Am I right to feel upset?

LaurenBay

Visit site
I'd be tempted to report them to the BHS, leaving you unattended during lessons so they can have a break is crazy. I have never heard anything like it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'd be tempted to report them to the BHS, leaving you unattended during lessons so they can have a break is crazy. I have never heard anything like it.

I'm not sure that BHS could do anything if the RS isn't approved but it might be worth notifying the licensing Local Authority. Adorable Alice would probably be able to tell you if the council can do anything about it.

numptynovice

Visit site
I’d be beyond furious if my novice daughter who’d only been riding 4 months was being left to fend for herself for 5-10 mins during a lesson forking out £45 for lessons. Dangerous and not exactly value for money!

Agree with everyone else that you should be looking for a different riding school - I tried out lots of different schools before I settled on one I’m happy with. Go for a BHS or ABRS registered school.

cassiesmith22

Visit site
How's it going now?

I complained and asked for a refund and they gave me 2 lessons which were focused on cantering. :) Cantered with and without stirrups as well so I'm pretty confident now.
My last lesson with them today was just trot and walk focused but it's okay because I was on a horse I've never cantered on. I feel bad that I didn't say goodbye to them even though they weren't the best, they don't even know that I'm leaving the RS :confused:

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
Have you asked them why they aren't letting you canter?

If you're riding private lessons 4 times a week I'd be expecting to canter by now.
I think it said for 4 months but maybe I didn't read it thoroughly enough!! :)

My bad- I read the rest and I can see she has 4 more lessons to squeeze into a week. Girl, definitely ask them to get you cantering confidently, perhaps on a different horse, ASAP!!They sound lazy, unmotivated and downright dangerous!!

Last edited:

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
If I was you I would look around local livery yards where they will most likely have better instructors, better ponies/horses and you could enquire about a weekly share on a suitable pony. RS's are not often the best place to learn.......some are excellent I know but this one sounds below par. Another advantage of a livery yard is you will start to learn basic horsemanship such as tacking up, grooming etc.