Amigo/Mio vs Pessoa or Gallop turnout rugs

npage123

Visit site
I don't know if anyone have also noticed, but I'm sure the new Amigo and Mio rugs have become quite significantly more expensive (on ebay). I always used to think I might as well buy a new one instead of having an existing one washed, reproofed and sometimes repaired, as it used to work out much cheaper than buying new ones. However nowadays it seems cheaper to wash and reproof.

Doe anyone know the fit of the Pessoa/Gallop turnout rugs compared to any of the Horseware Ireland ones, or any other alternatives with a similar cut toe the HW rugs? I am reluctant to buy a new brand, as I know none of the Amigo/Mio/Rhino etc ever rubs him.

Can't understand why there's so very few 2nd hand HW rugs available either? Maybe because people have started hanging on to the ones they've got?

(PS I have tried Saxon, Weatherbeeta, Masta, Maxima and Shires in the past but they rub him,so they're not an option.)

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I like Gallop rugs. They are cheap and cheerful and for chucking out rather than repairing / washing after 3 or so years which is very cost effective. Haven't had them rub any of mine but nor do shires rub them. The necks are quite generous I would say so perhaps not great on a small fronted horse.

npage123

Visit site
Thank you for your input FfionWinnie. That sound promising. I used to alternate between 2 Amigo's, one in use and one in my washing machine wash, until my horse managed to tear one of them. So I'm toying with the idea of buying a 2nd lightweight turnout, just in case the 'intact' Amigo gets broken too, then I'll still have a 2nd lightweight, even if it's not an ideal fit, whilst the Amigo is being repaired. I can then use the 2nd rug, eg the Gallop, whilst the better fitting one is being repaired.

rachk89

Visit site
I like the gallop rugs as my horse doesn't or can't remove them. He removes and destroys amigo rugs with ease.

Shay

Visit site
We've also done well with Gallop rugs - but again not prone to rubs (although I do use bossy bibs). I only repair the expensive heavy weights - the lightweight ones cost less to replace than repair unfortunately. Not good for the planet really - but I do donate the damaged ones to a local sanctuary who repair them in house.

Seville

Visit site
Gallop for me, too. I like the shape of the neck on the standard rugs and they fit well. I have several, turnout and stable, they are not at all expensive and are really smart. I have a cotton stable sheet that is incredible value, and a quality that usually costs more.

JillA

Visit site
I've got the Amigo half neck and the various layers - nice and flexible, not a huge number to store or buy, they serve as rain sheets, 100gm liners, 200 gm, 300 gm and then you can double up to get thicker. And the liners act as stable rugs. Bit of a faff changing but works well for my lot.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a few gallop rugs and they have been really good recently bought 2 100g turnouts only £35 each they fit really well on both my Arabs, I have a few fly rugs as well they were only £22 and have lasted fairly well only have a few holes them, I find the amigo rugs don't stay put they tend to just move around to much on my horses.