An update - Advanced Medium fun!

star

Visit site
Been quietly plugging away at the old dressage lark since we did our last event early September. Did a couple of Advanced Mediums in early September and surprised ourselves by qualifying for the Area Festivals with two scores over 63% so also half qualified for Winter Regionals. Area Festivals didn't go quite to plan with the spooky silly orange thing not appreciating a new scary arena he'd not been in before and throwing in unwanted flying changes here, there and everywhere! He redeemed himself tonight at Priory though. Dressage in the dark and he coped very well (all that riding after work in the dark pays off!). We managed to complete our Winter Regionals qualification, a year to the day since we did our first Medium - he has just come on in leaps and bounds - still can't believe it! Despite another impromptu flying change ruining one of the simple changes and getting 4's for those 2 movements (expensive mistake!) he got 64.852% and would have been on plus 66% without that mistake. Gobsmacked the little orange dude is pulling this off and even more excitingly, there is loads more to come as I improve my riding (both my seat and ability to think quicker and prepare the movements better) and we get a few more tests under our belts (these were only our third go at each one).

2015%2B-%2B1

Vidoes in my blog:
http://competitiondiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/priory-bd-08-11-15.html

And just to reassure everyone we haven't gone dressage mad, we had a jump lesson on Thursday and jumped some cool, big fences which he appears to find sickeningly easy!
2015%2B-%2B2

We also did some XC schooling at Tweseldown with Bill Levett and he aced the new coffin complex and some chunky corners. Oh, and he's been for a bit of hound exercise and been like an over-excited child ever since!

If only I could clone him!

j1ffy

Visit site
Great to see an update and how well you're both doing (as ever!). Does he get bored with the BE tests these days or is he happy to deal with less pressure..?

star

Visit site
Great to see an update and how well you're both doing (as ever!). Does he get bored with the BE tests these days or is he happy to deal with less pressure..?

I've struggled more to get a good BE100 test out of him since moving up the levels in pure dressage. He doesn't really do working trot and working canter anymore and likes to ponce around in collected trot/canter. I do have to really ride him much more forwards in the eventing tests as they don't seem to like his Advanced Medium outline/paces.

star

Visit site
You'd be a rich lady if you cloned him!! Well done! Just out of interest - are your other 2 retired?

The 29yr old is mostly retired, just the odd hack these days. The other ginger one is on loan to a girl I work with. He does fun rides, hacking and a bit of low level schooling but will never compete again.