Am I ready?

misswinter

Visit site
Hi everyone just after people's thought on wether you would say I was "ready" to have a horse of my own.

I had ridden from when I was 7 till 17, during this working in my riding stables from 14-17 with both riding school and livery horses so am confident on ground handling as have worked with cheeky ponies to stubborn mares and understand the importance of being respected by horses. Happy with my knowledge how to address issues regarding behavoural and herd possition in a confident but gentle manner.

I went to university from 18-21 and have done the odd hacks on holiday and lessons over the last 3 years. Started having 2-3 private lessons a week in march in an attempt to regain my riding skills but really want my own horse as I feel would benefit me more as I could ride more often. I would also continue with lessons either on my own horse or at a riding school probolly either once a week or once a fortnight depending on my needs.

At present I can w/t/c have done small jumps I am confident to jump any height as I have always enjoyed it but haven't done as height as I used to yet. Also have been doing leg yields and working horses on an outline which can be tricky on a riding school horse with a dead mouth bless him!

Currently have ridden different horses,including a stubborn mare who required lots of persistence and a no messing approach and she would stop and refuse to work if she felt she could get away with it and was unhappy going above slow plod in walk, managed to get her attention and show her what I expected and wouldn't let her mess me around and she ended up,cantering over jumps happily and seem to enjoy herself the riding instructor sais I handled her well as it was my first time on her.

Anyway I would be looking for something over 14.2 not really bothered about breed probolly looking older than 7. But all depends on the temperament. Would be looking for all rounder, that likes to hack either alone or in company. Would be happy to have a horse that needs confident rider to hack alone as I like to build up trust and work together through any issues.

Would be kept on full livery at a lovely yard with indoor school,lots of off road hacking. Due to my job as a nurse I work 3 12hr shifts a week can be days or nights so felt full livery was best to guarantee a constant routine as at times I may have to stay in work later on short notice etc. The yard is only 10 mins from my work and is inbetween my work and my house so intend on calling in after work to check up and get some cuddles/ groom is needed etc and obviously I'm off 4 days a week so will spend these riding grooming schooling or anything that's needed!

Sorry for the long post just would like people's ideas on whether they think I am ready :) forgot to add I would be full loaning a horse ideally!

ponies4ever

Visit site
you sound like you've got tonnes of experience and if you aren't sure on something someone can probably help you with it. owning a horse is a learning curve and with more riding you sound like you could be back were you used to be in no time! good luck and have fun

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It sounds like you will be at a yard that will offer support, you are thinking things through carefully and are willing to learn so I would say 'yes.'

Good luck in finding your perfect horse. :)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
You appear to have far more experience than a lot of poeple have when buying their first horse, plus you will be on a livery yard with experienced people around. Go for it!

misswinter

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Where would you recommend looking for a horse! I'm currently looking on preloved, and horses4homes as I like the idea of rehoming a horse that someone can no longer keep to give it a happy life rather stuck in a charity :) any other good websites for full loans?

edgedem

Visit site
Definitely ready. you have tons more experience than I did when I bought my first horse, ive been graced with experienced close friends & learnt along the way! Go for it :)

misswinter

Visit site
Yeah would like to rehome one have looked on homes4horses and world horse and blue cross do you know any other horse charity websites? :)

misswinter

Visit site
Yeah having a problem with the trying to find a perfect horse part :p as I don't want to over sell myself so am looking for horse that is "a novice ride" but majority of them say no novices etc.

Am happy for a forward going but safe horse as I don't want a plod along. And as above am happy to work through small issues like napping or lack of confidence when hacking so maybe I should not discount those those say not novice or ask the seller why they've put this?

embu

Visit site
Yes! I also think you are ready and to be honest from what you have said I wouldn't worry if an advert says a horse is not for novices, they usually mean someone that cannot even do rising trot! I think you are above that level and fairly confident - you could try World Horse Welfare charity and Homes4Horses

Good Luck, don't forget to enjoy the search as well :)

Packhorse1

Visit site
You are most probably above novice. If your riding school would be happy to send you out on a reasonably forward going horse on your own, you are not what many would call a novice

ISHdaft

Visit site
Looks like you should be fine :) i'd maybe consider a loan or LWVTB before rushing in though just to give you the better idea of actually owning a horse and having the commitment. xx