Am I too old to start riding (44)

luckyoldme

Visit site
no you are not, you are a spring chicken!
At the age of 50 I took up mountain biking , road biking and running. I got quite a few comments and raised eyebrows.
Then ironically I was walking along a pavement and a tree fell on me breaking my ankle
I'm back out on the bikes now and working my way back to running again
I'm staying away from pavements because I'm too old from them and they are dangerous.
Get back on a horse and live the one life you have got .

LittleBlueBird

Visit site
So my first back in the saddle lesson is on Friday eek! I’m nervous and excited.

I would wear my Ariat Windermeres but they are absolutely knackered from yard work.

What boots are comfy and will be suitable for schooling and eventually hacking?
Thank you all so much for the lovely positive comments I feel much more confident now.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I remember how nervous and excited I was! Didn’t have anything suitable so had to hire a pair of jodhpur boots from the RS, not pleasant but needs must.. quickly bought Shires jodhpur boots and soon after Ariat long boots, think they are Bromont but I’m abroad so can’t check, 6 years old now and have been brilliant.
Wishing you a super lesson and really looking forward to your report ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Good luck with your lessons!

I started back at a RS in Feb this year. I wear Ariat short boots, Tredstep half chaps and I also, being old and windy, invested in a new body protector which I wear in all my lessons.

Your riding hat should be approved to a current standard. My RS has loan hats for clients, but none are big enough for my big head!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
So my first back in the saddle lesson is on Friday eek! I’m nervous and excited.

I would wear my Ariat Windermeres but they are absolutely knackered from yard work.

What boots are comfy and will be suitable for schooling and eventually hacking?
Thank you all so much for the lovely positive comments I feel much more confident now.

I have been wearing Clark's Broyd Mid boots for the past few years, when I want jodhpur type boots.

Most of the time I wear long boots: in wet weather a pair of €12 Decathlon rubber boots (I also have a pair of German rubber boots, but forget the brand), in better weather either Tucci or Soubirac.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
You absolutely will not look like an idiot! But a private lesson is probably a good idea as groups for adults are few and far between! If you work too its not always easy finding a group time that will work for you, weekends tend to be kids lessons. Make sure your riding hat is up to current standards (although all good schools will have some you can borrow) and have fun!

LittleBlueBird

Visit site
I did it!! I loved my lesson, poor horse though I really do have to get my self together. Good posture but kept forgetting not to hold the reins too tightly and put my heels down. Kept allowing him to drift but I did manage a few canters and finally the last one felt good. So pleased I went, felt more confident than I anticipated. Did feel like I was going to fall off in canter at some points though. So much to remember, I’ve forgotten loads. You have all been so kind thank you so much!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did it!! I loved my lesson, poor horse though I really do have to get my self together. Good posture but kept forgetting not to hold the reins too tightly and put my heels down. Kept allowing him to drift but I did manage a few canters and finally the last one felt good. So pleased I went, felt more confident than I anticipated. Did feel like I was going to fall off in canter at some points though. So much to remember, I’ve forgotten loads. You have all been so kind thank you so much!

It sounds like a very busy first lesson after a looooong break!

So glad you enjoyed it.

Skib

sites.google.com
and put my heels down.
I was an adult in riding lessons. I have since discovered that it is a good thing to know who your teacher is.
A young, inexperienced teacher is often assigned to beginners and they may well recite the instructions given in the BHS course book. Particularly putting your heels down.
Putting your heels down is a means to an end. RIs dont want kids' feet to slip forward through the stirrups and get caught. So it is good training to keep the tread of the stirrup on the ball of ones foot. And in forward seat it is great to have the weight in one's heels.
But in most riding, heels down is counter productive. Weighting your heels so you are pressing on the stirrups, lifts your seat out of the saddle, reducing the feel contact with the horse. Our RI teaches people to relax their ankles and feet, including their toes inside the boot. No experienced RI has ever told me to keep my heels down.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Just met a new livery..she had her first riding lesson aged 60..she’s now 68 and has a coloured cob mare as her first pony…definitely never too old.

frazzled

Visit site
Go for it. Definitely not too old.
I rode as a child but stopped at 18 . Had ponies / horses for my children but never seemed to have anything suitable for me. When kids gave up realised it was my time and took up polo aged 48 having barely sat on a horse for 20+ years. I will never be particularly competitive but I love it passionately.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you feel confident then give it a go. Try riding a friends horse or have some lessons at a riding school & if you do well then set about buying yourself a nice horse. My wife is 65 yrs old & she schools our horses in the arena, she hacks out, most of the time on her own. She ewven does a bit of jumping over about 2 feet. She thoroughly enjoys herself and has done for years. Go for it girl, you'll end up filling your day with horsey stuff.

LittleBlueBird

Visit site
2nd lesson today, loved it! Spent more time feeling the horse today. Sitting trot, rising trot and standing in trot. Stirrups in canter no stirrups in canter. Loved every single minute of it. Felt that today I was less tense and more in sync which is much better for the lovely horse I rode.

I cannot wait to get my own happy hacker and continue lessons etc. I’m so happy I’ve done this!

oldjumper

Visit site
I rode 20 odd years ago but after an accident lost all my confidence and haven’t ridden since. I have had rescues and non ridden so still with my four legged family but not in the saddle.

Suddenly I feel I’d like to begin riding again but will class myself as a beginner (a very nervous when in the saddle beginner)

Will a riding school think I’m an idiot for starting again at my age? It seems geared towards youngsters and pony club. I’ve never felt to old!

I’m fit, healthy and perhaps at some point would enjoy having a ridden horse of my own. Should I go for it?
No! You’re ridiculously young….
Good pal started riding in mid 50s and still riding daily in late 70s. Best way to stay young and healthy (and very happy) ? Any good riding school shoul accommodate you - or just join in with kids and release your inner child! Enjoy

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
2nd lesson today, loved it! Spent more time feeling the horse today. Sitting trot, rising trot and standing in trot. Stirrups in canter no stirrups in canter. Loved every single minute of it. Felt that today I was less tense and more in sync which is much better for the lovely horse I rode.

I cannot wait to get my own happy hacker and continue lessons etc. I’m so happy I’ve done this!

Sounds like you have chosen a good place to learn!

Hexx

Visit site
Definitely Not too old!

We had a lady of 82 who started to ride at the riding school - her aim was to be able to canter on a hack. We got her to that stage, had a brilliant hack with her and then she was off to do sky-diving!

JBM

Visit site
My riding school does lessons specifically for adults usually during the week! Never to late ☺️