Am I right to think this is rude?

RollOnSpring

Visit site
Christ, if you're upset over this then you won't last long on most livery yards!!

Wait until you meet Mrs I Know Everything About Your Horse and see how rude you think she is. Can't wait for that thread! Good luck :D

Last edited:

Feival

Visit site
Simply protective, as any parent or aunt, uncle, grandparent etc, would be when a child is being called rude when they are simply inquisitive.

Oh dear. With those life values, it's perhaps just as well you're only his aunt - and hopefully with no great influence on him. Scary.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
It sounds to me as if these children were quite well behaved, not rude. They were not running around and screaming, something I really hate seeing children doing around livery yards, they seem to have been simply curious. Also I would much rather my son speak to adults than be hiding behind me being all shy and difficult to talk to. I always encouraged him to politely ask if he wanted to know something and always to listen to the answer given. It's called learning to communicate in an adult fashion. OP I really think you are being rather precious about this incident and creating a problem where there really isn't one. Also if these children are used to being on the yard then there doesn't seem much harm in them not having a parent standing over them, I am sure Mum or Dad wasn't far away from such young children.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I find it amazing, hilarious and frankly overwhelming how those people with children expect the whole of society to tolerate , put up with, entertain and raise their children. Their only children, they ask questions, they going to invade your privacy , be rude but it's ok because their only children. To me the phrase " they are only children" cover the lack of manners most children have these days and bad parenting. You chose to have the bloody things, keep them to your self, others chose not to have the brats and should not have to put up worth them. Before you start I am usually polite to young people but will not put up with then ruining my day. Yes I am a teacher and spend my days dealing with what becomes of children dragged up and not taught manners, dragged up by parents who should not have bothered having them!! Theses children sound nosy and rude, I would find the "adult" responsible and ask what the matter was.

alainax

Visit site
I am bad for making up stories when I get asked daft questions. My own kids know if you ask a daft question you get a daft answer.

I'd have told them that I closed it to stop the dragon from escaping, and ask what time the dragon gets fed at. A young girl was climbing the gate into the gelding field today (mum nearby). She was asking about the padlock and I told her it is to keep little girls from escaping from the fields. Once the climb in, they are stuck! She didn't speak to me again and got off the gate. :p

Fun Times

Visit site
Hellfire. I read the title and then the opening post and kept expecting it to end with something like "and then the kids spit at me" or "and the kids told me to leave the effing gate alone". But no, they just asked why you had shut a gate?!? The culmination of the post was that two children asked a perfectly reasonable qu?! Oh my word, however do you by in every day life where presumably you have to interact with other humans on a regular basis? You must be upset and offended almost every day!!

Feival

Visit site
I find it amazing, hilarious and frankly overwhelming how those people with children expect the whole of society to tolerate , put up with, entertain and raise their children. Their only children, they ask questions, they going to invade your privacy , be rude but it's ok because their only children. To me the phrase " they are only children" cover the lack of manners most children have these days and bad parenting. You chose to have the bloody things, keep them to your self, others chose not to have the brats and should not have to put up worth them. Before you start I am usually polite to young people but will not put up with then ruining my day. Yes I am a teacher and spend my days dealing with what becomes of children dragged up and not taught manners, dragged up by parents who should not have bothered having them!! Theses children sound nosy and rude, I would find the "adult" responsible and ask what the matter was.

With an attitude like that, no wonder so many hate school!

RollOnSpring

Visit site

I don't particularly like kids but not to the extent you dislike them clearly. Why in earth are you a teacher? Surely you're just like some massive ball of anger every day of your life?!!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site

I am appalled that you are a teacher, with the lack of manners towards children you have shown in this post I would not want you anywhere near my child let alone a role model as a teacher. My son has always been inquisitive, he has not been 'dragged up' but has been allowed to interact with adults from a very young age, he is always polite and if he wasn't there would be severe consequences. Needless to say I have never had to use any punishment because he knows how to behave. He is now 17 and is an extremely polite and articulate teenager that is because he has been allowed to speak to and learn from adults from the moment he could speak not because I have taught him its rude to speak to or question an adult.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well given that they only spoke when spoken too...

I hate kids but I really don't see the issue here. Today I got asked why I go out in his Mum's lorry dont I have my own :D. Well cos Granny's pony doesn't like going out on his own when Mum has to take you to birthday party and Granny needs a map reader. Situation sorted

Llanali

Visit site
I am appalled that you are a teacher, with the lack of manners towards children you have shown in this post I would not want you anywhere near my child let alone a role model as a teacher. My son has always been inquisitive, he has not been 'dragged up' but has been allowed to interact with adults from a very young age, he is always polite and if he wasn't there would be severe consequences. Needless to say I have never had to use any punishment because he knows how to behave. He is now 17 and is an extremely polite and articulate teenager that is because he has been allowed to speak to and learn from adults from the moment he could speak not because I have taught him its rude to speak to or question an adult.

