Am i wrong to sell?

cob1

Visit site
Since deciding to sell my cob, to get a been there done that (possibly dressage) schoolmaster, a few peeps have questioned my actions saying that i should just school my 7 yr old cob to this level.

However, i do not have the experience, hence wanting a schoolmaster (not necessarily to a high level at all). Also he is just too much for me at a show - bless him it blows his little mind. I am now ready for local shows (but the cob isnt with me) and therefore to suite me i would like to change horses.

I get 3 lessons a week and he is on schooling livery at the moment, so it is not an issue with 'send him away or get an instructor'. He is a star at home, but i do have fragile confidence, that is easily lost.

Is it wrong of me to want to maximise my enjoyment?

I have done everything i can to help get the cob as well schooled, and my friend has took him to numerous shows (i pay of course) to try and get him more chilled, and i know cobs take longer to mature. But, long term i cant really see a future for us as a team.

He is a fab horse, but now losing alot of weight i want a medium weight TB X or the like, which i could never get before. I think he needs a RC home that can XC and SJ him, as i doubt i will ever be jumping well enough to do this and he loves it! Does it make me a heartless cow that some are making out?
frown.gif

Biccies if youve got this far.

Scribbles

Visit site
You do what you want, it's your money, and your hobby!

Some people like to mod their cars, other people just buy a better one, esdpecially if they don't know how to! Some people enjoy a new house in need of DIY, others don't know a hammer from a screwdriver, and just buy the home they want.

x

justjoules

Visit site
Absolutely not! I think it is more difficult to reach these decisions and admit that he is not for you than to plough on and ultimately make yourself unhappy. Horses are meant to provide us with enjoyment but it sounds like the situation is getting you down.

It sounds like you have tried everything possible but if it isnt meant to be it isnt meant to be. There will be the perfect horse for you out there somewhere
smile.gif

floradora09

Visit site
I think that you should sell if you can't really see a future together, some people may just think you're selling because you "can't be bothered" to school him, which may be what it looks like to them. Personally I don't think you're "in the wrong" to sell him, because you seem to want something thats been about a little more, and I'm sure there's someone out there who is looking for something exactly like him! =D

cob1

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the support!

I had never thought about it like that. He is such a star, it was hard enough making the decision without people interfering x

ginginandtonic

Visit site
Do what you want and don't pay any intention to busy-bodies. It's really no-one elses business... even if you were doing it because you can't be bothered to school current pony (which you are not) it's still no-one elses business. As far as I'm concerned as long as peoples horses (and pets in general actually) are healthy, safe and cared for, people can do whatever they like with them. I don't know why more people aren't like that really... surely folk have got enough to do with their own animals to give a toss about what other people are doing with theirs...

.. oops.. I ranted a little there!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

miss_c

Visit site
You sound like you have made your decision, and your reasons for coming to this hard decision are all very sound. At the end of the day riding is your hobby and you want to enjoy it!

Beanyowner

Visit site
I think your one of the sensible ones...if your cob isn't right for you and you feel you can part with him then yes, sell him on and buy what you want. Liek someone else said...its your money, your time, effort, sweat and tears so just do what you feel is best for you
smile.gif

Lollii

Visit site
You are doing the right thing, you reached you goal of losing the weight (previous post) and now you want to move on with your riding - go for it!

You should also post another 'how much' with your pics now that you have them, I don't think a lot of people saw them?

x

cob1

Visit site
Thanks Hermangerman!

Ive put post up with pics of the lad for anyones input on price (have already put a few ads about).

badgerdog

Visit site
If you feel that he isn't the one for you, you are making the right decision. Horses cost too much in time and money not to have the right one. He sounds like a lovely horse and he'll be the perfect partner for someone.
Good luck in selling him to a good home and I hope you find the one who is 'just right' for you.

eahotson

Visit site
You are quite right to sell.I recently sold a much loved little Highland because he was way too sharp and spooky for me.Found him a lovely home and now have a much more suitable horse for me.No amount of schooling by me or anyone else was going to make my little Highland suitable for me.

smirnoff_ice07

Visit site
No i don't think you are wrong to sell him, you will get to the point where you resent him for not being able to do what you want which isn't fair on either of you. It's much harder to admit something isn't working than to carry on i think and especially if keeping him is going to wreck your confidence then you are right to sell him.