Am I the only the one who makes things hard for themselves..?

Buds_mum

Visit site
So I have decided to start bringing Bud in at night... Reasons;

a) He is lacking oompf and coming in overnight to a haynet and chance to rest will help
b) Weight is good and want to avoid too much of the autumn flush
c) I miss mucking out and like going up twice a day and seeing him tucked in at night with all the frills...

a and b are completely reasonable

c is ridiculous and follows no logical path :eek:

To complicate my life further I have decided to decline the yards offer of AM turnout in favor of having more control over his 'wardrobe', this is because the yard won't change rugs so turnouts stay on 24/7.

So this year he is having a stable rug on at night and then I can pick and choose his daytime (or not) rugs each morning.

I am the first to slap myself and say, horses don't need stable rugs, turnout rugs on 24/7 is acceptable and all my horses have always done this.

I have come to the conclusion that I have a psychological problem and due to change in control in work and home life I am grasping to the one thing I have total free rein and control over, down to the rug my horse wears at night and what time I turn him out, and the real phycho bit where his breakfast bowl is put in the morning because I like it in certain place for him to eat it....

So there we go I admit it, I am deranged, control freak who is a teensy bit mental when it comes to my horse.

But none of it harms him, he will love coming in, he won't notice the difference between his rugs day to night as long as they dont rub.

I on the other hand am prematurely beginning a long winter of 6am starts and endless stable chores, plus more money on feed, straw and livery.

I envy those of you who can happily have hairy beasts happily living out in happy herds (after a field accident Bud only has one other horse I let him out with) costing you minimal money and letting you lie in.

But surely I am not the only insane person? Is their enough of us to start a self help group?? :eek:

hnmisty

Visit site
I kept my ponies at home, and Misty had a tailored rug on-rug off service. If I put her out in her turnout because it was cloudy in the morning but it warmed up during the day, then I'd go out to take it off. If it started raining midway through lunch, I'd abandon ship and rush out to put it back on! Then if it got sunny again I'd go back out to remove it...

It made my dad roll his eyes, but as I said to him, she made it to 35!

lhotse

Visit site
No, you are not alone!!
Mine are in now!!
I love changing rugs, even if I do have to avoid teeth, cleaning stables is therapy against my job and everything is done to a routine so I can fit it all in!!
To be honest though, I stable mine at night all the time anyway, can't take the chance of two houdini ponies getting through the tapes into the hayfields and my mare loves her stable after the first 6 years of her life were spent on 24/7 turnout in all winds and weathers!
I actually will have to bring mine in early now though, as Network Rail have moved into our fields to put a new aquaduct over the railway and they need to raise the streambed, so with all the noise and commotion of a construction site within the field, I am loathed to leave mine out when I'm not there incase they panic and end up injured.
I don't think I could keep a horse out 24/7 over the winter, seems like harder work with all the mud and wet rugs!!

Buds_mum

Visit site
I kept my ponies at home, and Misty had a tailored rug on-rug off service. If I put her out in her turnout because it was cloudy in the morning but it warmed up during the day, then I'd go out to take it off. If it started raining midway through lunch, I'd abandon ship and rush out to put it back on! Then if it got sunny again I'd go back out to remove it...

It made my dad roll his eyes, but as I said to him, she made it to 35!

Buddy's turnouts range from no fill, to 50g, to 100g, to 150g, to 250g, to a 250g combo and finally a 350g combo for the very coldest of weather.

I dont do layering, don't like more than one rug on at a time.

Stable rugs go from cotton sheets, to fleeces, to lightweight to medium combo, he may sometimes wear a fleece layer in the stable if needed as less chance to slip when stood in stable.

I am so particular it is unreal.

Buds_mum

Visit site
No, you are not alone!!
Mine are in now!!
I love changing rugs, even if I do have to avoid teeth, cleaning stables is therapy against my job and everything is done to a routine so I can fit it all in!!
To be honest though, I stable mine at night all the time anyway, can't take the chance of two houdini ponies getting through the tapes into the hayfields and my mare loves her stable after the first 6 years of her life were spent on 24/7 turnout in all winds and weathers!
I actually will have to bring mine in early now though, as Network Rail have moved into our fields to put a new aquaduct over the railway and they need to raise the streambed, so with all the noise and commotion of a construction site within the field, I am loathed to leave mine out when I'm not there incase they panic and end up injured.
I don't think I could keep a horse out 24/7 over the winter, seems like harder work with all the mud and wet rugs!!