Agreed. Good lord. I am glad you live in Kent and I don't, suzistokes, because I would like to think my daughter's teachers would/will nurture her, not teach her with gritted teeth whilst simultaneously thinking black thoughts.

Do you k is what annoys me? We encourage our children to say thank you to the shop lady, or thank you to the bus driver, or wave goodbye when leaving a restaurant, and yet some in society would have them lynched, so it would seem, for asking a question to a stranger. So it's ok for them to interact with some people they don't know, but not others?

Anyway. I think OP is over thinking this, I don't think the parents set them up at all, more like they simply commented along the lines of "the new lady must have closed the gate", and the children repeated it. Much like my daughter announced at the show today that "mummy has been for a wee and washed her hands". I didn't ask her to say that, I just told her that's what I was doing.

Fun Times

Visit site
I think OP and Sukistokes2 need to set up their own livery yard together. Possibly on an otherwise uninhabited island where no-one can inadvertently irritate them and send them nuclear....

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
And even if all those boxes were ticked, I still maintain that children of that age should only be on a yard under very close supervision. As I say, I have had three of my own, but no way would I have ever allowed them to wander around a yard or car park unsupervised at that age. Besides which, the yard was my sanctuary. Even if the YO had allowed them, I would have lied just so that I could have had some 'me' time with my boy without my (dearly loved as it happens) children :)

I have been on a number of livery yards, and each was different with regards to children. At some they stayed in the car if they came at all, at others were always at the parents side. At the last one, which was on a farm, the owner had a child and children were encouraged to be on the yard, help out with the horses and ponies (and chickens and calves) where safe, and play together. Of course they had to be polite and considerate (no yelling and spooking the horses etc) and do as they were told, but someone new on the yard was very likely to be interact with children at some point and whilst there would have been an adult nearby it might well not be the parent but another livery or the YO. Obviously most (though not all) of the liveries were parents.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I'm not a kid person. No way, nuh-uh. I've even had a few run-ins in livery yards with unruly kids and their obnoxious parents. However, I don't see a problem in this situation. They just asked a few daft questions, sure, but, I mean, how is that worthy a public rant?

Pedantic

Visit site
Horse & Bitchfest Forum LMFAO, lets all sing along together now, Children are our future, in our best Kariecroakie Whitney Houston Coke fueled voices.

Fidgety

Visit site
If anyone had an opinion like this about my nephew, I'd flatten them.

Oh dear. With those life values, it's perhaps just as well you're only his aunt - and hopefully with no great influence on him. Scary.

Simply protective, as any parent or aunt, uncle, grandparent etc, would be when a child is being called rude when they are simply inquisitive.

I'm utterly astounded that you think 'flattening' somebody over a remark is the appropriate response for a 'protective' adult. I sincerely hope your nephew doesn't grow up to follow your attitude that violence is the answer.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I fail to see the issue here and I really hate being around children and have no desire to have any of my own. I don't see what the children in this case actually did that was so offensive!? Kids do ask a lot of questions. It doesn't sound like they were being rude at all though. Just inquisitive and probably repeating something their parents had said which could have been innocent enough

Goldenstar

Visit site

Appalling ,thank god I don't have children so I don't have to worry that you might be teaching them .

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Surely you're just like some massive ball of anger every day of your life?!!

that made me lol-I've been accused of being that and I am not a teacher ;P

agreed-kids are annoying, I don't like them myself (also, not a teacher!) but seriously, way to get bent out of shape over nothing at all. Answer their question (or don't) and move on.

SpringArising

Visit site

I'm more concerned with the fact that you're a teacher with such atrocious spelling, grammar and punctuation. Your attitude is just the cherry on top!

Crackerz

Visit site
i hate talking to children except my nieces and nephews, it makes me very uncomfortable. I'd have probably ignored them which is childish but that's the only way i'd have thought to handle it in that situation!

I'm not sure it deserved a public rant, or even a second thought though....

Feival

Visit site
I'm utterly astounded that you think 'flattening' somebody over a remark is the appropriate response for a 'protective' adult. I sincerely hope your nephew doesn't grow up to follow your attitude that violence is the answer.

He will grow up to protect and defend himself and those he cares for. As he should.