Amigos for big chests

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that the Amigo XL is the only rug that they make that fits horses with larger chests!

Sam's chest seems to have grown a lot since last winter! so I think weatherbeeta rugs are going to have to be sold to get something a bit more generous.

Thinking the larger Amigo or a Mark Todd?

any other suggestions/

FDLady

Visit site
Amigo XL are the only horseware big chested rugs and i more or less swear by them. I wouldn't touch Mark Todd for anything with a wide chest - they are quite tight fitting in my experience. They are about as useful as weatherbeeta's "wide" range.
If you are looking for turnouts i found the Shires Highlander Range a good cheap alternative alongside Premier Equine, Bucas, The Big Horse Shop and of course Amigo XL.

My ISH mare (16.1hh, 7ft rug and 60/62" girth - in someone elses words today built like a tank on steroids) is currently in Amigo XLs as stable rugs and Shires Highlander turnouts. I would try a regular Amigo rug on first before buying the XL though as the amigos are quite generous as is - the only issue i had with them was the depth.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the advise! I will avoid the Mark Todd then, I used to use them years ago on Kelsey as she had a big chest but Sam's is much wider now!

He's like a 16'1 chunky connie, you wouldnt know there was any TB in there

He's had an amigo mio when he was 2 and it was like a mini skirt on him, he's very deep in the body, so I don't think a standard will suit him!

Auslander

Visit site
I'd second trying the Amigo standard first. Alf is 17hh, with big shoulders, loads of heart room, and a deep girth, and all his rugs are standard Amigos. The only time his shoulders have ever rubbed, it was a Mark Todd wot dunnit!

ashlingm

Visit site
I've Irish draughts and Irish cobs and found the Rambo XL a super fit for them. They're made to be 20% deeper around the neck and belly. I also had normal rhino and amigo rugs for them but had to use them with the chest expansion thingy...not ideal but worked when I was stuck or came across a bargain! This might be a solution to save you buying a whole new wardrobe?

Have you looked at the Optimo range from Horseware. I would say these are on par with the XL ...possibly even roomier! I've optimos for them all! I love that they have the liner system too - I can stick the liners in the wash if they get dirty. Be warned though, that they do come up HUGE size wise. *All* the horses had to go a size smaller (my mare is a 6'9 in every horseware rug but needed a 6'6 optimo). Super rugs, can't recommend them enough!

Milkmaid

Visit site
Have just purchased a Weatherbeeta Wide lightweight for my heavy cob. Will report back when I've tried it on him this morning!
He's also got a Turnoutmasta which fits brilliantly.
There is Big Horse Shop too. He had one of those but outgrew it.

whizzer

Visit site
I tried shires highlander & h zone on my broad chested mare & both too tight,however weatherbeeta are ok on her,I've got an old WB combo & bought their new one with liners which both fit well. Also got a ruggles rain sheet which fits well in the shoulder/chest area but the one thing I don't like is that the front where it meets folds back & goes gappy,other than that I really like it but this put me off buying other ruggles rugs for her, I'm wondering if I get some more Velcro on that might help...
I love HW rugs as they fit my old TB really well but I was put off the XL range as I decided I wanted the option of having liners as well for the mare.

ironhorse

Visit site
Second the recommendation for Rambo Optimo - they are quite a bit more expensive but a great fit on my big-shouldered QH who gets rubbed by everything else. Also very good quality and hard wearing - I did try an Amigo XL but he ripped it! Is has since been mended and is kept as a spare :|
The Amigo was also rubbing a bit without a liner.

Annagain

Visit site
I use Fal and Premier Equine on my large shouldered and chested boy. Both are great but the PE needs to be the (more expensive) styles with leg gussets, not the cheaper models. PE are particularly good for horses with deep girths too as they seem a fair bit longer than other makes.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm not too keen on buying a really expensive rug and he's got some barbed wire in his field and he does tend to rip them at least once a year! so will see if I can find any bargains in any sales!