Am i too heavy? Be brutally honest

AshryOTTB

Visit site
After cancelling viewing for the last horse i've found another that may suit. I was originally looking for a TBx however i have found a lovely looking 5yo TB gelding very light build, for sale. Only issue is he is only 15.2, i'd guess that means he will weigh no more than 500kg(rubbish with guessing weights), my weight does fluctuate but the heaviest i seem to get is 60kg. factoring in 15kg for tack that puts me at exactly 15%, which i understand to be the weight guideline recommended on here. Is this too tight a margin? be brutally honest!

ponynutz

Visit site
15kg is a lot for tack weight unless you do a non-English discipline perhaps? I heard somewhere Western saddles weigh significantly more than English. The calculator I used and others have linked on here defaults a saddle's kg to be 6. Using those measurements the calculator suggests the minimum horse weight you could ride would be 330kg and that most lightweight horses would be fine for you.

60kg is a very healthy weight for most people of average height, I wouldn't imagine you'd be too big at all. (For reference I am 66kg and ride a 15.2hh cobby type easily). I'd go to the viewing without being worried but keep an eye on how horse feels carrying you, some are more sensitive to others and it also depends on your balance in the saddle.

There are some who might think differently on here as I know some feel that 10% is a more accurate weight guideline but even then you're pretty close with real-life measurements.

Here are the calculators:

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
After cancelling viewing for the last horse i've found another that may suit. I was originally looking for a TBx however i have found a lovely looking 5yo TB gelding very light build, for sale. Only issue is he is only 15.2, i'd guess that means he will weigh no more than 500kg(rubbish with guessing weights), my weight does fluctuate but the heaviest i seem to get is 60kg. factoring in 15kg for tack that puts me at exactly 15%, which i understand to be the weight guideline recommended on here. Is this too tight a margin? be brutally honest!
No I’d say thats more than ok. At 15% you have the luxury of a bit of leeway, so even if you’re 16% some days, or 14% other days, he will be absolutely fine. As you say though 60kg is the heaviest you get so that shouldnt be a problem. Not many adults are under 60kg so for that type of horse not many people would suit, if not you then who else, id say if youre set on getting him dont let your weight hold you back.
I used to own a 15.2hh tb and he was weighed at the vets at 476kg, so 60kg + 15 kg (although this is on the high end for tack?) is about 15.7%, which is still perfectly acceptable imo.

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
There are some who might think differently on here as I know some feel that 10% is a more accurate weight guideline but even then you're pretty close with real-life measurements.
I don’t mean you specifically, but people who think 10% is just ridiculous, that means any horse under 15.2hh (500kg) could only be ridden by children, as i doubt there are many adults under 43kg + 7kg for tack, id say 15% is a good general rule to go by with a bit of flexibility

ponynutz

Visit site
I don’t mean you specifically, but people who think 10% is just ridiculous, that means any horse under 15.2hh (500kg) could only be ridden by children, as i doubt there are many adults under 43kg + 7kg for tack, id say 15% is a good general rule to go by with a bit of flexibility

I'm inclined to agree but know it is an opinion I've seen before on here. Interesting debate actually when I saw it!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's very surprising how much clothes weigh. Is your 60kg naked or dressed, and don't forget your boots, hat and whip.

You sound about OK weight wise.

JBM

Visit site
My tb same height as yours was actually 540kg when I got his estimated weight from the tape (based of the clipped photo)
These are his pictures and I weigh about same as you usually around the 56kg mark but that is not clothed
Was a big difference in his weight straight of the track and after he had been with me a few months so keep that in mind too!
Ignore my awful clip was first attempt 😅

Attachments

• D33E0014-A356-4AFF-A2E7-AA907794BB8E.jpeg
    D33E0014-A356-4AFF-A2E7-AA907794BB8E.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2BA24F80-B285-4820-B122-30D1746A73B3.jpeg
    2BA24F80-B285-4820-B122-30D1746A73B3.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 23

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
You sound fine weight wise - the bigger issue is do you match up size wise for saddle fitting - ie. he's probably going to be quite short in the back, will you be comfortable riding in a small enough (probably 17 inch or less) saddle.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
An open 17" seat would actually suit a LOT of people, I fit some very curvy people into that size frequently. Look for a seat shape that allows your leg to drop, supporting your pelvis in a neutral position, and an open seat will be part of this solution. It's a new branch of rider/saddle science, fitting to the pelvis and making sure that weight is transferred down the inner thigh rather than the so often seen slight chair seat which puts all the weight on the seatbones and often doesn't work well for taller riders.

IrishMilo

Visit site
My tb same height as yours was actually 540kg when I got his estimated weight from the tape (based of the clipped photo)
These are his pictures and I weigh about same as you usually around the 56kg mark but that is not clothed
Was a big difference in his weight straight of the track and after he had been with me a few months so keep that in mind too!
Ignore my awful clip was first attempt 😅
What a beauty!

• Love
Reactions: JBM

maya2008

Visit site
I weigh 57kg (9 stone) fully dressed. I had a 15hh TB for many years (from age 4 to retirement) and she never struggled with my weight. She wouldn’t have taken much over 9.5-10 stone based on her reaction when friends rode her, but up to that was absolutely fine. We hacked for hours and hours, showjumped, did dressage, and she used to tell me off if I got off to spell her on long rides. She weighed about 475kg when muscled and in perfect condition. You will be fine with a 15.2hh horse.

Bellalily

Visit site
I weighed 63kg nekked and regularly (weekly) rode and jumped (at home) our TB mare 15.1hh. My pint sized daughter rode her the rest of the time, but we went for short hacks too. Never considered I’d be too heavy for her,

Hepsibah

Visit site
15kg is a lot for tack weight unless you do a non-English discipline perhaps? I heard somewhere Western saddles weigh significantly more than English. The calculator I used and others have linked on here defaults a saddle's kg to be 6. Using those measurements the calculator suggests the minimum horse weight you could ride would be 330kg and that most lightweight horses would be fine for you.

60kg is a very healthy weight for most people of average height, I wouldn't imagine you'd be too big at all. (For reference I am 66kg and ride a 15.2hh cobby type easily). I'd go to the viewing without being worried but keep an eye on how horse feels carrying you, some are more sensitive to others and it also depends on your balance in the saddle.

There are exceptions to this though. Highland ponies should be able to carry 15 stone at slow speeds and 13 at fast speeds.

abbijay

Visit site

Please don't use these calculators! They are utter cr4p. According to them my clydesdale at 5 years old could carry 22stone 10lbs!!! (he weighed 750kg). That would have had him crippled in weeks.
Or if I just put in that he's a 17.2hh draft type he can apparently carry over 30st!!!!
I wish this calculator would be taken down as it is not just incorrect it is dangerously negligent!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Highland ponies should be able to carry 15 stone at slow speeds and 13 at fast speeds.

Yeah, I don't think my 14hh Highland even notices all 8.5st of me. He's a built-like-a-brick-outhouse deer pony type and could easily carry your stag off a mountain (well, he'd probably run fast and far from a dead stag but you know, in theory). My 15hh PRE, on the other hand, is very refined and will only ever carry light riders.

maya2008

Visit site
Yeah, I don't think my 14hh Highland even notices all 8.5st of me. He's a built-like-a-brick-outhouse deer pony type and could easily carry your stag off a mountain (well, he'd probably run fast and far from a dead stag but you know, in theory). My 15hh PRE, on the other hand, is very refined and will only ever carry light riders.

Similar here - all my NF ponies haven’t blinked at adult weight, even slightly heavier adults. My TB was clear that 10 stone was about her limit, and she was both taller and heavier. If you look at build, it’s clear why.