An Appeal For Your Help, Advice or Support.

Boodle

Visit site
This is a post I have considered a few times before. With the help and support of one person in particular on this forum (who I will not name, but will let her come forward if she wishes to be named – she deserves a lot of credit) I have built up the courage to post.

In Autumn 2005 I started grooming Bill a 5yr old Friesian Stallion. It was understood I would be paid to groom him a few times a week. This continued and eventually I began riding him.

In Jan 2006 Pally arrived, a 17hh 9yr old gelding. He apparently had teeth problems and had been sent to this place to keep Bill company as he was too much for his owner.

Pally went lame with a superficial flexor tendon injury in May 06. I established he was lame, called the vet, and arranged for him to have a stable at the yard I kept my horses at. I looked after him for the time he was in, cleaned him out, fed, bandaged, lead out, etc etc. I received no payment for my services and the rehabilitation of him.

The injury was not serious and he was turned back out in June 2006.

Bill and Pally lived well together for about 15months, with me riding, grooming, caring for, checking, rugging, watering etc both horses. Pally dropped quite a lot of weight in the winter but regained it in Spring and Summer. I took Pally to the beach, out to Rowallan and generally rode them both, improving their manners both on the ground and under saddle. I also ensured the farrier came out when he was required to and wormed both horses off my own back.

In September 2007 I found Pally lame on his near hind. I arranged for the vet to come out and was advised to put Pally in. There was a shell of a 20 stable block being constructed. However there were no doors to the stables, no running water etc. We used large hay bales to keep Pally in for one night and bedded him on old hay as that was all that was available.

We managed to order in hay for feeding, hard feed, shavings for his bed and the gardener found a gate which was used as a stable door.

The vet came out on a few occasions to do scans etc and it was thought that it was Pally’s annular ligament that had been damaged.

He was kept on box rest and myself and my mother cleaned him out, gave him hay, fed him, watered him, groomed him, rugged him etc. We ensured he had all that he needed and ordered feed, hay and shavings as and when it was required. We billed it all to his owners.

We did not receive payment, once again, for caring for him.

In Oct/Nov (I can’t remember exact dates) we noticed Bill had lost a lot of weight and so my Mum asked the lady owner if we could open the gate to the other field to allow him through to better grass. She said she thought that’d be ok etc.
After a short while the male owner turned up at the stable and had a huge go at my Mum, telling her she was not to go up to the castle (their house) again and that she had bullied his wife. (Anyone who knows my Mum will know she is anything but a bully). And that he wasn’t going to be having a 16yr old girl (I was 17) telling him what to do with his horses. (Even though he has no clue).
After that, we did not return to the place for a week or so, until I can’t remember if we were asked to go back or went back out of sheer pity for the horses.
When we got back, Pally was on hardly any bedding, standing on the hard floor, his water bucket was inches deep and full of soaking hay, he had no fresh hay and no other water source.
We discovered all the sugar beet was gone and found it had been fed to him dry.

We returned to our routine and continued with what we had been doing.
After about 6 months of box rest for Pally vet instructed 2 x 30 min walks daily for a week, then light lunging on a surface etc. This was simply not possible at his current location (I did not have an hour per day spare to walk him out in hand, and there was no where to lunge him).
We explained this to female owner and explained that he would need to be properly rehabilitated or he’d go back to square one. We explained this could not be done at their place.
She said she’d phone the vet and find out what he said, but she never did… and then they just turned Pally out.
The following is the post from when they did it.
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/sh...amp;Search=true

Shortly after this, we walked away. This was his fetlock after he had been so wrongfully turned out.

SS102754.jpg

Since then I have not talked with the owners, we have given up on that front. We have had to walk away.

I stopped at the roadside the other day and saw the horses.

Pally’s fetlock now;
DSC04146.jpg

He walks strangely on it. He is hustled and bustled by Bill who is a stallion. Pally has cuts down his swirl/flank where either he has caught himself on the barbed wire fence or Bill has been trying to mount him.

Their feet are long (though luckily I arranged for their shoes to be taken off).
DSC04163.jpg

Bill’s foot.

