Am I too heavy?

Billyboo

Visit site
My neighbours got a 5yr old connie welsh cross wasting in the paddock. She really wants him to be broken and get the attention he deserves but she hasn't got the time and she's too heavy. So she asked if I wanted him. I thought my pony riding days were long gone but she told me I wasn't too heavy. He's 14 hands and medium build, nice thick legs. He would probably weigh about 55-66 stone and I weigh 7.4 stones and my saddle weighs about 11 pounds. So what do you guys think? He would be my full time mount and I want honest opinions because I don't want to hurt the poor little guy. I am 5 foot 6 too but I don't mind looking silly. Pictures of riders similar height/weight would be awesome!!:D:D:D:D:D

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Sorry, do you mean the pony is 55-66 stone? Either way he'd barely notice you at that lightweight!! I'm 5'6", ride a 14h and heavier than you. Go and have fun. It's too late for me to play with pics at this time in the morning. :D

Billyboo

Visit site
I never used to be this thin... when I was a teen, I was a tubby little thing lol. When I hit 17 I grew 3 inches and my metabolism sped up - so much so that people frequently told me to see someone about my anorexia!!!! When you think about it though, you see 100kg men on 14.2 quarter horses (technically still ponies), and he's only a little slighter the a QH. But I still worry.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I think I need to go and lie down in a darkened room! Kilos, stones, and pounds (and hands, feet, and inches!) all in the same thread of only four posts at this time of the morning! :D

Sounds fine to me, anyway, there are a heap of things you can do before getting on the pony. Desensitising, lunging, long reining...and IF you were too heavy (sorry, I got lost along the way but I don't think you are), you can probably get a smaller rider from somewhere. There are a lot of eager youngsters out there who love playing with ponies.