Am I missing something?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
We’ve been looking for a transporter to move the boys when we relocate next month as given they are both around 16hh I’m pretty sure we’d be over the legal limit carrying them together in our 3.5t box.

However, I’m rapidly losing count of the amount of transporters who are quoting me to travel them in a 3.5t box. Do they have magically high payloads that mean this would be ok or am I missing something?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There are plenty of 3.5 tons built now with modern lighter but strong materials that would carry two 600kg horses and a driver. The payload on mine is over that and I have a long wheelbase with living on the back.

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
I suppose, usually if you're going somewhere youd also be carrying tack, water etc maybe a bit of a living area which all adds up. Where a transporter will have all their payload available as they're only going to have the horses on board. And if they've got a modern box stripped back to the essentials they might well be able to do it ok

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Ah brilliant, thanks all that’s good to know. Having a older box I was always under the impression that the rare few with enough payload for 2 horses were flimsy/not particularly well made so glad times have changed. I’ll definitely be asking for confirmation of payload though just in case.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Out of interest can those of you who have higher payload 3.5t let me know what you have? OH and I were planning to take our C test once restrictions lift as I’d resigned myself to the fact we’d need to get rid of the 3.5t if we wanted to take both the boys anywhere but it sounds like we might just need to look at swapping the current box for a newer model.

Littlewills

Visit site
There are plenty of 3.5 tons built now with modern lighter but strong materials that would carry two 600kg horses and a driver. The payload on mine is over that and I have a long wheelbase with living on the back.

How can a 3.5ton possibly have a payload of 1400kgs? I looked into it and its just not feasible to build or convert a box safely and genuinely have that sort of payload. If it was they would make more of them as everyone wants that.

Visit site
Transport trucks are built as lightweight as possible - no frills or added extras. No need for them. We regularly transport 2 horses in ours just within the legal limit - we are talking 5-10kg! But ours are stripped fit racehorses. We only need to take bridles, empty water buckets and a grooming kit with us to the races. We don't need extra seats or sinks or saddle racks etc

ycbm

Visit site
How can a 3.5ton possibly have a payload of 1400kgs? I looked into it and its just not feasible to build or convert a box safely and genuinely have that sort of payload. If it was they would make more of them as everyone wants that.

It is feasible, and many manufacturers now do it, because modern materials are very strong and very light. They make stirrups and stirrup bars, vital safety equipment, out of lightweight plastic composites these days. Even major parts of passenger jets. My husband is an engineer and is perfectly satisfied with the safety of my box. I've carried four inexperienced travellers in it who have bashed it about quite a fair bit. It has a day living, long wheelbase and a payload of over 1300kg A short wheelbase with no living would give you more. That's all you need to transport two biggish horses and a big driver.

Micropony

Visit site
Mine is a 4t and the weighbridge said that with a driver, a passenger, water and haynets it has a payload of just over 1200kg for horses and tack. That's with all the usual kit and caboodle that lives in the groom's area, and the build includes a tack locker but no fanciness. So tight for 2 full size horses and tack, but probably just about legal as long as neither of them is a porker!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Who are these ‘many manufacturers’ who make safe 3.5t boxes with a 1400kg payload?

Any mainstream trustworthy ones?

I’m genuinely interested, as I know when we were looking a few years back the only ones quoting that kind of payload I wouldn’t travel a my little pony in, let alone my actual ponies!

ycbm

Visit site
Who are these ‘many manufacturers’ who make safe 3.5t boxes with a 1400kg payload?

ETA I dont think you will find 1400kg anywhere.

Your definition of trustworthy wouldn't be the same as mine, I suspect. I don't go for big brand names, they cost too much. My engineer assures me my box is safe, with a good bulkhead, partition and front bar and rubber lined composite walls to hold the horse. The rest looks flimsy but isn't, it's just modern plastics. You (one) would think from looking at it that the wall the horses face is very flimsy, but one of the first horses I put in it pulled back until he snapped a lead rope and the wall wasn't damaged at all. I don't recommend the manufacturer because of their appalling finishing, but the box is sound.

When it comes to horseboxes, there is still a psychological link between heavy and safe for many buyers.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ignoring equitrek atoms boss supalight do 1.32

Peter most of the big guns will do at least 1.2, so what are you basing 1.1 on?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
When I bought my Bloomfields in 2014, the standard Professional model (no breast bar, small living with saddle racks but VERY safe) had 1,200. ETA - I just checked, they say 1,000.

I believe their new One model may have more? ETA - , I looked, it is 1,100

I only intended to carry one horse, so I had loads of extras and uprated my van to 3.95 tonnes. I still have 1,200, plenty for one horse, two people and stacks of stuff.

Littlewills

Visit site
Your definition of trustworthy wouldn't be the same as mine, I suspect. I don't go for big brand names, they cost too much. My engineer assures me my box is safe, with a good bulkhead, partition and front bar and rubber lined composite walls to hold the horse. The rest looks flimsy but isn't, it's just modern plastics. You (one) would think from looking at it that the wall the horses face is very flimsy, but one of the first horses I put in it pulled back until he snapped a lead rope and the wall wasn't damaged at all. I don't recommend the manufacturer because of their appalling finishing, but the box is sound.

When it comes to horseboxes, there is still a psychological link between heavy and safe for many buyers.

I dont care about brand names in the slightest. If I can buy a bow with a payload of 1400kgs that's safe than it would make my life so much easier. But I cant find one. I find lots that claim to have a large payload, but they dont in reality. They strip them of everything, literally everything and take them with a few litres of fuel and then claim that's the payload.

I'd happily have appalling finishing if that was the compromise that needs to be made to get a safe box with a genuine payload of 1400kgs

Asha

Visit site

I’d like to know that ! I contacted all the ones I liked the look of , that had good reputations for safety etc , and non of them would offer anymore than 1.1-1.2 , and that was for the lighter weight chassis : Peugeot/ Citroen.

I kept everything as basic as possible and only have 1080kg , so will be having a 4.5t made in a couple of years

ycbm

Visit site
I dont care about brand names in the slightest. If I can buy a bow with a payload of 1400kgs that's safe than it would make my life so much easier. But I cant find one. I find lots that claim to have a large payload, but they dont in reality. They strip them of everything, literally everything and take them with a few litres of fuel and then claim that's the payload.

I'd happily have appalling finishing if that was the compromise that needs to be made to get a safe box with a genuine payload of 1400kgs

I don't think you'll find 1400kg anywhere. When I answered TP I didn't spot that she had used that figure.

Asha

Visit site
Would you be able to uprate your current box to 3.9t?

I could, but it would mean my daughter couldnt drive it, we both paid for it, so its 50 % hers. As she had epilepsy as a baby, shes not allowed to go for her HGV/LGV until next year. Even then i dont think it would be enough,with the IDs both weighing in at 650kg each , it doesnt leave enough payload for tack/water or me:).

Ive got a nice peugeot chassis all lined up , i just need to wait until the business has finished with it:D

ycbm

Visit site
Valegro was travelled in a Boss in the UK I believe. Probably just about OK on quality :)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
ignoring equitrek atoms boss supalight do 1.32

Peter most of the big guns will do at least 1.2, so what are you basing 1.1 on?

100kg is two of me or three bales of good hay. Which is nothing, essentially, to take you to beyond what is safe or advisable. At full capacity you are legal, but have no wriggle room for anything other than flat roads with little traffic IMO.