Amigo Mio medium turnout- any good?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
As per the title, is it a great budget rug or is it cheap and nasty? :confused:

!B5!RPRgBGk~$(KGrHqIOKjQEyTngK7pCBMr--clLdQ~~_12.JPG

Would it make a good spare for me to get? My horses live out and we are in Wales, so it does need to be waterproof in lots and lots of rain. :rolleyes:

It's not worth my while buying something that's only showerproof! :p :D

Rosehip

Visit site
Im very tempted to get one of these for mini mummy, I have the amigo mio bug rug for both of mine, and they are fab, a couple of the liveries have amigo's (stable and t/o) for their horses and Im impressed by them, they seem to fit any shape well and stand up to weather etc. Will be interesting to see what others think! Sorry Im not more help Faracat!

0ldmare

Visit site
I just bought one for Barney about a week ago. It fits perfectly and he was very excited to be wearing a new rug (yes, really, he LOVES wearing rugs :confused: ) so has leapt about, rolled and bombed about in it in his excitement and it hasnt slipped at all. Also is waterproof so far. So, early days, but I would say I'm impressed so far

Only thing is the fabric feels quite light, so am not sure just how long it will last

Last edited:

ruscara

Visit site
I have one - it's brilliant and is now in its third (or is it fourth) year - no tears, leaks or anything. I would really recommend them! :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I thought that the Amigo Mio was new this year? :confused: Oh well, I could be wrong but it is cheaper than the standard 600d Amigo. I've been very pleased with my 1200d Amigo but I was hoping that this would be a good spare.

spike123

Visit site
I have one for my lad and it's great.I'm really impressed with it so far. I also have the amigo lightweight turnout and love that too,hence my reason for buying the amigo mio. So far it has stood up well to being rolled in,galloped about in and hasn't moved.Is proving waterproof as well so far!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks! :) That does sound promising.

Are your horses 'tough' on their rugs or do they look after them? Do you think that a 2yr old would shred it to pieces in minutes?

xena_wales

Visit site
I bought one for my 3yo at the same time as a 600D MW in a larger size. The main difference I found is that the nylon lining on the Mio is only on the blue bit, so the red bit is unlined, whereas the 600D MW is fully lined.

Ozzy has been wearing it for less than a week, but so far I'm pleased with it. It's very light, so I'm hoping that means it's comfy for him! Also makes it much nicer for me to handle. It hasn't leaked at all yet either.

ladyearl

vvv
My girly wearing her new one tonight for the first time so great to hear everyone being positive. It's mega wet tonight so will be a good test! It is lightweight in feel and the fill does only go in the blue bit but as she's pretty hardy I thought that would be ok. It keep all the essential bits cosy and goes slightly higher up her neck than her old AMIGO so fingers crossed.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
The mio turnout was lunched this winter in a med weight only from 5ft 6 upwards ( nxt spring a lite weight will be available in all sizes)
the outer up the top is fully breathable but the lower red half has no filling and is not breathable. Also the joint beween the two colours is not seamed so there is a chance it could leak but horseware say it shouldn't be a problem because it's so low on the horse. They wanted to make a rug which was a good price for all to afford. I'm still waiting feed back from customers

jaynej

Visit site
I bought my youngster one when they first came out and has stayed waterproof and in one piece despite her living out in it. I can really recommend it.

ClassicG&T

Visit site
I bought one last year, just a different colour, and it is the best rig i ever bought. It doesnt rub their chest, keeps them dry and warm, and i use it as an insulator or stable rug in the winter. Love it love it love it!

Izzwizz

Visit site
I personally would liken them to a better version of the Masta Zing range. Cheaper but slightly better quality than Masta, but dont feel they are better than the "higher" up Amigo range. The material is very thin, not so sure it would stand up to lots of rolling in mud and hard weathering. Rambo rugs are better.

shellonabeach

Visit site
What put me off the Mio was the 600D fabric and the fact my 600D amigo LW are not always reliable in a heavy downpour.

For similar money Hope Valley Saddlery are doing 1200D medium weight turnouts for £45 which is what I opted for when getting my boy a new Amigo MW this year.

Mancha

Visit site
They are fantastic rugs, would definately buy another! The only thing i would say is go up a size for horses with broader shoulders/chunkier necks.

cob&onion

Visit site
I have just bought this rug for my cob, hopefully won't be needing it for a while as only having a bib clip and considering her coat shes already grown she is plenty warm enough :)

I have the amigo LW sheet which has just finished its 3rd season on my TB and still good as ever :D

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Does anyone know if I can attach my Rambo neck to this rug? x

No, you would need to get the oblong rings sewn on by your local rug repairer as they don't come with the attachments already on the rug. I believe that the Amigo Bravo and Hero come with the attachments, so maybe a better option for you?

BeckyCandy

Visit site
Didn't fit my welshie at all and he's only 3 so still very weedy. It looked like I had out a foal rug on him :/ put it on my other pony who is not a rug ripper and in one night it was in shreds. She must have walked under the tree. Won't be buying one again :)

longdog

Visit site
I class these as 1 season rugs - if you are lucky!
The 600D fabric is very light & will not withstand much heavy rain or, playful youngsters.Having said that, they are useful spares, but I would not have them for my everyday rugs. The 1200D are much better.