Am I wrong..??

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
My 5 year old IDx was restarted last summer, the trainer did some jumping with him and dchooling...hacking out etc (he had him for a month). He was said to be showing real promise with his jumping and trainer was impressed (sire is a Grade A showjumper, dam RID).
Anyhow I had been doing some hacking out with him as he can be nervous around large vehicles (we dont have a school, horses lives out 24/7). Then took a nasty fall from him which meant I couldnt ride for 8 weeks.
Decided to give him the winter off. Fast forward to spring. Decide to bring him back into light work so do the requisite teeth/back/saddle procedues..all good.
I have just been hacking him out for short periods a couple of times a week, nothing heavy and mainly at a walk to get his confidence (and mine) back up. We are doing well. And next week Im starting some flat work lessons on him. Im not an expert rider and horse is unfit, needs muscle and very green.
Im in no rush as he is s sturdy boy and I feel still has another inch or two to grow.
BUT I keep being told Im wasting him, he is too good for me, I should sell him, he should have done lots more by now blah blah blah.
I will NOT be selling him...even if I never rode him again...he is a horse and doesnt give a toss about potential. He is my friend, its unthinkable. I feel for both of our confidence levels and his age and size that Im happy to do it slowly and properly....or am I wrong...??? I would very much appreciare advice as Im now losing confidence in my own judgement with this horse :(

Chocolate cake, cookies and Baileys to anyone who read it all....!!!!! :eek:

tessybear

Visit site
My 5 year old IDx was restarted last summer, the trainer did some jumping with him and dchooling...hacking out etc (he had him for a month). He was said to be showing real promise with his jumping and trainer was impressed (sire is a Grade A showjumper, dam RID).
Anyhow I had been doing some hacking out with him as he can be nervous around large vehicles (we dont have a school, horses lives out 24/7). Then took a nasty fall from him which meant I couldnt ride for 8 weeks.
Decided to give him the winter off. Fast forward to spring. Decide to bring him back into light work so do the requisite teeth/back/saddle procedues..all good.
I have just been hacking him out for short periods a couple of times a week, nothing heavy and mainly at a walk to get his confidence (and mine) back up. We are doing well. And next week Im starting some flat work lessons on him. Im not an expert rider and horse is unfit, needs muscle and very green.
Im in no rush as he is s sturdy boy and I feel still has another inch or two to grow.
BUT I keep being told Im wasting him, he is too good for me, I should sell him, he should have done lots more by now blah blah blah.
I will NOT be selling him...even if I never rode him again...he is a horse and doesnt give a toss about potential. He is my friend, its unthinkable. I feel for both of our confidence levels and his age and size that Im happy to do it slowly and properly....or am I wrong...??? I would very much appreciare advice as Im now losing confidence in my own judgement with this horse :(

Chocolate cake, cookies and Baileys to anyone who read it all....!!!!! :eek:

Is he fed? Is he cared for ? Is he happy ?

Horses dont wake up and think " oh i hate it here i could be busting my balls jumping at the olympics because my dad was a grade A"

Ignore them, or just tell them your both training for the Olympics ;)

Regarding take things slow - defo go at your own pace you haven't got a time limit

ellie11987

Visit site
As long as he is cared for that is all that matter! how is he going to know the differance? he's probably having the time of his life :cool: just tell them to butt out

[100323]

Visit site
There is nothing wrong in taking your time, you intend to have him a long time, so you have all the time in the world. Why rush. Your horse, your way. Ignore the negative comments and enjoy your horse your way.

Chunkie

Visit site
I'm in a similar position, I have a 5yo with a couple of years of growing yet who is both physically and mentally immature at the moment. I keep being told I should be doing this that and the other with him, but what's the rush? I'd rather take things at a pace to suit us both so that we develop our relationship and our understanding of each other properly.

Each horse is an individual just as every human is. Do what you want to do in your own time and only when you feel comfortable with it.

Lolo

Visit site
Is he fed? Is he cared for ? Is he happy ?

Horses dont wake up and think " oh i hate it here i could be busting my balls jumping at the olympics because my dad was a grade A"

Ignore them, or just tell them your both training for the Olympics ;)

Regarding take things slow - defo go at your own pace you haven't got a time limit

Bahaha! Tessybear nail on head :D

My sister's 'top' (eek, he's top because there's one other who's been XC once before, so Reg wins by default ;)) horse adores his XC and competing. He loves going out to parties and showing off. He's very talented and has a lot to offer.

Do you know when he's definitely at his happiest? When he's mooching out hacking with Al crooming at him and having a lovely, slop-along time :) Sure he loves his 'proper' work, but it pales in comparison to slobbing along and having lots of cuddles and kisses!

showpony

Visit site
Totally agree with amymay - I experienced this with people last year.
One thing from day one my instructor said is it is a marathon NOT a sprint with a young horse. Its much better to take things slow rather that over work them young - every risk they will become stale..

