Am I Too Big?

StowfordPress

Visit site
I think this is just me being paranoid but I'd like some reassurance! Currently pony shopping for something to bring on and event up to BE90 and came across the loveliest 14.2hh pony, no breeding in ad but looks like a brp type and very fine built. I'm 18 in just over a month, 5'4 and 7 stone- is this too big? Ive had it drilled into me a bit that adults shouldnt be riding ponies unless they're cobby types. Any success stories of adults competing their ponies would also be appreciated! :)

be positive

Visit site
One of my liveries has mainly competed on ponies, she is now in her 20's, she is taller and heavier than you and none have been cobby until the one she has now, her last was a 14 hand NF who was a little small but still carried her well enough.
I like to see people riding something they fit well rather than moving onto a big horse just because it is seen as the thing to do.

L&M

Visit site
At 5ft 5'' and 10 1/2 stone, I have only ever owned 14.2hh - 15hh's - a l/w welsh sec d, a pure connie and a h/w cob. Weight wise you could easily drop to 13.2hh, although you may feel a little tall.

aajk

Visit site
Weight wise you could ride virtually anything! Might look a bit leggy if it’s so fine but definitely worth trying

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Try looking up some of Hallo2012's posts. That should reassure you. She's a lot taller than you, weighs more than you and her pony us a lot smaller than that.

be positive

Visit site
You will be fine but as you want to event you should check BE rules aboit adults on ponies

Adults can ride ponies, they must be at least 132cm for 80/90 and 142 cm for classes above so a 148 or thereabouts is perfectly acceptable, there are plenty of adults competing BE on ponies at the lower levels and some doing extremely well, a recent Badminton GR winner was an adult on a NF pony.

windand rain

Visit site
You are fine size wise my minor concern would be a riding pony type is very short of bone and may not be robust enough to stand up to the level you want to compete. The pony may well be fine and I am sure there are skinny legged ponies doing it but it just a small worry to me

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
A friend has just bought a 14.2. She is retired - so a lot older than you.

I wish I could fit a 14.2, would be fun and take me back to my pony days!

Buy the pony is my advice. As long as you feel happy to be the adult on the pony, there is no reason not to. Otherwise, get a 15hh one if you think it would bother you in the future.