

Visit site
I think the problem is not with your decision but that other people find it very hard to understand that its the duty of a good owner to be able to say its the end and to carry it through with regards to older (and sometimes young) horses especially when their coats are good and they are holding weight. a lot of people hate to think about animals dying and cannot come to terms with the decision so will try anything to emotionally blackmail the owner not to do it. you have thought things through and are making the right decision for the horse and for you and october is the time that a lot of people say goodbye to old or unsound horses. its probably best to keep your decision to yourself at the yard and just tell the yard owner a few days before but ask them not to say anything to anyone else as you dont want them upsetting you.

AandK

Visit site
The alternative is you wait until she is really ill/ in pain to PTS anyway - is that for her benefit or yours? (IMHO it would be for yours)

This. As some one else said, better a month too soon, than a day too late.

Not quite the same, but I had to have my beloved dog PTS last year, it was such a hard decision but it was so obvious he was in pain. He was a very stoic labrador, and when he started going off his food, I knew it was time. Looking back now, I honestly wish I had done it a few days sooner.

If you have made your decision, don't let others sway you or guilt trip you (one vet suggested a hip replacement op to me for my dog, he was 12.5yrs old fgs!!) Given her condition, and your circumstances, I think you are doing the right thing, and the best for her.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's your decision at the end of the day it's your horse and no one else's business, I totally understand why you don't want to put a 19 year old horse through continual box rest only to have a horse that can have a mooch up the road it's pointless, I tried for two years to get my 13 year old horse sound with some long bouts of box rest sound for a month or two then back to being lame it's soul destroying. I wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do just remember don't ever let anyone make you feel guilty about having her pts.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

19 is NOT very young, especially in an ex competition horse with a lot of tb blood.

OP, you have made the right decision for you both, imo.

Achinghips

Visit site

Agree. Back up your decision with your vets opinions if you are unsure.