An Old Horse needs help asap

lucretia

Visit site
guys, one of my friends who lives in south londion has just emailed me to say that someone has put a ad on freecycle bromley looking for a new home for a 30yr old horse. this site is where you give things away you no longer have use for and i am sure offering an live animal is not allowed. but before we all go off on one think of the horse and if anyone in southlodon or kent has any bright ideas either go to the site if you are a member or pm me a number that i can pass onto them. i havent posted a link cos you cant access messages without being member. these people might be at their wits end and acting out of desperation. i just dont want to hear a horse has been killed running loose on the A21.

lucretia

Visit site
i have suggested all the obvious authorites but you know how long they can take, i figured this person must be desperate to advertise on that site so i a post on here wouldnt hurt.

LoneRanger

Visit site
Very sad indeed. Don't know anyone in this neck of the woods I'm afraid. Don't think I can add any more without going off on one. I think we all know the future looks pretty bleak for horses in this situation. Am stepping away from the keyboard now before I can type anymore...

skewbaldpony

Visit site
Freecycle have a nasty habit of allowing pets, but I think in this case if someone local would email the moderator and say, look, this simply isn't wise, you might get it removed.
Other than that, we just need someone in the area who can legitimately join the group.
When you answer an Offer, your email goes not to the group, but to the person making the offer, so you would then be directly in touch with the offerer, and could try to disuade or advise them.

lucretia

Visit site
i have asked my friend who is a member to send them my number and get theirs so hope we can sort something out. and the owner has fallen ill i believe it says for ll we know they might be elderly and this might be a totoally non horsey friend trying to help so i didnt want to talk to moderators before i had found all that out. and thanks though.

kbsaff

Visit site
Ok, I just managed to become a memebr of Freecycle and found the ad......

Due to owners ill health we need to find a new home for Sparkle who is
a 30 year old thoroughbred geilding (16.2 hands). He is a very kind horse who needs somewhere to retire to and live out the rest of his days in relative comfort. He would also be very suitable as a companion as he has always lived with others horses. He hasn't been riden fo manyyears so riding him would not be possible. Thanks for reading

Perhaps emailing him details of rescue centres would help ?

Daffodil

Visit site
What about approaching places like Greatwood Racehorse Rehoming near Marlborough, They do take in in emergencies TB's who are not technically racehorses. PM me for their phone number, if you think that would help.

kbsaff

Visit site
Right, this is what I have emailed him
Hi,
I've just seen your note regarding your old horse. Unfortunately I couldn't take him as he would be too big for our stables, but please, i urge you not to let your horse go to anyone who responds to an add like this.
You just don't know where he will end up.
I have had a look around and there are some wonderful horse sancturies in your area. I'm sure if you contacted them, they could provide a safe haven for Sparkle to live out his days.
I have put some of their details below. Please contact them as I'm sure one of them would be able to take your horse. At least if he is with them you know that he will have a loving home for life

FOAL Animal Sanctuary - Biggin Hill (Kent) 01959 572386
www.foalfarm.org.uk

Retreat Animal Rescue - London 07944 588399
www.retreatanimalrescue.org.uk

Last Chance Animal Resuce - Eden Bridge - Kent 01732 865530
http://www.lastchanceanimalrescue.co.uk/

the international League for the Protection of Horses - 01953 498682

Please Please give these numbers a call. They constantly take in horses and care for them due to owner's ill health.

lucretia

Visit site
well done thats fantastic, i already thought of foal farm and aslo have had a Pm from someone here so thank you all. i have sent the person my number as well in cas they need a hand sorting through any responses. i will be in the area tommorow. thank you all again x