Amateur Height Changes

michelleyork

Visit site
Evening All,

Just been on the BS website and seen the changes of height and rules for the 2013-2014 amateur classes.

What are your thoughts?

We now have an 85cm, 95cm, 105cm and 110cm (110cms is run under a10 rules).

Personally for me this really doesn't suit as I am comfortably jumping 1.10 at the moment and was looking forward to using the 1.15 as a step up for a horse that has all the scope but not feeling ready to jump a fox.
Also I have seen the 90cm at the final and that is exceptionally fast - is the 85 going to be even quicker??

Interested in other people's opinions on this please, just to see if I am in the minority or not :)

Thanks
Michelle

JustMeThen

Visit site
I can see why they're ditching the 1.15 as not enough people wanted to do it but a 1.10 under A10 will mean part of the course is 1.15 and jump-off 1.20 anyway won't it, so doesn't seem much point in changing! (Although it still might be a good step up for your horse, OP?)

michelleyork

Visit site
I am struggling with the logic of the addition of the 85cm as well to be honest!

The 110 run as a10 is great for me to jump, but where is the progression after that and a nice class to qualify for? That is where I am disappointed.

dianchi

Visit site
Is this because "club" hasn't been that popular?
I went to a club show last week and there was only 2 in the 1.05 class?
By dropping down to 85cm will this encourage people to be full members rather than club?

vam

Visit site
Im not sure who this is aimed for and helping. I do think it has something to do with the change that is going to be made to the way they catgorise shows but not use exactly.

On one hand the 1.05 might be a helpful class to make a step up to 1.10m but then centres often run them as opens anyway.

The plan was to jump 1.10 by the end of winter before my horse broke but i really would not like to try and jump a third round if by some fluke we got through, i think it would be a step to far for green horse and rider but that might just be me. I can see that they might help bridge the gap between 1.10 and 1.20 this way but not nearly as well at a 1.15 which is what i would have used if i ever got the talent to move up past 1.10m.

Are the heights not the same as Trailblazers now? If thats the case it seems like bs are trying to cash in on that market and as said above the club thing isnt doing very well.

I dont like the changes but i guess i will get used to them, i suppose if my boy can jump again i will use them to get back into the swing of things.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Should of kept the 1.15 and ran it as A7, A10 is ridiculous for most people jumping 1.10,after all these are amateur classes but,in BS what does define amateur? We really don't need any smaller classes the 90cm finals are a rat race as it is,cant imagine what the 85 will be like!

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
yes, the lower levels are now the same heights as Trailblazers, not sure how many trailblazers competitors will make the switch though as will rack up more expenses becoming members and registering horses.

For me I am most unhappy. I am not a brave rider and have no wish to scare myself, I am a fat middle aged lady who competes for fun and like riding over a well built course with a something to aim to qualify for at the amateur finals. I was happy enough to jump the 90cm and the 1.0m (jump off quite big enough in that class for me thank you). Now my choice is 85cm or 95cm, both of which I feel is a backward step for me. I had no intention of looking to move up from the 1.0m to the 1.10, that would scare me as would a the new 1.05m. Basically to keep jumping with something to aim for I have to take a step backwards. The alternative is to find a show centre that is running a 1.0m open combined with a Discovery class (my horse is out of disco). That option gives me another class but nothing to aim for qualification wise.

Trailblazers looking quite appealing and cheaper from where I am!

montanna

Visit site
Think with my last horse I would have been the only one that would have benefited from the changes! I used to jump the 90cm and 1m on him at amateur shows, sometimes 95cm open instead of the 90cm if they had one. I would have liked the new opportunity to jump the 95cm and 1.05m instead, as they never seemed to have 1.05m opens, only 1.10m which was a bit too much of a jump up for us. The only 1.05m opens seemed to be on progressive days which were usually midweek so a no go.

michelleyork

Visit site
SillyGillyHorse.......I believe I know you ;) xx

So glad I am not the only one who is not happy with the changes that have been forced upon us. I just feel the ability to progress if we want to is slowly being taken away from us. Not every one wants to race around an 85, in the same way that not everyone wants to scare themselves around a 115 - but surely there should be a choice? If changes are to be made how about involving the members in that decision? Easy enough to send out a survey, or even put a survey on the BS website - with social media the way it is surely that should be straight forward?