Amateur Riders How many are truly amateurs?

paddi22

Visit site
I think people should attain 'pro' status through results. Ie once they have reached a certain level with a particular horse they compete as a pro or HC. That's how they do it in triathlon - it is hugely prestigious to be able to race in the 'elite' waves of a triathlon and not with the age groupers.

That's a really interesting theory, and can totally see the logic in it.

The yard owner one is a line that had to be drawn, There would be no way of deciding between who the 'good' and 'bad' riders were in yard owners. There is also the idea that even if they aren't good riders they DO have access to arenas, facilities etc much easier than someone who has to commute an hour after work or pay for arena hire.

Visit site
I very strongly feel that no one in an amateur class should make money from horses - whether that is through being paid for rides, owning a livery yard, teaching or whatever.

I am excluded from the majority of amatuer and home produced showing classes because I work ride racehorses for a living. That's as far away from showing as you can get! But I get the idea behind it.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Essentially its not a line between 'pro' and 'amateur' - its between amateur and 'open'.
So the person who owns a yard but isn't much good- it doesn't make them a pro rider, it just makes them ineligible for amateur classes. I think the old 'sportsmans' name for it was actually more appropriate.