Yay you are as crazy as me, family and even y/o does not understand. I think of things that could happen or go wrong that others don't even contemplate!!!

I have a daily tasks list that I strictly fit too to fit everything in around work and horses with everything else I do!

montysmum1

Visit site
I love this thread - OP you could have been writing about me!! It makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only one :)

My whole world revolves around my guys, and I love it :)

WelshD

Visit site
One of mine has started coming in at night now and i swear he heaved a sigh of relief, he isnt really made for wet and cold weather despite being a native

I always think the last few minutes spent leaning on the stable door watching a clean rugged pony enjoying a haynet are some of the best minutes of my day

The other pony is happy to live out unrugged so im not about to argue with him lol

RoughcutDiamond

Visit site
Can I join please?? When I was self employed I used to rush up to yard during day if I thought my rugging/lack of had become unsuitable! Sadly now 999 calls can't wait whilst I go and see to my pride and joy!

Decided to keep Dave in last night given the weather forecast.....he was disgusted at the time but when I heard the racket outside at 5am I knew he'd be tucked up cosy. Some of the other liveries however were out....so who goes up early to bring them in with the YO??? First to-the-skin soaking of the autumn :D

soulfull

Visit site
Your definetly not alone
I too started bringing in a few days ago. Emil was driving me nuts wanting in

I would love to tuck him up in a nice stable rug but he is so mucky has to wear an outdoor in his stable. I do change rugs though. He has specific ones for outdoor and stable use as I don't want to attract flies from the muck when he is out

Mince Pie

Visit site
Mine has started coming in to keep a new horse company as the others that are in overnight are on the top yard. He's on part livery though so I can still get my lie in, however I usually put him to bed so can tuck him up at night!

GeorgeyGal

Visit site
I relate! My youngster has just started coming in and I'll admit I got a bit excited at getting a new stable and the mucking out, I like it to look neat and I love having the excuse to see her twice a day. She's predominantly white so I give her a good groom in the morning when all the mud has dried and is crumbling off, then off she goes to get as grubby as possible again. I do love a routine.

lurcher98

Visit site
I'd love to have horses that needed rugs and cosy stables :) instead I chose ponies who think rugs and stables are the work of the devil :( nothing better than tucking them in for the night on a fluffy bed.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Only 28 weeks until March 2014 ! A long old winter if you start it now. However, I do agree there is nothing more satisfying than a clean bed and a quietly munching horse.

Buds_mum

Visit site
Literally just left him now, yes quite satisfying seeing him tugging on his net while the wind and rain howls outside. No rugs as of yet in stable as want him to finish shedding and grow a good coat through before he is clipped.

I have a master plan this season too, hay split over two nets, one trickle net and one double netted with small holed nets gradually increasing the amount in the trickle net (he gets a bit raging with it so let him fill his tum first then pick at that) should make his hay last longer than the 45mins it was lasting him last winter!!!

1240294_10152170480279989_131272824_n.jpg

And AA it is cruel to remind someone just how many weeks till their next lie in :(;)

Thanks billie1007 who kindly gave me olive's trickle net, as you can see being put to good use!!! xxx :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Sorry ! couldn't resist it. Having been so laid up, through health problems, myself, this year I have been doing nothing but calculate how long things are taking to improve.

I will be back on my feet by end of November and my boys and girls will be in pamper land then.

Buds_mum

Visit site
Sorry to hear you haven't been well aa, I hope your feeling better soon. Roll on 2014 for you.

Your gang will be looking forward to your return no doubt!

maza

Visit site
Just asked my husband if this thread sounded like me he said no u are worse lol! My horse gets nick named princess due to all my rules and regulations on how she needs to be pampered! Mine live in all year round for my husbands sake as it stops me waking him at nite to say oh no can u hesr that rain they'll be wet or cold ect and fretting all nite about it or eventually going in my pjs to get them in!! We are very protective of our ponys ;-)

my bfg

Visit site
After 4 years of living out 24/7 my girls currently on box rest and I've got to say I'm really enjoying her being in and actually loving having to muck out again!

Especially enjoy it on nights like these as instead of looking out the window thinking the poor girls out in this wondering about in the mud, she's now nice and cosy on a lovely clean bed, well it was clean when I left, probably look like a bombs hit it by morning, but then I get to muck out again! Yey! :)