Am I too big for my pony?

MagicEquine1

Visit site
:( I was at the yard today and my friends have 16 + hh horses and I have a Welsh section d 14hh pony, they were all telling me about how I'm too big for him, even though I just got him 4 weeks ago. I don't want to ever sell him and I am 5'4 and I'm 13. I'm not going to grow any more and I just feel really sad because should I have got a taller pony? But I wouldn't want any other pony than him, and I just feel so terrible I wish I was smaller 😭😭😭
BJw2vuwhhuf

Theocat

Visit site
He looks lovely! And your friends are talking rubbish - you're fine. Do you jump? A few tight lines in a jump off ought to shut them up.

You might still grow a bit, but that's irrelevant - he's fine for you now and unlikely to struggle with a bit more height, so just ignore them and enjoy him!

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
Im 5ft4 and nearly 40 - i have a 13.3hh highland pony and I dont look big on her at all. Dont listen to them, there are way more cool things you can do on an M&M pony. Do you jump? Get out there and do some workers! honestly there are so many adults on the bigger native breeds. They are probably jealous.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Think they are jealous! ponies are much more fun, I am 22 and I much prefer riding ponies! :) ignore them and have fun with your boy.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Thanks everyone I feel a lot better now xxxx

Complete cr4p you look fine on this very pretty pony. Ignore them - not everyone likes big horses. I myself will never buy anything bigger than 16.1 and I am 5ft8. My first mare was 14.3 and I got teased and i thought stuff them i don't care.

You enjoy your new pony and tell anyone who criticizes them to go take a jump of a short plank.

alainax

Visit site
Ponies are the best. So many think it's cool to have a huge warmblood these days. Im more happy with my 15.3(and 3/4) than I have ever been on a huge horse. I'd love to have a pony, just need to reduce the size of my bum first!

Kafairia

Visit site
I'm 15, 5"3 near 5"4, with a 13.2hh NF X TB pony that I got when I was 9. He was unbroken so did present a few problems but we had a lot of fun together and I still have him nearly 7 years on. We jump around a metre some days, but mostly just hack now. I also have a 16hh TB and I can tell you who I love most. Favouritism shouldn't be allowed but I confess it's happened here. My pony is honestly my soulmate. You look great, go enjoy your pony. Ponies are so much fun and there will be fine for you to have a horse when your ready when your older.

Me and the pony doing 90cm the other day (no pictures - but before this we'd jumped a 1.05m spread.) with my TB in the background. (And yes, I'll confess I cannot do a decent 2-point on a pony for my life haha)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
You and the pony look fine together and I'm sure you will have lots of fun together. I got my 15.3hh arab type Appy because a family had bought her for a 13 year old to grow into and then realised eight months on that she was just too much horse for the girl to deal with. They could have avoided a lot of upset if they had bought the Connie X they ended up with, before they got the Appy (mind you then I might not have got her :) )

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
You look lovely together. He's stunning. Take no notice. I am 5'10 and my horse is only 15.1hh. Yes, I am a bit tall on her, but not too heavy and I don't care what people think about her size.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I am as honest as they come ... which most people on here dont like .... I can hand on heart say you are NOT too big for that pony, you look great together and he is stunning. Tell them to jog on they are just jealous!

rowan666

Visit site
Ignore them! Your clearly not too big, I'm in my 30s, 5"6 and have a 13.3 cob (I also have a 15hh but only really ride my pony lol) ponies are so much more fun then horses and it's not as far to fall! ignore them

rhylis

Visit site
Beautiful pony! You look great on him and in no way too big. I'm 47 and ride a range of ponies from 12.3 to 14.2, occasionally I wonder if it would be good to ride a bigger horse again (my old horse was 16hh). When it comes down to it though I'm only 5ft1 and don't need a big horse!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks everyone I feel a lot better now xxxx

Good, because he looks a really nice sort and you look great together. I bet you will be able to do a lot more with him than your 'friends' can do with their big horses. Just wait until you are all going out competing and your horse brings home more rosettes than theirs.

MagicEquine1

Visit site
Good, because he looks a really nice sort and you look great together. I bet you will be able to do a lot more with him than your 'friends' can do with their big horses. Just wait until you are all going out competing and your horse brings home more rosettes than theirs.
thank you very much, saying that I did win first at the showjumping yesterday- not to brag to them lol ahah thanks again xx

Redders

Visit site
Youngsters can be so keen to get on big horses so early on; by the time you get to older years, you are wise enough to realise that ponies are actually fab little beasts! Nifty, quick, less horse to turn off your leg! My two friends have just downsized to ponies (Connie and a new forest) and they are loving life! Enjoy your D- you look great and are obviously gelling nicely!

rowan666

Visit site
Youngsters can be so keen to get on big horses so early on; by the time you get to older years, you are wise enough to realise that ponies are actually fab little beasts! Nifty, quick, less horse to turn off your leg! My two friends have just downsized to ponies (Connie and a new forest) and they are loving life! Enjoy your D- you look great and are obviously gelling nicely!

^^this is so very true! When I was 12 I was bought a 12.1 Welsh C that I had to break myself and I longed for a bigger horse like all my friends had but as I grew older and got a bigger horse I went back to riding my chunky little Welsh as an adult when I was pregnant with my first because she was as safe as they came (I was at the time only 9 stone at full term) and my son learnt to ride on the same pony! She was very special (Rowan-my user name) I wish I had appreciated her more as kid instead of obsessing over wanting my friends OTTB lol

Elsbells

Visit site
I'm 55 and bought a nice little section D x gelding 14.2, just for the Summer as a project(to much for his owner) he never puts a foot wrong with me and he's the greatest fun and a true friend so he's staying!
Take no notice and enjoy your beautiful and talented pony, they're are only jealous!

Procrastination

Visit site
I've just started following you on Instagram, your pony looks ace! Ignore the neigh-sayers and just focus on you and what you want to do! If you're having a good time that's all that matters and there is no reason you won't be able to do everything on him that your friends are doing on their larger horses