In my opinion, any welfare organisations could not do anything yet? The horses are in relatively good condition. They are up to weight, they have plenty of grazing and I *think* they have water. Their feet are long but not so much so it impedes their walking. Pally is lame but not hopping and can walk around the field.

My fear is when winter comes, last winter Bill wrecked the rugs in his quest to find food, hanging over the barbed wire fences. There is only one entire rug, but the owners do not know how to put it on correctly. I fear the horses feet will go without attention and Pally’s leg will get worse with more mud etc.

DSC04165.jpg

This is Pally and I when I visited him, strange of him to show any affection but he stood with his chin in my hands and his head against me for a few minutes.

I don’t know what, if anything, I can do.

I have picture upon picture upon picture of me with these horses, of Pally on box rest, of how I cared for them.

It is clear how their owner (who by the way is loaded) does not give them the care and attention they require.

He is a wealthy man, and in my opinion he does not show his animals the attention the require, and he treated us, the people who helped him and kept his horses well for more than 2 years, he treated us like something on the bottom of his shoe.

I am now appealing for help. What can I do? Can I act?

I want to alert people to this, I want to make a difference, I want these horses to have the homes they deserve. He has no excuse for the lack of care he is showing. It is ignorance and his attitude that is causing this problem.

If you can help me and would like more information, if there is anything I can do… please tell me.

I am a young girl (nearly 18) trying to stand up for what I believe is right. I have had enough of shoddy horsemanship and I want to make a stand here, to make an example.

I intend on getting clear photographs, I intend to keep an eye on the inevitable deterioration of the horses, and not only the horses, the herd of highland cattle he also “keeps”.

I appeal to anyone and everyone now to please PM me if they have any advice they can offer to me, or just to tell me this is a lost cause.

Yours hopefully,

Kirsty.

P.s I do not like confrontation, I do not like any sort of argument. I am doing this and appealing for advice as I believe something has to be said. I would ideally like to do this without having to myself physically stand before him, or for my name to be mentioned. But I will, if needs must.

louise4208

Visit site
by no means do I think this is a lost cause, it's totally awful to hear of neglect like this. The only thing I can think of to say is to contact welfare organisations such as ILPH(they have just changed their name but cant remember what it is now) or SSPCA for advice, I hope they would be interested or be able to do something.
It must be so heartbreaking to see them and not know what to do. PM me if their is anything I can do (not too sure what though!).
At least they have you to fight their corner x x

littlemisslauren

Visit site
i really know nothing of this sort of thing but i just wanted to say that i wish there were more people like you and your mum about, i think i read another of your threads that was full of piccys of the both of them and you clearly adored them both.

i hope you are sucessfull (sp) and keep us posted!

karenpi

Visit site
Well done you. If there were more people about like you, maybe there would be fewer shocking cases of neglect around. I would call WHW (new ILPH), RSPCA, Redwings, anyone else you can find details for. Don't give up.

_April_

Visit site
Report it anyway. Is anonymous so you don't even need to give a name.
Maybe the embarassment of having SSPCA call out will make a difference - "freedom from pain" and all that.

Don't give up Kirsty. Also if you pass them regularly keep on with the photo evidence.

kerilli

Visit site
Agreed, don't give up. The horses need you to speak for them, which you are doing, most eloquently. Call the ILPH (or World Horse Welfare, or whatever they're called now) and see if they have a local rep who could come and talk to the owners. Explain that you have no axe to grind, you just want the horses to be properly cared for and not suffer through the winter. If that doesn't work (but it should) contact the nearest horse rescue charity. and the RSPCA.
Really hope you managed to get hold of someone who will make the owners listen.
I would describe your worries in a polite, carefully worded letter and send it to the owners, too.
I hope you aren't breaking your heart over these horses, when there is so little you can do for them. *hugs*

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
No real advice Boodle, but I just want to say that the commitment you show to Bill and Pally and to your own ponies really humbles me.
You are about ten years younger than me but I don't think I could have your strength, resolve and maturity.

