An isurance question

loopylucifer

Visit site
Im sure someone will know the answer to this.
I have a claim going through on the horse for vets fees. my policy runs out in Jan but I do not wish to renew with this company. As this is an ongoing claim how does it work? as it runs from when in injury happened for a year or up to the limit of the fees?
so for this cliam do i continue to go through this company even though have not renewed with them ordo i have to renew with them???

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
To safeguard your interests if this for prolonged and existing treatment and claims you will need to re-insure with the same insurers to safeguard your payment from them.

You would have to declare the injury/accident to any new insurers and they would probably exclude that part of your horses body from any future claim.

ladyt25

Visit site
Check your policy wording to be sure BUT you should be able to continue to claim (under most policies) for up to 12 months/365 days after the initial inicident date (or until you have used up fees allowed whichever comes first) irrespective of whether you renew the policy or not.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Why would you need to reinsure with the same insurers to safeguard payments? If the policy wording says, as 99% do, that you are covered for 12 months from the incident for a particular illness or accident, then if the insurer refuses to pay you when you don't renew, they would be in breach of the contract with you.

In response to the OP, I was in the same situation earlier this year. My horse was diagnosed with bone spavins in both hocks and insurer at the time paid out for the first lot of treatment. Policy was due for renewal 2 months later (while I was actually waiting for the second payment installment - insurer had paid for some but not the balance at the time) and I moved it to a different insurer. The condition I was claiming for was then, as expected, exlcuded from policy with the new insurer. My previous insurer has continued to pay the vet bills associated with his spavins, as he is still having treatment occasionally. They are quite slow in paying out but they have no reason not to, as I can keep claiming until June 2010 for spavins. I paid my premium to allow me to claim 5K of vets fees per incident / illness. If my old insurer had paid up for 1K (as they had when I moved) then refused to pay anymore, despite me still being inside the 12 months since start of claim, because I changed insurer, this would have been in breach of the contract so illegal, I presume. Either way, there'd have been hell to pay.