Tell whoever is saying this to you to bog off and mind their own blimmin business.

MissSBird

Visit site
I have a connie I've been told could have gone to high, maybe even top levels, as a working hunter. This season I have totally quit competing. We're both far happier for it. I'm more chilled, he's more up for his work when he does it.

What you do with your horse is quite frankly your own business. As long as his needs are being met, he'll be happy. And, contary to many opinions, owning a horse is not about winning a pretty rosette. That can be an added bonus if you want to, but we do this for the love of our horses and our own enjoyment. The health and happiness of horse and rider are the only thing that we must be concerned about. :)

It sounds like both you and the horse are healthy, and you and the horse are happy. Goals achieved! Tell them to get lost and keep going as you are. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
It's good to take things slow - what a caring owner you are. So many want their horses to be at a certain level at a certain age - it's madness; for me its' 'horses for courses' and we are all individual and do things how we see fit and right.

I completely agree with the 'slow' approach. I take mine slowly too - I want them for life and I want them happy mentally and sound and allowed to mature without pressure. I have an IDX 4 yr old mare with good jump breeding. She is at the moment being long reined and worked in hand. She will go for breaking/schooling at the end of this months for 4-6 weeks. It will be baby steps from there and see how she goes and what suits her.

My 3 yr old is happily roaming on 4 acres with a little halter work.

I have a 17hh WB that was ruined ridden at 3 & 4 years old. I have given him 2 years off - he is 8 now and 'ready' again. Don't let anyone dictate or pressure you.

cblover

Visit site
You are absolutely doing the right thing and I applaud you! This is exactly how I intend to develop my relationship with my young horse (he's still only 2) and I will not be rushed. He's a clyde x cob with a lot of growing left to do and he's personality is telling me to take things slow as he's not that good at learning lots of things at once. Bit like me! lol

I get people all the time asking if I've sat on him yet and if not, why not! Because he is coloured they assume he should of been 'broken' (horrible word!) to the shafts at 18 month old and be driven for miles by now.....I dispair with them and yet I still find myself trying to educate them and justify my actions to them.

Enjoy the journey, not just the destination. Good luck with him, enjoy every minute.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Having just experienced a talented WB having to retire at only 12 years old with all kinds of conditions caused by wear and tear and being pushed from a very young age, I would tell them to bog off!

webble

Visit site
It always makes me laugh when I see ads with comments like the horse is wasted. As you say horses aren't bothered. He would probably be just as happy going for a 20 min walk twice a week for the rest of his life if thats what you want to do

Enjoy him do what feels right for you

Jools2345

Visit site
my 6 yr old has only been fully backed this last 4 months (at rising 6), we had our first schooling session (15mins walk and trot) this week and am just starting to think about lessons. her canter is horrendous but we have only just started doing the odd one out on hacks-it will all come right with time as will yours and hopefully they will have a longer working life due to less stress and strain on young joints and brains.

i agree tell them to 'mind your own'

Spudlet

Visit site

I think my answer to that would be 'Yeah, I know. It's brilliant, isn't it?', give them a big grin, and walk away. They'll be so shocked they won't know what to say;)

If you get defensive they'll just keep on about it, while if you just laugh at them they're far more likely to give it up!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
It always makes me laugh when I see ads with comments like the horse is wasted. As you say horses aren't bothered. He would probably be just as happy going for a 20 min walk twice a week for the rest of his life if thats what you want to do

Enjoy him do what feels right for you

Wheneever I see an ad saying the horse is wasted in current home I take that as the horse is a handful!

GeorgeyGal

Visit site
I'm always getting asked when I'm going to back my 2 yr old! I just say when I feel she is mentally and physically mature enough, there's no time limits. Sounds like you have his best interests at heart and you are setting him up the right way for the future.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Having just experienced a talented WB having to retire at only 12 years old with all kinds of conditions caused by wear and tear and being pushed from a very young age, I would tell them to bog off!