Right - soppy bit over - keep up the good work and hopefully these horses will get the care and attention they deserve.

Kenzo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i really know nothing of this sort of thing but i just wanted to say that i wish there were more people like you and your mum about, i think i read another of your threads that was full of piccys of the both of them and you clearly adored them both.

i hope you are successful (sp) and keep us posted!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know what else to say that everyone else already hasn't, I do hope you find the guidance/support you need to hopefully get a good outcome from all of this, it must be so soul destroying seeing what has happened, specially when you care for them like your own, credit to you for taking a stance and fighting for what you think is right, don't give up trying no matter bad and annoying it will get, too many horses are given up on, so keep at it, I do hope the owner comes to his senses, you just have to tread carefully, otherwise you will only upset the owners more and may make it even harder for you or an other organisations step in and assist.

Good luck and that photo of you both together is very touching, I hope things work out.

Boodle

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your advice and the PM's i've received, all are much appreciated.

So, first step, a factual letter, much like this post, containing clear photos (when I can get them - hopefully this evening).

I'm assuming I should include the name of the owner etc.

Is it legal for me to be taking photos of his horses?

My nearest is the SSPCA, will also try WHW (ILPH).... does anyone know of any other equine charities in my area (South West Scotland) that could act?
Could redwings etc act on this or are they too far away?

Many thanks again for all your advice and support.

Equus Leather

www.virtualdressage.co.uk
Send a copy of this letter to him, and to all your local papers and radio stations. I'm afraid embarrassment might be the only way you can solve this. Can you seriously not take these horses, even just for one night, until they can go to a rescue center? There must be someone on here that will put them up?

Fairynuff

Visit site
for the moment you can do nothing for these horses as there is nothing particularly wrong with them. You should keep an eye on them, photograph them once a week for any future action and wait. if they should start suffering then yes, report to ILPH but for now there really is nothing wrong with them that is reportable. I know, its hard to stand back and watch but it really is all that you can do. Mairi.
smile.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
I have just read the replies to your post and want to ask to the replyees exactly what they would report? From what I can make out-one is lame (many horses live out their last few years lame but not on 3 legs), they have scratches which may or may not be due to leaning on barbed wire, both a def not underweight and both must have water as no animal can live for long without. Now, leaving aside the carrots, fly spray, cornucresine and daily strapping, what is wrong with these two animals? You are advising someone to report supposed abuse now? Never heard of the 'boy who cried "wolf"? Leave well alone till the time is right (sadly). Mairi.

Flame_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Try Redwings, they do a lot of owner education, worked a treat near us.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is probably the best idea. I wouldn't hold my breath about these people taking any advice but as you say, the horses aren't in the sort of condition that would justify removal. At least then a decent charity would be aware of what was going on and you could keep them updated of any problems. It would give them the opportunity to prepare to take action as soon as they need to.

Brontie

Visit site
Im no good with the advice.

But I think what you are doing at your age, Is ruddy marvelous! So just well Done, And keep going for what you believe in. If only the horse world was full of people like you. You, Pally and Bill. Are some of the people I remember of this forum. And I congratulate you for everything you have done for those horses!

No help with the advice. But keep going!

Boodle

Visit site
The psephologist - There is no way I could take both horses no, I have 3 mares and Bill is entire. No way of keeping them seperate enough to avoidissues. But they would not require coming to mine anyway, there is no way they would be given to me.

Mairi - I entirely understand where you are coming from. Completely. I too wondered if there was anything any welfare ogranisations could do at this stage. I know that if no attention is paid they will be a case for welfare as their feet with be overgrown and Pally will suffer in the winter with no forage or rugs as there is not enough grazing to sustain the horses and cattle over the winter without providing hay. I just wasn't sure if I should start it now, if I should make welfare charities aware and able to monitor?

Thank you Brontie, that's very kind of you. I know what i;m doing isn't much but I am trying.

I saw the owner today at the village gala/funday he stood and watched as I went around photographing people for the newsletter. He was by himself the entire time and not one person made any attempt to converse with him - it figures.