Am i over reacting?

Alchemy

Visit site
I feel really sad after finding out that my horse's ACHT level has tripled and will now be on prascend ( probably for the rest of his life)and re tested in 6 weeks. I sort of knew this was coming as he has all the signs/symptoms and its not like its anything life threatning or a death sentance and certainly a managable condition

so why do i feel so sad?

He is still in good level of work and certain doesnt look his 18 years!

sorry pointless thread really just wondered how people react to different type of news when it comes down to their horses/animals?

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I think its perfectly fine and normal to be upset over bad news about an animal you love. You just have to remember and keep repeating to yourself that, like you said, its not a death sentence and he'll likely have many years of work left in him yet :)

soulfull

Visit site
Hugs
It's perfectly normal to feel like that. You've kind of had to face the fact your horse is not invincible and that sucks.

Micky

Visit site
It is a normal reaction, dont worry, it will pass!
I had a similar feeling when I had to upp my lads Prascend to 2 a day recently..but after an exciting spooky, exhilarating hack the other day, realised its me not him, whos got a block in my head! Hes fine and dandy as long as i keep doing the diet/management thing for him..Yes enjoy him, he could be bouncing you around for years yet! Keep your chin up :)

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
You may find that it feels like you have a new horse once the Prascend kicks in. I didn't think mine felt like there was much wrong with him but 6 months later he feels 10 years younger.

honetpot

Visit site
When I found out my home bred two year old has a sarcoid I had a good cry. He will probably live for years but its an sign that his life is not infinite. I have a field full of oldies, one day they suddenly become old people, it creeps up on you like old mothers footsteps. I have a good cry and then get on with it, its just life.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm just starting my horse on long term probably permant bute. I too feel a bit gutted, not sure why and no one seems to understand why! I suppose it's a kind of realisation that they are not invincible?
So yes I think it's normal and I totally understand why your sad xx

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think it's because it brings it home to you that ' that day ' will come but it's true it makes you feel awful.
With the youngster and the sarcoids i would be gutted too one because it's a significant impairment and it can cost a fortune that's rotten luck honetpot.

misskk88

Visit site
I think its perfectly fine and normal to be upset over bad news about an animal you love. You just have to remember and keep repeating to yourself that, like you said, its not a death sentence and he'll likely have many years of work left in him yet :)

I think it is a normal reaction. You care for your horse, you want him to be in the best health possible. As long as it is managed well, he will have many happy years left yet! :)

Alchemy

Visit site
why has it tripled? Manage it well and give him the Prascend

I hadnt even thought about that to be honest, stupid i know! seeing as his last 2 tests the results showed a slight increase but no where near this last result. Yep it will be managed well and monitored and hopefully the prascend will help and thats all i can do. Luckily he has never had laminitis

Alchemy

Visit site
Don't be complacent, just because hes never had it doesn't mean he won't get it

I certainly wont be, in all the years i have had him he has been fed and treated as if he was a laminitic as i certainly dont want him to get it ( seen a lot when i worked in equine hospital)

Alchemy

Visit site
During winter in at night out during day on poor grass and not out if ground frosty, summer out 24 hrs ( he has COPD & DJD in both hocks so i want him out he is muzzeld all day and allowed some grass at night

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Pointless allowing grass at night, encouraging him to gorge himself.

There is such a thing as quality of life, its not always about quantity. If the alternatives are keeping stabled at night all year and letting horse stiffen up or muzzling 24/7, I think the OP has has the quality Vs quantity balance about right.

ljm

Visit site
There is also such a thing as Laminitis. Believe me I know.

Anyway my suggestion would be allow a couple of hours without muzzle, certainly not all night.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
OP does actually say some grass.. not a whole night of grass/no indication of the paddock he is in/whether he is on a track system so I think you are rather jumping on her unnecessarily. I think she is well aware of the laminitis risk and the prascend will also help with that anyway. Sounds like you are happy to manage in his best interests OP :)

Alchemy

Visit site
There is such a thing as quality of life, its not always about quantity. If the alternatives are keeping stabled at night all year and letting horse stiffen up or muzzling 24/7, I think the OP has has the quality Vs quantity balance about right.

Thanks Sugar and Spice

Alchemy

Visit site
OP does actually say some grass.. not a whole night of grass/no indication of the paddock he is in/whether he is on a track system so I think you are rather jumping on her unnecessarily. I think she is well aware of the laminitis risk and the prascend will also help with that anyway. Sounds like you are happy to manage in his best interests OP :)

Thanks ester :eek: i am managing him well i think! he is in a pddock with poor grass he doesnt gorge himself he isnt on a track system we have a good system at the moment we are both happy he's in work and althought it may not be everyones idea of how to treat a cushing horse it seems to work well due to COPD & DJD i am very anti shutting him in a stable for 12 hours a day and his quality of life is also important to me. I have just clipped him again so he's out naked as well