amateurs dressage horse best breeds?.

headcollaruk

Visit site
Hi can any amateurs who have competed successfully at dressage ie regionals etc share there experience of breeds of horses that are quality moving enough to compete but sane enough for amateur rider.
Thanks

Missadelaide

Visit site
I can't help personally, but I think as well as looking at breeds, you want to look at bloodlines in terms of temperament. I personally feel that breed doesn't have that much to do with it in basic terms, but for dressage I would assume you would be looking towards a warmblood?
When we bought an amateur's dressage horse for my Mum, we were told by the producer who sold us the mare that he finds the Dutch horses tend to have far easier temperaments, however he was not specific on bloodlines. Mum's mare is Dutch and we've had her since a 3 year old, she's now 5 and considering my Mum is an amateur and not particularly confident, the mare in question has been fantastic, no malice in her at all. I can't say if this is true to type or whether we were just lucky!
My Aunt on the other hand has a Gribaldi horse, who again is very talented but was tricky as a youngster. I'm not in the know enough on warmbloods, but I would look into character traits of certain bloodlines and draw your conclusion from there.

Batgirl

Visit site
Really wouldn't put much stock in breeds, at the Dressage events I help run the winners have been ex racers, shire cross, cob, warmblood, ish. All gone to regionals at different points. You want a horse you can enjoy with tidy paces x

ihatework

Visit site
I wouldn't get to hung up on breeds, just judge the horse in front of you. I'm a real amateur, have qualified 4 different horses for regionals. First was Dutch gold (bwb) x tb - second was ID x tb - third was TB x ISH and 4th and current is unreg pony x trak x ISH

headcollaruk

Visit site
Thank you for your replies. I think by what you have said i will be open minded in terms of breed and look more at bloodlines for temp.

Ionadiamond

Visit site
My andalusian was a cracking horse before I had to retire her early. She was quite spooky, which is unusual for a notoriously laid back breed, but so nice to handle at shows, easy to calm down, and when she got things right she REALLY got it right.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
As the above posters say, you can't really be breed specific, it's down to the individual horse, its own natural talent (which may be from its bloodlines) and also how it is produced.

But, I have recently bought a wonderfully sane, just turned 5 year old Connie x ISH with great paces and a lovely temperament to do dressage with. He may not be a standard dressage horse and is certainly no fancy WB, but although it's early days, I think I have something special that most amateurs would be pretty happy with. :)

Last edited: