Am I too heavy...

browbrow

Visit site
Lol a fiaba 63kg ain't 9stone4 !!! It's just short of ten stone!

I am 5th 2 and weigh 9.5 stone - my stocky 13.3 carries me all day and night , carries oh who is 13 stone and doesn't flinch but would expect my pal to carry that all the time.

Your clearly worried - I had a 13.1 welsh before and worried about my weight on her and was 9.2 at time - it ruined the partnership in end as I was always left feeling guilty and sold her to a family.

I would ride down to 12h but certainly wouldn't buy one so small

My would be ok with 13.2 but only just - would aim for more 14.2 plus :)

bexcy-bee

Visit site
I try not to be contentious, however this 'rule' is completely wrong and dangerous. Would you put a 12 stone man on a 12hh pony? There is a formula chart for working out the weight a horse / pony can carry. I will post it tomorrow when Im at the yard. It depends on the size of the pony, age and fitness.

I completely agree that age and fitness come into the equasion.

However, there was a very similar thread on here previously, where the owner/rider had contacted the breeder, who stated NF's can carry a stone to a hand. As I said, there are classes at county level for stone and hand equal, if this was 'cruel' as you insinuated in your post, then these would not be able to run.

As I said above, yes age, weight fitness etc comes into it, but the rule of thumb with NF ponies, is a stone per hand, after all, there were bred to carried farmers ;)

bexcy-bee x

Weezy

Visit site
OP - you are absolutely fine to ride the pony. I regularly take a 14.2hh Welsh Sec D out hunting, I am 5ft10.5 and weigh over 11 stone - I haven't killed him yet ;) NFs are everso hardy!

trundle

Visit site
My freind has ruiend her horses back and it is a 14.2 pony and she is only 9 stone or less. And I was stoped from getting a 14.2 jumping pony and I am 10 stone.

What utter horse*****. There are lots of ways to ruin a pony's back, but a 9 stone rider won't squash a 14.2 pony, even if it is the finest of the fine. Do you really and truly think that a 10 stone rider shouldn't ride a 14.2 pony?

God only knows how Geoff Billington manages not to crush every horse he gets on!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I too am surprised people think you are too heavy?? Mind you lots of people rug their horses up in 20C because it's raining lol.

You would be surprised what a porky 10 yr old would weigh, my daughter is 10 and 1.4 meters tall, and a stick insect and weighs 5 stone 6... i bet ppl wouldn't blink twice at a porky short arsed kid riding as 13.2! and probably weighing the same as you!!!

trundle

Visit site
Oh, and i think some people round here don't know what a stone is and how it relates to a kilogram. 63 kgs is 139 pounds, which is 9 stone 13 lb - one pound under ten stone.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Gotta love a "am I too heavy thread".....

I imagine if you had posted a pic of you on said pony, many more of the responses would have been "you look grand- if a little tall", especially if you did not mention your weight.

If a 9 stone rider ruined her ponies back then that has naff all to do with her weight and speaks volumes about her as a rider......

There was a thread on this not so long back where the utterly gorgeous "fat lad" was shown to be built like a small tank and perfectly capable of carrying his dad for hours (snack breaks allowing).

People have become so precious about horses these days, fearing they will break, or melt in the rain/sun/wind/snow.......

ljpinkhorse

Visit site
Ohhh just googled it again , I actually weigh 63.8kg which comes out as 10.0467802 stone but i mis-read it as 10.4 stone .. So I am a little lighter than I thought in original post.

Thanks for the replys everyone , I'm going to try him and see if it feels okay..may take pictures If I get the chance ?

madeleine1

Visit site
it totally depends on the build and conformation of the horse as i rode a 14.2 when i was 16 stone and he was more then fine. he was build like a small truck and was very square and correctly built. he had all the nessasery checks and i wasnt doing him any demage. i did only ride him for 30 mins schooling twice a week and a smaller rider rode him the rest of the time. however i would never dream of putting my big bum on a tb 14.2 so 10.04 could be light for the 13.3 or far to much. assuming the pony if the weight it should be tho i would go by the 20% measure as the 14.2 i rode was 500kg and id have said he was just slightly on the skinny side

Batgirl

Visit site
it totally depends on the build and conformation of the horse as i rode a 14.2 when i was 16 stone and he was more then fine. he was build like a small truck and was very square and correctly built. he had all the nessasery checks and i wasnt doing him any demage. i did only ride him for 30 mins schooling twice a week and a smaller rider rode him the rest of the time. however i would never dream of putting my big bum on a tb 14.2 so 10.04 could be light for the 13.3 or far to much. assuming the pony if the weight it should be tho i would go by the 20% measure as the 14.2 i rode was 500kg and id have said he was just slightly on the skinny side

I have ridden a 14.3 at 16 st, he was my first horse, had his back checked regularly and he had no problems (I hunted, jumped and everything else I needed to learn), however there are 16h horses that I wouldn't get on.

I think there is too many things to take into consideration for a properly balanced answer on this, I think you should try him, see how he feels to you and how he rides.

Suzie86

Visit site
It always surprises me how many people on here on various posts imply that 10 stone is heavy!!! Example being this kind of post and also ones talking about weight limits for sharers or loaners! I'm 10 stone at 5ft5 ish and a size 10. I have 2 ponies, one being a finely built 13,2 new forest!!!! Clearly I should be on a clydesdale or similar!

kees

New User
Visit site
Oh, and i think some people round here don't know what a stone is and how it relates to a kilogram. 63 kgs is 139 pounds, which is 9 stone 13 lb - one pound under ten stone.

That is correct. I would recommend a site like convertking.net. I find this a great site for fast and easy conversion of all annoying differences between measurement units.

Ammeretto

New User
Visit site
Without being offensive, you could be a little on the heavy side, but saying that, you can adapt your riding to compensate this and therefore you would be fine I think! Just bare in mind little things like not sitting too deep and not sinking your weight onto his back, and over jumps, remaining very still so that your weight doesn't disrupt his balance and little things like that! Also be careful that if your leg swings forwards, that you don't niggle at the upper part of his forelegs, and then that if your leg swing back, it doesnt niggle further up which may make him react by bucking etc, but to be honest, it's completely your decision and if the pony is fit, well-muscled and happy in his work, then there's not a problem!! :') xxxx

Tickles

Visit site
... in a word, yes. You are too heavy.

If you want pony to have great long term health you don't put riders on it close to the max it can carry without buckling. What was done in the past (when adults were generally smaller and lighter anyway) is by-the-by. Assuming you care abt long-term future of pony (more likely these days) get it a lighter rider.

PC Steele

Visit site
You would be completely fine [=

The rule is 1stone to 1hh

I am about the same weight as you, and used to ride a 13.2hh new forest, who would take me round open XC courses, and 1m10 sjing.

As long as you are a light rider, you will be completely fine [=

bexcy-bee x

1 stone to 1hh :D Hilarious A pony who measures 4 inches ridden by a 1 stone baby it woud squash the pony flat:eek: Laughing so much my eyes are leaking now:D

Tinypony

Visit site
I haven't read all the other pages Op, but on my sturdy NF type you'd be absolutely fine. The pony soon tells you if they are finding it a bit much. Mine's built like a brick s h i t house and would steam along as if you weren't even there. I'm 9.5 stone and ride her regularly, and I'm perfectly happy with my friend on her, who must be about 12 stone.
(Shock horrror!).