Jump him to a reasonable standard at 5 and I can guarantee you will be injecting his hocks by the time he is 7. The people making these comments are simply jealous that you have a well bred horse with potential. Yes he could go a very long way but if he doesn't is the Earth going to stop spinning and fall off its axis? History is full of good horses with huge potential that never made it because they were overtaxed and went sour, or broke down (racing anyone?) because they weren't physically up to what was being asked of them. I used to enjoy taking my girl to local riding club shows and doing a variety of classes with her. She had no major talent apart from extremely rapid acceleration and the ability to gallop for forever and a day. It was a fun day out, we usually came home with rosette or two and even if we were last, I knew I had the lovliest horse on the entire showground and if the judge couldn't see that, well more fool him! I actually feel sorry for people who just see horses as a nothing more than a tool and a way to be first because they are missing out on the most important part of horse ownership and that is the bond you develop with them. Even after my girl was retired I was happy to carry on just caring for her, just being with her. After nearly 18 years together I found her as fascinating to sit and watch as the day I bought her. The jealous people can just do one. Stick your earphones in and ignore them. Chances are they will switch their attention from you when a new livery arrives. They are sad wasters who live in fantasy land.

Tinsel Town

Visit site

this exactly! my horse is grade B, very talented and well schooled, and well bred (you will see some of his siblings with our top British eventers) but he was pushed too young (1.20m tracks at 6) and lots of them! and now lives the quieter life with me as hes got wear and tear condition in his front feet, bless him :(

just because a horse is talented shouldn't mean they are pushed the top, everyone has the right to own a superstar and do what they feel they would like to with them! tell them to go away and leave you alone, you continue doing what you feel is right for him and you!! :)

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
He's your horse you do what you want to do with him .
I get this a bit because I don't complete any more .
I have a very nice Tb , I having great time training him going to good trainers etc etc he may complete at some point but it will be when it suits me not anyone esle.
He's seven and if on the classic competition horse pathway he should be out at BE every other weekend . At the end of the winter I got all fired up and was taking him to a pro to be ridden etc then the pro got busy and I got sidetracked .
I know some people think I have more money than sense but I am doing what I want and having a great time .
However it's a different thing if you start with a young horse and as it develops it does not suit you or the job you want him to do, sometimes then it's better to let them go and get something that suits .

Kenzo

Visit site
And breath...

Echo Amymay

There is no rush to anything competitive wise, so long as the basics are established... ie backed, ground work, manners, light schooling and hacking etc besides think if it another way, big horses that are slow to mature are better off doing more later than too soon, as it can stir up potential problems later in the horses working life.

Do your own thing, enjoy your horse and answer to no one :)

w1bbler

Visit site
I'd much rather be saying "could have got there much faster" than "wish I hadn't rushed it". Taking steps back is hard. Enjoy what you & your horse want to do & s*d anyone else, its nothing to do with them & as others have said, horse only cares its being looked after, not about its potential career.

Moomin1

Visit site
Urgh tell them to do one!

I had some people who were on our yard a while back continuously insinuate strongly that I was doing wrong by my horse because she should be out competing/showjumping/eventing etc etc.

My mare couldn't give two hoots whether she is ridden/competed or not - she would rather be in the field munching and having an easy life! :rolleyes:

OP just ignore them and carry on doing what YOU want to do. :)

sue12345

Visit site
Filling up reading these replies because in a way the origional post could have been me writing. No body has said any thing to me but i feel thats what they are thinking, because my confidence is zero i only ride once in a blue moon. But my horses are my joy and could not be better looked after or loved. My horses my bussiness.

zandp

Visit site
Growth plates only really stabilise at the age of 6 for most horses so I wouldn't worry.

I've had the same attitude for ages, I have a 6 year old who's not completely backed yet. I did back her when she was about 4 but came off and couldn't ride anything for a while - injured my cocyx. She was turned away, the next year she was lightly backed and then turned away again. We're doing it all again very slowly this year.

I think the worst comment was from a now ex farrier - is she retarded ? Why aren't you out jumping ! She was 5 then.

ridefast

Visit site
My 7 year old has so far done 2 shows, 2 intro dressage tests, and 4 fun rides. And lunged over jumps no bigger than 2ft. I don't think I'm wasting her at all. I know she's capable of showing every month, competing at a higher level dressage every week and doing several seasons hunting and be jumping at blah blah. But I don't want to, maybe one day I'll take her hunting and I'll probably do more fun rides but it's not the end of the world if she never does anything more than hacking, as that's what I enjoy the most. She enjoys eating the most.

OWLIE185

Visit site
The only advice I would give you is to take him out for a gentle hack at a walk each day just to get him smelling, hearing and seeing things outside the immediate environment of your yard and to get his hacking established. Now is the ideal time as we have long daylight hours so if you want to miss traffic etc. one can hack out first thing in the morning or in the evening.

zaminda

Visit site
This is one of my pet hates. I am in the process of starting a horse for someone, it is just turning 7, and had been pretty much untouched before she got it last year. She got so much grief for getting one who was so old and done nothing. Slowly does it, I'd rather have a riding horse for over 20 years than rush it and break it. Been there done that, never again.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I have never heard of a horse having problems from doing too little. I think its even more important to take things slowly with a big horse.