Anaemia and red blood cells - help pls

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Hope someone can offer a light. My GSD bitch has had bloods back today showing red blood cells at 4.2 (should be 5.5-8), distended belly. Initially we thought pyometra, but all clear on whites. Other bloods within perameters, but a couple slightly up. Vet did peritoneal (twice) and drew blood, x-ray today - vet couldn't see intestines due to poss fluid. Scan yesterday showed bladder ok.
Tara is having an exploritory tomorrow and vet thinks there may be a tumour.
She has been lethargic for a few days, completely off her food but has woofed down the liver I cooked for her tonight.
Hope someone can help, even if you have to tell it like it is.
Hx

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Liver bloods look ok, within perameters. Have just spoken to fb friend vet who suspects spleen and tumour. She has op around lunchtime tomorrow. Is there any hope at this stage?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I lost my bitch to a pyo last September, her bloods all showed clear but a scan showed the pyometra. Sadly although she survived the op she didn't recover as we had hoped. I do know of dogs that have had their spleens removed and made a full recovery, but obviously there are lots of other factors to be taken into consideration. Keeping everything crossed for Tara and you for tomorrow.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It depends on age and how strong she is.

Here's the tough talk - N had a tumour in that area the size of a football, literally sucking the life out of her and we had no idea because she was quite deep in the chest and a bit fat and spoiled - she went off her food and didn't want to go for walks very suddenly, while she was ten, she was fit and active and still doing long hikes. She went downhill very fast and while it was operated on, she died a short time later, it was too much for her.

Hope you don't mind me saying all that, you helped me out a hell of a lot when we were struggling and just want you to know - will be thinking of you both tomorrow xxx

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately we lost our baby Tara at 11.30am this morning. When the vet opened her up he found that she had a huge tumour on her spleen which was bleeding and the cancer had spread to her liver and kidneys. She was only 8, this is so heartbreaking and so unfair, I cant believe this is happening :'(