Am i stupid to think i could ride in a 16.5 inch saddle?? with pictures

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
Just asking some opinions really

I am roughly 5'7" i think and weigh about 11.5 stone.
My horse has a very short back and ideally should have a 16.5inch saddle to comfortable, currently have a 17.5inch but really is too big is what *i think* caused his back problems.

here is a pic of me riding in current saddle which is a thorrowgood T4 but i want a dressage saddle.
DCP_2787.jpg

I ride a 13.2 fell in what i think is a 16.5inch but i feel huge in it... :(

sjp1

Visit site
I would say a 16.5 would be too small for you. Lady at my yard rides in a 16.5 but she is the same size/height as a child really!!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Easier said than done! Even pressure testing equipment struggles to give definitive answers to that. BM you really do need to see if you can find a shorter saddle, one that works for both of you. As I've posted on the the other thread, you need one that is constructed in such a way as to stay in balance - it may well need quite a deep rear panel and to be quite forwards cut - a GP or even Gp/jump, or if straighter cut, go for something where the knee/thigh block is high up and out of the way of your knee, or is on velcro and can be moved higher. Correct stirrup bar placement can help a smidge too - too far forwards and it will contribute to the whole chair seat thing..

Mithras

Visit site
I would be wary of a 16.5 inch saddle as they really feel very small. Maybe best to buy second hand and try some out first? I have two, and I'm just over 5 feet tall and 8 stones, and if I were even slightly bigger I'm sure I wouldn't fit in them. It will also depend on the make of the saddle and so on.

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
Could you not go for a 17 inch and see if it is a compromise that suits you both.......?

17 inch is still too long for him. I have had the thrrowgood for nearly 4 years and he has always had problems in his back, its only in the last few months that someone has picked up that the saddle is way too long for him, miles past his last rib and is probably causing all his issues.

I feel terrible but i didnt know about saddle fit when i bought him and the saddle so trusted the saddle fitter

1Lucie

Visit site
I am very similar to you but about an inch taller. The saddlefitter told me that i needed an 18inch but my horse could only take a 17.5. I would say you would be too small in 16.5

sbloom

I have lots of smaller adults riding in 16.5" saddles - it's definitely not ideal for you, but most horses cannot cope with too long a saddle so you have to find something that will work, or not ride the horse sadly.

The most extreme case I fitted was a 13.2 Icelandic who probably took a 5'9 or 6' rug, was long backed with stonking great but short (!) legs, and his rider was 15 stones. He could only take our most compact model in a 15"! I ended up fitting a 17" seated ReactorPanel sddle - the flexible nature of the panel means that it bears much less weight at the edges and can be fitted much longer. Expensive but great saddles.

Bubbles

Visit site
William Fox-Pitt rides in a 17 inch saddle - you could have a 16.5 in saddle with a flat seat so it's not too long for your horse but has enough room to accommodate you :)

TigerTail

Visit site
Unless you do a lot of jumping id go for a 17'' HM vogue as when ur sat on them theyre like a lilo and lift up at the back so no pressure :)

Shadster

Visit site
Wow do 16 panels with a 17" seat, this is what I have on my pony. See if you can pick up a second hand one and then change the bits which don't suit. Panels, flaps and seat are interchangeable. Expensive, but you almost have a saddle for life!

dafthoss

Visit site
A 16.5 thats quite flat should allow you lots of room. I'm 5'2 and I have just ridden a pony in a 15' bates gp, so knee rolls and good cantle no problem.

PercyMum

Visit site
I had this problem - in fact it was so bad that NFU wrote him off as unrideable as noone thought there was a saddle problem!! I had Sam Barratt in who fitted a 16.5" Saddle Company GP with a flat seat and square cantle. The ginger ninja loves it and I find it very comfortable. I'm 5'9 and weigh 12 stone if that helps.

be positive

Visit site
It would be worth looking at the Bates, a girl on the yard who is taller than you has a 16 1/2 Caprilli jumping one, it is fairly flat in the seat, not very comfy in my opinion but could be suitable. What you need to avoid is getting a childs saddle.

ajb123

Visit site
I have a 16hh Arab/ QHwho was difficult to find a saddle for. Not only is he deceptively wide, he is also extremely short coupled. I am 5ft 5in and weight 10.5 stone (eek!). The saddler I use went for an Ideal VSD based on the H & C tree with a 16.5 inch seat. It is fabulous and fits us both! It has a square cantle and I "think" that means you can squidge a bit more bum on to it!!!!!

