American prices

MiniMilton

Visit site
Another thread got me looking at American prices. It's given me a right chuckle on a Sunday morning.

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-3025531.html

Or maybe I should be crying? I sold a practically identical cob minus a zero. I think I should buy her back and sell her in the US instead

Edited to add
Sorry I only just looked at the location, its Canada. Don't go mad!

Last edited:

Grinchmass

Visit site

Nicnac

Visit site
Is that breeding kosher? The old mare of wales? Sounds like some old mare kept in the back of a house in Pontypridd....

Love the fact he's husband safe!

Gypsy Vanner breed - where's Shils? IT'S A COB!!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Cobs have been priced like that for years in the States. People will pay a premium for a majikal Gypsy horse. Myself and one of my friends over there have been thinking that buying cheapy cobs here, shipping them to North America, and selling them for a gazillion dollars would be a pretty good money making scheme. Shame we have not a bit of capital between us to get it going.

MiniMilton

Visit site
Cobs have been priced like that for years in the States. People will pay a premium for a majikal Gypsy horse. Myself and one of my friends over there have been thinking that buying cheapy cobs here, shipping them to North America, and selling them for a gazillion dollars would be a pretty good money making scheme. Shame we have not a bit of capital between us to get it going.

In one of the ad's it said the stud fee for one was 5000. Buy one, ship it over, after one covering you would almost cover your costs already. Then retire and let the little gypsy stallion do all the work.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Problem is that we are loosing our best stock overseas. There's a massive difference between a badly put together horse and a superb example amongst any breed.
Prices amongst travelling folk for the best stallions have always been eye wateringly high. Its just that until recent times, the keepers never made it onto the open market.
In the traditional cob world, (as with WB's and TB's) all horses are not equal and the best go for serious money.

MiniMilton

Visit site
Problem is that we are loosing our best stock overseas. There's a massive difference between a badly put together horse and a superb example amongst any breed.
Prices amongst travelling folk for the best stallions have always been eye wateringly high. Its just that until recent times, the keepers never made it onto the open market.
In the traditional cob world, (as with WB's and TB's) all horses are not equal and the best go for serious money.

Did you watch the video of the ad I posted? Hardly spectacular and worthy of a 30k price tag. And it's a gelding so its not even a breeding prospect. Give me 2 hours and I could buy something similar here in Ireland for very little

MiniMilton

Visit site
I suspect it was my thread that got you looking ;)

Seriously, it is depressing how much horses cost over here, at least on the East and West coasts.

Prepare to be felled by the prices here: http://www.exchangehunterjumper.com/

Oh my! Those prices make the little guy you were looking at almost reasonably priced. How hard would it be to import one? I'd definitely look into it at the very least

Caol Ila

Visit site
LOL...Hunters! Yeah, those folks are bonkers in terms of what they'll pay for something that can canter nicely around a course of jumps.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Actually, there is a bit more to it than that. An American Hunter Jumper is a very specific type doing a very specific job and many people have tried to break into that market from over here (Ireland) only to fall short by not knowing the exact requirements.
LOL...Hunters! Yeah, those folks are bonkers in terms of what they'll pay for something that can canter nicely around a course of jumps.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yes, I boarded at a stable with a sizable contingent of hunter/jumpers when I was at uni in New England. I found it all mystifying, but then I was just a bumpkin from the wild west. They probably thought I was as crazy as I thought they were.

Last edited:

Pigeon

Visit site
They're mad for 'Gypsy Vanners' over there! It is crazy, I like to keep an eye on the ads because I find them interesting, and that's not an unusual price!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Not all cobby gypsy type horses sell for this amount over here. We also have the cheapie ones too. I know nothing about breeding vanners but I guess it's like any other horse, a lot of the value is in the pedigree.

I breed for 2 specific markets; hunters and jumpers, and it's true, the prices we sell for over here is high by comparison to the sales prices in the UK and Europe but you do have to know what the market wants, what age to sell particular youngstock, and you need a fairly decent grasp of desirable pedigrees.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It isn't only America and Canada where they are expensive, Australia and New Zealand import and breed with huge price tags. If we're not careful, our best stallions will be lost to breeders who have the money to buy and take them over seas.

khalswitz

Visit site
Actually, there is a bit more to it than that. An American Hunter Jumper is a very specific type doing a very specific job and many people have tried to break into that market from over here (Ireland) only to fall short by not knowing the exact requirements.

My instructor is American, came over here a couple of years ago and used to do hunters before she moved onto jumpers. She keeps saying my lad is a classic HJ horse - he likes his long low outline, has a smooth, impulsive but slower than SJ type canter, and jumps very smoothly and roundly as well as has his lead changes down pat. Plus looks like a classic hunter type. She keeps telling me if I sold him in the states he might actually be worth something... lol

armchair_rider

Visit site
I had an American housemate at uni, she was planning to buy a horse and take it back to the States with her when she graduated - even with shipping costs it was cheaper than buying there. That would have been the best part of 10 years ago and it sounds like things haven't changed.