An hour to save your life.....

gingerarab

Visit site
Just watched episode 3 amazed at the work these guys do, but really interested in the story of George the chap who had a fall from his horse.

Does anyone on here know him, would love to find out how he is getting on

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I watched it last night- I can't imagine and hope I never know how he felt when he realised lying on the grass he was likely paralysed.
He seemed quite up beat (incomplete spinal cord injuries are the worst in a way- as it's harder to come to terms with in some ways I think (from seeing patients with both incomplete and complete) as there is still a chance and this is good for some but can hinder some in moving on.
I hope he is still enjoying his life in the best way he can

LeneHorse

Visit site
Compulsive but difficult viewing. I thought George had an incredible attitude, the way he was calmly discussing his lack of mobility with the medics. It was as if he accepted that riding at speed over hedges is dangerous, and he knew the risks involved and it was just bad luck that it had happened to him. Hope he has made progress towards recovery.
I wonder if it would have made any difference if he had been wearing a body protector? (I assume he wasn't as couldn't see one in the film)

calmgirl

Visit site
I think his injury was in his neck rather than his back. So I'm not sure a back protector would have helped with the extreme neck flexion mentioned.
Hope he has steady improvement with his and his wife's positive attitudes and outlook.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Compulsive but difficult viewing. I thought George had an incredible attitude, the way he was calmly discussing his lack of mobility with the medics. It was as if he accepted that riding at speed over hedges is dangerous, and he knew the risks involved and it was just bad luck that it had happened to him. Hope he has made progress towards recovery.
I wonder if it would have made any difference if he had been wearing a body protector? (I assume he wasn't as couldn't see one in the film)

I don't think a body protector would have helped as essentially it was a hyper extension/hyper flexions injury rather than a boney injury. However an air jacket may have had more of an impact on the outcome as they do come up and protect the neck to help prevent hyper extensions and flexions.

Crackerz

Visit site
I want to watch this on catch up

I don't think a body protector would have helped as essentially it was a hyper extension/hyper flexions injury rather than a boney injury. However an air jacket may have had more of an impact on the outcome as they do come up and protect the neck to help prevent hyper extensions and flexions.

This is a good point about air jackets.

I was wearing a BP when i broke my lower spine in 4 places, it did nothing at all to help me, I landed flat backs against a wall then on to my head.

claracanter

Visit site
I too watched this and was struck by how calm and resigned he was to his injury so early on. It was desperately difficult to watch but he and his wife had such a positive attitude. All the hospital staff were incredible and I liked the A and E consultants no nonsense approach which came over as incredibly sensitive.I hope he is out of rehab and back home getting on with is new life.

applecart14

Visit site
I don't know him, but had tears in my eyes watching, especially given his long term prognosis. Very sad. I hope he has a happy life even though it will be drastically modified from what he had intended. Had a fall in 1997 which rendered me unable to move my arm in any direction at all for three days, I willed my brain to make my arm move but it wouldn't. Was very frightening, and that was just one arm. I can only imagine the sheer terror of not being able to move any of your limbs.

Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
So very scary, but what a wonderful attitude George had.
A young teen that I know who was deeply passionate about horses, and had her own stable block, menage etc at home, had an accident where she dived into deceptively shallow water and is now paralysed from the neck down. However, after months of physio etc she has made some improvement, and academically has excelled! She is taking a different path than the one she had imagined, but her attitude is fantastic and she is achieving everything she puts her mind to.
Sometimes I believe that the injury is not the defining matter. It is the attitude of the person who has the injury. And I am in complete awe of her, as I honestly believe that that sort of life changing accident would be the end of me.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I watched this today, an amazing man, his attitude was inspiring. I was pretty sure I saw them cutting off an air jacket but I'm happy to be corrected. However even if he was wearing one if the horse tripped on landing he might have travelled down with it and it not deployed in time.

I shall look forward to reading his blogs and hope he recovers as much as he can.

hobo

Visit site
Watched the program very moving. I have just read some of the blog and 6 months on has made me & OH cry with laughter, really should not laugh as it is true.

I hope that George and the (TV arial man) make good progress.