Am I unusual? Trailer servicing??

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I'm looking for a decent 2nd hand trailer that my poor much beloved ID x can travel in comfortably. He's quite 'long' so gets a bit squished in his current trailer. So thinking Equitrek Space L or Richardson Supreme Ultra.

Firstly I must admit I am OCD about my trailers. I've owned a couple (Cheval, Ifor and Bateson) and they've always been datatagged, serviced, cleaned, repairs done when needed and tyres changed after about 5 years even if they look 'brand new'. I don't use the trailer every week - maybe once a month, occasionally twice - mainly in the summer.

I've now seen a few trailers for sale and when I ask questions like 'has it been serviced' I usually get a response along the lines of oh it got looked at once by a random person a few years who said it didn't need anything done. I wouldn't mind if it was the odd trailer but it seems to be every trailer I enquire about.

I'm obviously weird.

ihatework

Visit site
Well I’m weird to then.
Every year a full service and safety check.

I wouldn’t contemplate buying a second hand trailer that didn’t come with a service history.

HeyMich

Visit site
I have an EquiTrek Space Trekka (not L) and my 16.2 IDx fits in it well, with plenty of space for her IDx bum (for scale she's in 6'6 or 6'9 rugs). Highly recommended!

And no, when I asked about servicing etc, I got the same answers. And I didn't buy anything with dubious servicing history for that precise reason! Both of us in the same weirdness category then...

MuddyTB

Visit site
Mine never had service history, OH serviced the brakes at the start of each season and he used to be a mechanic so I was more than happy with that but I can see why someone may not trust that. Having said that mine was the only trailer on our yard, (5 of them all Ifors), that even got looked at. It is quite scary.

lottiepony

Visit site
I think a lot of people have a very wrong mentality when it comes to trailers and servicing! Just because it doesn't have an engine doesn't mean it doesn't need a regular service!!!

No way in hell would I ever put my horses in anything that hadn't been properly maintained. In fact mine has just been done all ready to go for the year. It's a 2002 Ifor Williams 510 and still looks fantastic thanks to proper care!!

Tarragon

Visit site
I am with you on this one. I get my trailer serviced each year for my own peace of mind. I cannot bear to think of the consequences!

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Thank god its not just me then! Just seen a trailer advertised that is the exact model I'd like and in the photos it looks perfect, age 2006, but its never been serviced and the tyres have never been changed... Sigh.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
When I was looking at buying a second hand trailer, I was planning on a full service and everything changed that needed to be. I wouldn't view it as a major issue if it hasn't been serviced to date but would expect the price to reflect the work that may be needed to put it right and before I'd allow my horse to step foot in it!! Mind you, I'd do that if buying second hand anyway unless it had a very recently completed service that I was happy to believe.

Shay

Visit site
I service regularly too - but as with lottiepony no-one else on yard seems to. The lack of recent service on a second hand trailer woudn't worry me in and of itself - but purchase would have to be depednant on a service outcome. A sort of "vetting" I suppose!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I've sold mine today. Hasn't been serviced (or actually used much) in the past couple of years, although I used to do it regularly, and I was totally open and upfront about that. When the chap came to view it I had it out in the open with plenty of space round it and said there you go, have as hard a look and poke at it as you want, and I pointed out a couple of (very minor) bits of damage on it. He paid the full asking price and he's got a bargain.

Given that a service often misses critical details, I wouldn't set too much store by a service history - I'd carry out a careful examination of the trailer and expect to get it serviced myself after purchase.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
I service regularly too - but as with lottiepony no-one else on yard seems to. The lack of recent service on a second hand trailer woudn't worry me in and of itself - but purchase would have to be depednant on a service outcome. A sort of "vetting" I suppose!

As a purchaser Id be happy with that. I'd then get it serviced myself. I do get mine regularly done but that is for my peace of mind and my horse's safety. Not for reselling purposes

kinnygirl1

Visit site
I get mine serviced yearly ... they check the floor, panels brakes and electrics And other parts for safety as part of the service which gives me peace of mind. My horse gets into that little tin box on wheels for me trustingly every time I ask him... The least I can do is make sure it's as safe as possible for him. That's how I see it anyway.

Morag4

Visit site
I have a Richardson Supreme Ultra that my Clydesdale travels in very comfortably (he's in 7'3" rugs). My hubby services our trailers, this includes checking floors, brakes, breakaway cable, wear on hitch etc. Tyres are changed when required either by age or wear. Get someone to do a pre purchase check if youa. Unsure of its care history.

alexomahony

Visit site
I am very lucky and have a mechanic (MOT Tester) and joiner for a Dad who is very up on safety and he does very regular checks and repairs on my trailers and cars (about once a month!)

My old trailer wasn't serviced too often because of this, but I've just bought a Bateson and this will be getting a service in May and each year afterwards as Dad is unfamiliar with the rot-proof plastic flooring they use. Like Kinnygirl1 says - they trust us to get in these boxes - it's important to keep them super safe.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Do people not check their own trailers? I have a good poke around mine every couple of months and get the brakes/lights serviced as needed. If you're buying a trailer you can always have it serviced and change the tyres if they need it. Lack of a service history certainly wouldn't put me off buying one.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Full service every year, I even have a service book for mine the old owner kept up to date and I've followed. Its a 506, 9 years old now but in good nick. A friends horses leg went through the floor of his trailer last year, it was never serviced, had a wooden floor and he didn't check the floor before then took him out in it after winter!? He only travels his in Rice trailers, previously said I'm mad using a 506 as its aluminium and not as safe?!! Lucky the horse is fine, but this kinda thing scares me to death.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine is 14 years old. It's been serviced every year since I bought it from new and is on its 2nd set of tyres which will be replaced at the next service. Tyres are designed to last 7 years maximum and have an expiry date on them. My trailer servicing man also does sales and rentals and has asked for first refusal on mine if I ever sell it as he know how well looked after it is. I also check the floor, sides (IW trailers have a reputation for rearmost side panels going soft at the the bottom) and do the tyre pressures at least once a month.