Amazingly embarrasing showjumping fails? make me feel better !

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
please someone make me feel better! I went to a big charity show at the weekend, took my pony in the 2'9 class, got in the ring and despite having walked the course twice went totally blank. The buzzer went and I had a panic attack, suddenly felt very alone in the ring :p I knew fence 1 so headed to that, managed to recall 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7, 8, got over 8 and the jump off clock started, cantered aimlessly and somehow ended up at 9 and felt awesome as I was going fast and knew 10 11 12.. but crap where the ******* was 13?! Saw the jump on the right turn with the number 3 so without engaging my brain I jumped that, so cut in sharp and was still going clear, then zoomed over the last.

"Unfortunately charlotte jumped the wrong course"

I'd jumped 3 instead of 13 :( the fence I'd been staring at for an hour thinking " I hate that fence, I'll be glad when im over that" and I jumped the bloody thing twice and on a crazy angle ! Worst bit was that fence 13 was a lovely neat spread , my favourite kind of jump and was right next to 3.

Please someone make me feel better with your fails!! Major embarrassed and kicking myself :p

Orangehorse

Visit site
We travelled miles to a show, got lost,so I missed my class. So my sister put me in the Open Novice on a 13.2 pony. Fences were huge. Going was desperate and muddy. Pony was heroic and jumped them all clear. Elminated as I had missed the second to last fence.

Same pony cantered up to the first fence, stopped, put her head over the fence and I slowly fell down her neck to land on the other side!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I fell off at the trailblazers champs and had a nice in air photo taken of me! When I purchased it got the nice words of 'oh that awesome falling off shot' lol. Embarrassing. I also took her bridle with me when I fell off and 3 people tried to stop my mare but she merrily walked out with 3 people hanging off her shoulders!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
We travelled miles to a show, got lost,so I missed my class. So my sister put me in the Open Novice on a 13.2 pony. Fences were huge. Going was desperate and muddy. Pony was heroic and jumped them all clear. Elminated as I had missed the second to last fence.

Same pony cantered up to the first fence, stopped, put her head over the fence and I slowly fell down her neck to land on the other side!

Feeling much better haha, not only me that cocks up the 2nd to last fence :D I fell off at the first fence once , pony stopped in mid air then spun round and turned the other way.

Slumdog, I think that's quite an achievement !

JFTDWS

Visit site
I once won a 90cm class on my hairy cob with 24 faults. Everyone else was eliminated. We had so many faults, the judge LOST COUNT of how many refusals we had and eliminated us at the last fence, kicked us out of the arena, then realised and asked us to come back in and jump the final fence. That was... er... interesting ;)

And then there's the Daemon who didn't look at a tiny little show jump the other day and...

10375125_231420510400336_7345895430653403273_n.png

slumdog

Visit site
I've also forgot the course 3 times and I travelled 2 hours and paid £27 entry to jump the HOYS qualifiers and had the first fence. My husband thought I was going to put my hand up and come out!

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
First ever BSJA show and horse spooked at the inflatable Santa in the corner (who's wouldn't?! Apparently just mine...), ran into the first fence and I fell into the water tray that had water in. Everyone was in silence, horse ran out and I was left walking out the ring alone with see-through soaking wet white joddies...

Cringe.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
omg JFTD that looks horrific ! hope you were both ok, good camera person I might add ! I forgot the course on a related distance, just how?! I stopped I the middle and looked up at the commentator box and said "i'm lost" I got buzzed out as it was a kick-you-out-if-you-don't-go-clear class. Walk of shame. The first fence is nowhere near as bad as having the last fence, I've done that far too many times. I think i'd spook at an inflatable santa!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I once won a 90cm class on my hairy cob with 24 faults. Everyone else was eliminated. We had so many faults, the judge LOST COUNT of how many refusals we had and eliminated us at the last fence, kicked us out of the arena, then realised and asked us to come back in and jump the final fence. That was... er... interesting ;)

And then there's the Daemon who didn't look at a tiny little show jump the other day and...

You couldn't make that up, it's like a monty python sketch! Love it :D

Op if it helps I walked into my sj ring at a ode recently, had a complete mind blank and forgot the course. Had the steward yelling it at me as I cantered off, while the judge was shouting at me for starting late...

Eta I meant the faults etc not the face plant, which looks really painful!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I'm going to put it down to standing around for 6 hours waiting for the class, i'd already jumped one and they changed the course so it confused my brain :( I need someone in the middle yelling the course to me :p showjumping callers, they should definitely do that !

JFTDWS

Visit site
omg JFTD that looks horrific ! hope you were both ok, good camera person I might add !

Both fine and dandy, thanks. Missed the full rotation from the pony and my super stunty roll out of the way though - impressed she got as much as she did!

Lost on a related distance - nice one! :D

You couldn't make that up, it's like a monty python sketch! Love it :D

Op if it helps I walked into my sj ring at a ode recently, had a complete mind blank and forgot the course. Had the steward yelling it at me as I cantered off, while the judge was shouting at me for starting late...