Bryndu

Visit site
Not a problem you will be fine...BUT...you have to find the right saddle!
I ride a Sec C in a 16 inch saddle and have to say Working Hunters are the best.
He has an Ideal..they have a flatter seat...are very comfy..and you can jump in them..and do dressage. You could always look at the Ideal dressage too.
I have NEVER been able to get a GP to fit him due to his big shoulders....and you may find the same problem with your Fell.
Best of luck.... a saddle that is too long creates all sorts of back issues....
Bryndu :)

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
What about a complete curve ball and look at the Elizabeth Werth Dressage Saddle?

I am 5'6 (with a 34" leg) and have a 17'' one of these and it fits me fine. I could comfortably go down half an inch or more because your leg is 2" further back than in a normal saddle, I can remove the thigh blocks/ knee rolls and the seat is very narrow so your leg hangs down underneath you- all of this shortens your seat!

I love mine, but I find that people with shorter legs, (or shorter thighs) find it pitches them forwards and makes them unstable. I'm happy jumping in it and riding out the broncs with no ill effects!

I have the Wintec Version and it cost md £350 off ebay + the correct gullet.

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
I think it's doable, as other have said it's just finding the right saddle, best talking to a decent fitter. I'm 5'7" and about 10st and sometimes ride in a 13" western! (but that is bigger than the english sizing mind). I also rode regularly last year in a 16" english with no problems and I don't have a particularly tiny ar$e like! :D

sbloom

Humm as i thought really, im going to have to keep going with this one with the padding under it untill i can fork out for a M2M one for us both.

You really don't need M2M - just a fitter who understands your shape of horse and has brands to suit, and a bench made saddle if you need a slightly deeper or shorter panel. I fitted a 5'7" 10 stone lady yesterday in a standard 16.5" flat seated M&M GP saddle and she was surprised at the amount of room she had.

OFG

Visit site
I have the same problem at the moment. Short coupled 13.2 Exmoor with a lovely 16 / 16.5" Ideal (quite straight cut). This saddle was M2M for him and came with him when I took him on last year.

I'm a tad under 5ft8 and weigh 10stone at the moment. My problem stems from very very long legs and jumping is interesting as my knees overshoot the knee rolls by miles.

Saddle fitter coming out next week to look at saddle / pony / me with a view to finding another saddle to use for jumping.

I don't find it difficult to ride in the current saddle but have had to adapt my riding style to suit pony and the saddle.

wench

Visit site
On a slightly different note... I was told my horse needed a 16.5" saddle... as she is too small for anything else.

Turned out to be a load of rubbish, as the saddle model sold to me doesnt come in 16.5"... the smallest is 17", which is what she was in anyway!

rossiroo

Visit site
All saddles vary a bit size wise. I use a 16" because I am v short in leg, it does look a bit short on my boys back but saddle fitter and I am both happy. A big saddlecloth disguises it well.

Jazzy B

Visit site
I'm 5ft 10 and rode my pony (14hh) in a 16.5 inch ideal saddle which I had made for her so it would fit the both of us. She really wasn't a child's ride, and we had to find a compromise :rolleyes: If I was you, I would strongly recommend getting another saddler out and be really honest with them, I am sure you could find something that would work for you both. Synthetics can be really good saddles, but sometimes just don't fit everything and everybody. :)

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
Thanks everyone, of course i will get a saddler out but its not going to happen until i get some cash together unfortunately. i have been given a 17inch really old T4 thats fits nicely but is till a tad long so riding in that for the moment and hoping it doesnt cause too many issue, he seems happy in it anyway. but ideally i would like a dressage saddle.

Im sure its doable just need something with longer flaps i think

maxapple

Visit site
I have a 16.5 inch saddle for my pony. I'm about 5'5 and 8 1/2 stone and It fits fine. It's a dressage saddle so perhaps a little higher at the back.

domane

Visit site
I would say try it. See if you can get a saddle fitter to bring a T'good Cob with a square cantle in a 16.5" I have one in a 17.5" and find it far roomier for my ample derriere than previous 17.5" saddles. You may be pleasantly surprised.