Eta I meant the faults etc not the face plant, which looks really painful!

If Monty Python had done sj sketches, it absolutely would've been that!

I'm going to put it down to standing around for 6 hours waiting for the class, i'd already jumped one and they changed the course so it confused my brain :( I need someone in the middle yelling the course to me :p showjumping callers, they should definitely do that !

Sat nav. Between the ears. Everyone needs one!

MadJ

Visit site
The horse I'd been jumping Foxhunter on had had some time of due to an abcess. Took her to an unaffiliated show to let her blow the cobwebs out and promptly got jumped and dumped at fence 3 in an 85cm class. Walked out the ring to the sound of my farrier wetting himself laughing.
And, although not showjumping, on the same horse got jumped off giving someone a lead over a 1'6" xc fence!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
JFTD, my mum said she's going to buy me a horse and call it TomTom and then stick a sat nav on the headpiece of it's bridle. I don't think it's a bad idea, reckon it would be allowed in the rule book? I think jumping the wrong fence is almost acceptable, getting lost on a related distance deserves a permanent ban from competing :p

Lolo

Visit site
My sister used to get completely lost SJ on her cob. But they got so practised at her going completely blank that he would grind to a halt, then restart after she'd found her bearings again, without any fuss at all...

My most embarrassing moment has to undoubtedly be the time I jumped off my horse and over the fence a stride early. I was very sore from the previous week where I'd had a really horrible fall and had been trampled, and I was also very nervous... I hit the back pole head first, hard enough for my hat to bruise my forehead...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1279957446136&set=vb.1446041645&type=3&theater
The video, for your amusement... I promise I'm actually vaguely competent despite what this shows!

khalswitz

Visit site
Me and Geoff have had some crackers of showjumping fails. Lots and lots off at minute stops at innocuous fences, lots of me flying through the air at fence 1 or 2, me getting lost in the jump off after pulling off a spectacular gift turn that no one else did - and then aiming for the wrong fence and circling so crossing tracks. Have also had him TRY to stop at 60cm and get chased so hard by me he has literally slid through the middle of three jumps in a row. And the other day he jumped beautifully clear, only to spook horrifically at nothing in the corner of the ring to send me flying off - elimination.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I managed to get eliminated at fence 1 showjumping phase of a BE90. If that's not embarrassing enough I should add I was competing on a Grade B showjumper who had many wins over 1.30mtr tracks.

MagicMelon

Visit site
My worst was at BSJA years ago with a very opinionated warmblood. Didn't stop once in the warm-up but in the ring he refused the first jump and I fell off in BOTH classes. That was a bad day, cost me about £30 and I didn't jump one fence in the ring! I also eliminated myself from an ODE a few years back for missing the last fence in the show jumping!

HotToTrot

Visit site
Oh, hello.

1. Inter-schools jumping (YEARS ago!) my rein snapped and pony jumped about five fences backwards before I could pull up.

2. BS on old mare, just happened to fall off in mid air during an otherwise perfect jump; commentator sounded slightly surpirsed as announced I was eliminated.

3. BE on Vito, totally forgot where was going, slowed to very steady canter, then trot, then walk, trying not to circle/stop, realised where I was going and set off like a bat out of hell to avoid time faults.

4. BE on old mare, forgot a fence, realised, circled back for it, jumped the last, realised it wasn't the last, circled back for the last...

WindyStacks

Visit site
I was asked to do a demo for pony club.

Came a cropper at the first fence and bear the scar 25 years later.

Left the ring limping to stunned silence.

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site

Glad you are both OK! That looks nasty :-/

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
There was a championship show I attended a couple of years ago where despite having qualified to get there so quite capable of jumping ;), I fell off in the first two classes due to Topaz deciding that everything might eat her. We then got a huge cheer and round of applause in the last class, not because we went clear, or even made it round we still got eliminated but I DIDN'T fall off :eek: oh the shame!

Or there is of course last year, when we were preparing for our first BE event so we had done a few unaff ODE successfully, been xc schooling and were at a SJ comp to keep our eye in, when we managed to have a rotational fall over an 80cm jump and I broke my collar bone so was off games for the rest of the season, mega fail :rolleyes: :eek:.

On my show pony before we gave up trying, we pretty much never got past the first jump and the only time we did I had no clue what came next as I was so shocked she had actually jumped it :D.

Some cracking stories, but JFTD I'm glad your ok rotational's are always nasty!

x x

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Loving the stories! on the subject of failed tack, I was at a SJ (same venue I got lost at) and in the jump off, I made a tight turn to the last fence and my saddle slipped right round. I took feet out stirrups and somehow hung on over the last! I think I must make a good spectacle when I go in. I've also gone in and jumped the full course when fences were blocked off- was a small class for my horse's first show and I did wonder why the jumps suddenly went up a lot at the end. I didn't notice the numbers had moved!

Visit site
I entered a chase me charlie with my pony who I know has a bit of a pop so thought i'd give it a go. I got eliminated at the first round which was 70cm! *facepalm*